DetectoPro Question.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Anyone Go Underwater Successfully with a DetectorPro?

The underwater Headhunter is a nice outfit. The freq is almost like a 1280-X. For diving I don't like the headset nor the smaller coil, but it should hold up well with out dropping the phones on the driveway.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Have you actually gone under successfully with your Headhunter?
My headphones flooded first time underwater in less than 2 minutes. BOTH SIDES!
It never worked right again. DetectorPro did however replace all the electronics but Im afraid to go underwater.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Still looking for someone that has gone underwater successfully.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have not used the newer models underwater in a few years. I mainly use the Excal or CZ20 while diving as they are loud enough to hear thru a hood.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

DetectorPro claims that dropping the headphones causes hairline cracks that causes the flooding. I never dropped mine. The Headhunter Diver is no longer sold as an underwater unit. DetectorPro says they will still honor the warranty on the old units but will not repair hairline cracks, I guess, because they never offered to replace my cups and it was in for warranty 2 times. They did replace all my electronics and wiring so I could use it on the beach. The new HH Diver is now rated at only 6 feet. Mine flooded at about 4 feet. I dont understand. If its going to flood it will flood at 6 feet or 100 feet. I suggest keeping the headphones above water.

tb

Mar 24, 2005

Interesting that you had this experience. I have the Head Hunter PI. Mine flooded the very first time undewater, I was only in 4 feet of water. I haven't posted anything in a long time because we had a new arrival to our family and I haven't been detecting much. It was '06 when it happened. I sent it back to them and they promptly repaired it for free, but I haven't taken it underwater since then. They claimed I wasn't sealing the cap properly or that the O-ring was bad, I can't remember. Now that it's out of warranty it's not worth taking the chance even though I do dive. It is a great machine, but it's terrible that they now say it's only waterproof to 6 feet, that sucks.

tb

Mar 24, 2005

by the way, I didn't drop mine either.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

tb said:
Interesting that you had this experience. I have the Head Hunter PI. Mine flooded the very first time undewater, I was only in 4 feet of water. I haven't posted anything in a long time because we had a new arrival to our family and I haven't been detecting much. It was '06 when it happened. I sent it back to them and they promptly repaired it for free, but I haven't taken it underwater since then. They claimed I wasn't sealing the cap properly or that the O-ring was bad, I can't remember. Now that it's out of warranty it's not worth taking the chance even though I do dive. It is a great machine, but it's terrible that they now say it's only waterproof to 6 feet, that sucks.
But its NOT waterproof to six feet. The headphones will flood if immersed in a bathtub!
I dont understand how they could sell something like this. They replaced my electronics after I sent it back twice at my own expense. They did nothing to make it waterproof. I am using mine now in shallow water only, making sure my head is well above any waves. I am curious, what did they fix? Did they fix the electronics or the O-ring or both?

Another annoying problem that i have is that it beeps with the slightest movement. I tried tightening the shaft by using a plastic bolt and nut in place of the push button thingy. It still beeps at the end of every sweep left and right. The constant beeping is annoying. Does yours do this? Is this normal?

KSdiver

Sep 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab, Nokta Makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am glad I came accross this thread. I have been looking for a water detector to search the river this summer, and have been working on trading my Fisher CZ-5 for a used Headhunter diver. Based on what I have read, it sounds like it may not be a good idea. The HH I would be trading for is about 2 years old and in good condition.

Opinions please - Would you trade if you were in my shoes?? :-\

Thanks in advance!

KS

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

KSdiver said:
I am glad I came accross this thread. I have been looking for a water detector to search the river this summer, and have been working on trading my Fisher CZ-5 for a used Headhunter diver. Based on what I have read, it sounds like it may not be a good idea. The HH I would be trading for is about 2 years old and in good condition.

Opinions please - Would you trade if you were in my shoes?? :-\

Thanks in advance!

KS
Since I posted this question, I have yet to find anyone from TN that has gone underwater successfully with a DetectorPro. Mine flooded underwater the first time out in the surf for 2 minutes.BOTH SIDES!! It appears to be a bad design that even if it seals originally, will not hold up.If someone has gone underwater with one of these units, I wish they would post their story so we all can learn.

My experience with the HH PI tells me that if you plan to go underwater, do not buy a DetectorPro. If you plan on keeping your head above water at all times, then this unit may work for you, as all the electronics are in the headphones. It can survive a little water, such as rain, and I hose the sand and salt off mine carefully and have been allright so far. The O-rings have been upgraded on the PI so the newer units may have a better chance of surviving than the older ones. I have one of the older units, almost 2 years old now, still under warranty. You also cannot change coils on the older unit. I purchased my old style HH PI detector (without upgrades) brand new, with 2yr warranty, from the dealer for about $400. I would not buy the older type unless the price was right, or you dont need the improvements. I dont know if the upgrades were made on the HH Diver.

I would ask him why he is getting rid of it and why do you want to exchange your Fisher?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,41237.0.html

KSdiver

Sep 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab, Nokta Makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure why he is getting rid of the HH Diver.
I already have two land machines - an MXT and a Cibola.
Would love to have a water machine for this upcoming summer - I know of a few swimming holes to search.
Anyway, the CZ is in great condition - thought I would swap it for a water machine.
I think I may steer clear of the DetectorPro line - not worth the trouble.

Thanks very much for your input.

tb

Mar 24, 2005

Another annoying problem that i have is that it beeps with the slightest movement. I tried tightening the shaft by using a plastic bolt and nut in place of the push button thingy. It still beeps at the end of every sweep left and right. The constant beeping is annoying. Does yours do this? Is this normal?

I've noticed when I'm swinging the coil in the saltwater I will get false beeps, it is annoying, but I can still tell when it passes over a target.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

tb said:

I've noticed when I'm swinging the coil in the saltwater I will get false beeps, it is annoying, but I can still tell when it passes over a target.
Yes, if I sweep back over the target I can usually tell, but I wonder how many targets I am missing? It is also very hard to hear the deep targets with the constant feedback. >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions