Daytona 1 MD by Wilson-Neuman Inc. w/ PICTURES!!any information please!!!!

briankb70

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2008
river valley/ Fort Smith, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's DFX,Classic III, Prizim II
Daytona 1 MD by Wilson-Neuman Inc. w/ PICTURES!!any information please!!!!

Anyone have any information on this metal detectors? Also most of the knobs are self explanatory although some are not.
Any information would be helpfull.Like where they good in there heyday,original price (looks like they might have been expensive),and has anyone had a chance to use or own one , if so what's your memories concerning it ? I like the style myself,and the light weight, also appears to be all aluminum. I know that the manufacturer also made the Usika metal detector (a 2 knob wonder that was my first one)that I loved .I'll try to post some pictures this evening.I have to run to get ready for the darn Insurance claims adjusters.

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 970
  • side control box.jpg
    side control box.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,026
  • Control Panel side view.jpg
    Control Panel side view.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,243
  • control panel.jpg
    control panel.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 978
  • back section of control panel.jpg
    back section of control panel.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,010

casper

Nov 3, 2007
Re: Daytona 1 MD by Wilson-Neuman Inc. w/ PICTURES!!any information please!!!!

I have one just like it.I have the manual.It was made by WILSON-NEUMAN INC,4747 Good Rd,R.R.#2,Delphos,Ohio 34833 Phone # 419-339-1705 [But this is old] I have had it for 10 years,I got it on a trade.It works,but I never used it. Cost New $249.50. It is a Daytona Ranger.Mine was sold new by J/H DETECTOR SALES,86 Oak Street,Bridgeton,N.J. 08302, Phone: 609-455-3118...Hope this helps, Bob Uhl, Lakeland,Florida

OP
OP
briankb70

briankb70

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2008
Detector(s) used

thank you for the post. Would it be possible for you to scan your manual and pm or email it to me?
thelast knob and the 2 black switches are throwing me for a loop in particular.
also does the manual have a wiring diagram by chance. This thing is encased in Styrofoam that the batteries have leaked on.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others

I used to own one.

Don't expect any depth demon, even in lightly mineralized soil. It's a good conversation piece though (among detectorists). Wilson-Neuman made some better detectors later on before they went out of business and STER Neuman left the company.

The Wilson Coin Select was a good one. In fact it still is, and I have heard that they are sill being made and sell for around $400.

EasyMoney

OP
OP
briankb70

briankb70

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2008
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the response Easy Money.
I also read somewhere that they got into alot of trouble on copying other detectors I believe before the break up.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others

I didn't know that Brian. I know that the later ones were real sweathearts, but the only detectors they looked like were maybe Fishers, but they acted more like Tesoros with some real good iron disc capabilities. I wish I could get my hands on one of the later ones.

I'll have to remember that about the copying thing.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

It's been a long time since I used the Daytona I but at one time or another I've used almost all their models (1979-1983).

At this time I own a nonworking Daytona II that was recently given to me by some awesome people here on TN so I could remember the "good old days". I really enjoy holding it and seeing it.

But the truth is, these old machines didn't come close to today's modern machines. You're looking at maybe 3-5 inches coin depth max. (assuming it's working right).

Daytona Doug

Greenie
Apr 4, 2015
Big Stone Gap, Va.
Detector(s) used
Daytona Basic & Whites Prism 4
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our circuit boards were encased in epoxy and styrofoam. Any battery acid would have a hard time getting inside unless it went in thru the wires.

Daytona Doug

Greenie
Apr 4, 2015
Big Stone Gap, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Daytona 1 was made for hunting very trashy areas. Depth depended on settings and slow speed as well as owners expertise.

Daytona Doug

Greenie
Apr 4, 2015
Big Stone Gap, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Daytona II was made for relic hunting and the sensitivity control was more for ground balance. It had great depth in the all metal mode.

Daytona Doug

Greenie
Apr 4, 2015
Big Stone Gap, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The two switches on the Daytona I, were for sensitivity and ground balance. 2 and 5 worked best in most areas.

Daytona Doug

Greenie
Apr 4, 2015
Big Stone Gap, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RE: Rangar - The unique coil with the hump,was able to pick up a coin under pull tabs, while in pull tab reject.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Daytona 1 was made for hunting very trashy areas. Depth depended on settings and slow speed as well as owners expertise.
....Hey Doug....my mentor said that the Daytona 1 was more suited for the salt water beach....I did not know that it was made for hunting very trashy areas...I must have an early model Daytona 1....my model only has the one slide strip for the depth and sensitivity marked 1...2....and 3....it has no variable discrimination...it must have factory pre-select discrimination??....Thanks

Last edited:

Daytona Doug

Greenie
Apr 4, 2015
Big Stone Gap, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....Hey Doug....my mentor said that the Daytona 1 was more suited for the salt water beach....I did not know that it was made for hunting very trashy areas...I must have an early model Daytona 1....my model only has the one slide strip for the depth and sensitivity marked 1...2....and 3....it has no variable discrimination...it must have factory pre-select discrimination??....Thanks
Hi Joe! It sounds as if you may be referring to the BASIC Daytona, with no speaker. It has the SALT water mode and has often been mistaken as the Daytona I.

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to own one.

Don't expect any depth demon, even in lightly mineralized soil. It's a good conversation piece though (among detectorists). Wilson-Neuman made some better detectors later on before they went out of business and STER Neuman left the company.

The Wilson Coin Select was a good one. In fact it still is, and I have heard that they are sill being made and sell for around $400.

EasyMoney
Would you please let me know who the manufacturer is? I was interested in this machine when it was in regular production, but could not afford it at that time.

I would like to contact them to obtain some more information.

Thanks.

CCadrin

Mar 24, 2008
The info that is on the back of the manual is:

Wilson-Newman Inc
4747 Good Road
Dephos, Ohio 45833
419-339-1705

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The info that is on the back of the manual is:

Wilson-Newman Inc
4747 Good Road
Dephos, Ohio 45833
419-339-1705

I was too busy reading the instructions, and overlooked it. I got held up by the 0, until I read a post that answered the question from the thread. I was pondering why anyone would want to detect with zero depth, then realized that that setting is to increase the depth beyond 3 nches.

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread