• 8d1f_1.jpg
    8d1f_1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 4,118

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
The GoldScanner Pro and the Relic and Coin are the same detector with a sticker on one to help them sell as a relic hunter (and they are good ones too). In very mild soil tune the threshold to the right to a slight hum. In high iron soil use the "all-the-way-to-the-left" setting. (it will "click). Make sure you ground balance it first.

These detectors are the deepest size-for-coil-size vlf detectors I have ever encountered, no matter which brand I have tried, but especially in high iron soils. Some other detectors get a tad more depth in wussie soils, but only because they are using larger coils. My Scanner Relic and Coin gets an extra inch depth with it's 8" coil over my cz-70 with it's 7.5 coil, and my cz-70 gets exactly the same depth with it's 7.5" coil as an Explorer SE or II, a DFX, or any Sovereign of any variety with a 10" coil on any one of them. If you don't get at least 13" on a nickel in air with it - you need to send it to Keith Wills to have it repaired. Mine gets 14" in air and a DFX with it's 9.5 gets 12" just like the above Minelabs. Plan on spanking people at the parks and nugget hunting, but only if it is in good running condition.

And BTW, Compasses go deeper the quicker they are scanned, up to a certain saturation point, of course.

Have fun

EasyMoney

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
I got one coming also! Mine is a Coin Scanner Pro powered by 8 AAs. I believe this is the model that George Payne designed! I should get it by next Tues. I'll get back with a report. Joe

Attachments

• Compass coin scanner Pro 012.jpg
    Compass coin scanner Pro 012.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 8,007

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is now way your sov . will become your back up.... unless you depend on a meter machine ,,.... the gt is a super deep unit in the right hands ..... just my thought . pine out

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
pinebarrens1 said:
there is now way your sov . will become your back up.... unless you depend on a meter machine ,,.... the gt is a super deep unit in the right hands ..... just my thought . pine out

I agree.

The Scanner might be very good though. I've heard it bragged to the heavens.

It's on my list of future trys.

Badger

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
I thought Compass went out of business years ago.Where are you getting these machines?

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
EasyMoney,

Good for you ,tell these young puppies the way it is! I think they give these Minelab buyers a brain washing or something when they buy a machine. The Minelab is a fine detector but it's NOT without it's flaws or weaknesses. I keep saying this over and over: " We all have different needs and what works for US and suits our own particular needs, there is no single detector that's best for everyone."
I'm not worried about the depth on the CS Pro. I learned a long time ago that depth isn't everything. I was a Compass dealer for many years when George and Ron were at Compass, They were good times! We probably have the Minelab people all riled up now Larry, oh well. Joe

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
EasyMoney........I have heard so much about Compass over the years and have read all you have to say about them. And Gary here on tnet has a compass forum i go in to.....www.compass-metal-detector-forum.....and read a lot of information on there. So instead of going with the run of the mill detectors i thought i would try some thing different. I have not got it yet it was sent out to me yesterday Fri.the 22 but from all i hear i will make it my main detector. And then post what i found out under the Compass forum darn we don't have a Compass forum. .....Easy i am haveing the depth mod put in mine by Keith..I hear he doe's a good job and he is the best out there.............................==Jim==

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Well, I remember one time when someone was using an Explorer in another State and I pulled out my R&C because he was having trouble telling what was in the ground. I GB'd the Compass, put it on fast retune, took a couple of passes one way, then the other, and then looked at him and said; "it's either a shotgun shell or a brass cartridge". He looked at me real funny and said; "this here metal detector says it could be a piece of steel and it could also be a piece of aluminum, and THIS thing is the best on the market, there ain't nuthin' deeper".

It was a shotgun shell at only 5-6 inches. That sure made me want to go right out and buy one of them there Explorer thingy's, fo sho'.

Oh, and getting riled up is just fine with me, at least I got a chance to re-teach the brain-washed or teach the untaught. Mai plaisir, mon ami.

'Nuff said.

EasyMoney

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
EasyMoney said:
Well, I remember one time when someone was using an Explorer in another State and I pulled out my R&C because he was having trouble telling what was in the ground. I GB'd the Compass, put it on fast retune, took a couple of passes one way, then the other, and then looked at him and said; "it's either a shotgun shell or a brass cartridge". He looked at me real funny and said; "this here metal detector says it could be a piece of steel and it could also be a piece of aluminum, and THIS thing is the best on the market, there ain't nuthin' deeper".

It was a shotgun shell at only 5-6 inches. That sure made me want to go right out and buy one of them there Explorer thingy's, fo sho'.

Oh, and getting riled up is just fine with me, at least I got a chance to re-teach the brain-washed or teach the untaught. Mai plaisir, mon ami.

'Nuff said.

EasyMoney
EasyMoney....When you say brain washed you hit the nail right on the head.I think the way it looks i might have a Compass to back up my compass......You know i fell into that brain washed group for a couple of years and found out what ever brand of detector i got or model they were just about all the same as you might have noticed i have been selling off my detectors the list of what i have is getting smaller and smaller.................==Jim==

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe...How is that Gold Bug you picked up at the tag sale good shape?.......................==Jim==

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy said:
Joe, You are right about the young puppies not knowing about how good the Compass detectors can be.

Well I sure hope you include me in with the young puppies...ain't been called young in 20 years ;D

But one thing that would be constructive is to have a truthfully objective appraisal of the Compass once you learn it.

Myself I don't even care about pride and who has the best or whatever. I'm looking for solid info that might enhance my enjoyment or at least keep me from wasting money.

Look forward to some facts.

Badger

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
Keppy said:
Joe, You are right about the young puppies not knowing about how good the Compass detectors can be.

Well I sure hope you include me in with the young puppies...ain't been called young in 20 years ;D

But one thing that would be constructive is to have a truthfully objective appraisal of the Compass once you learn it.

Myself I don't even care about pride and who has the best or whatever. I'm looking for solid info that might enhance my enjoyment or at least keep me from wasting money.

Look forward to some facts.

Badger
Badger..We will do the best we can for you. Like i told EasyMoney i have been selling off my detectors.No use haveing a stable of detectors all different makes and brands and they all do the same thing . And i hear that the Compass excells at discriminating out iron.........==Jim==

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
barber said:
I tried that Compass site, but couldn;t get anything........?????
Just put in with the dashes no www and no com like this ......... compass-metal-detector-forum ...

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Keppy,

I had a little fussing with the batt. contacts on the Gold Bug, it's a 9V drop-in design and they had oxidized a bit. The sensitivity control goes so high that I couldn't bench test above about #7 on the control in the shop without it going crazy. I took it outside an it seemed to work fine, goes very deep! It cleaned up to about a 7.5 out of 10, real nice. It is just under 3#, very light weight. I'll get some photos taken when I get a chance and post them. Keith will do right by you,I personally think he is the top repair person in the USA!
Michigan Badger, hope, your not a young puppy, your one of us! You love to test detectors and evaluate them, good for you!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy said:
Badger..We will do the best we can for you. Like i told EasyMoney i have been selling off my detectors.No use haveing a stable of detectors all different makes and brands and they all do the same thing . And i hear that the Compass excells at discriminating out iron.........==Jim==
[/quote]

Good deal :thumbsup: I really hope it works out to be great.

Thanks,

Badger

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
JOE(USA) said:
Keppy,

I had a little fussing with the batt. contacts on the Gold Bug, it's a 9V drop-in design and they had oxidized a bit. The sensitivity control goes so high that I couldn't bench test above about #7 on the control in the shop without it going crazy. I took it outside an it seemed to work fine, goes very deep! It cleaned up to about a 7.5 out of 10, real nice. It is just under 3#, very light weight. I'll get some photos taken when I get a chance and post them. Keith will do right by you,I personally think he is the top repair person in the USA!
Michigan Badger, hope, your not a young puppy, your one of us! You love to test detectors and evaluate them, good for you!
Joe...Badger i think is right up there with you and me none of us is a young puppy........And there is a lot of times i can not test my detectors inside .But if it test ok out side it should be fine.................Jim

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
EasyMoney said:
The GoldScanner Pro and the Relic and Coin are the same detector with a sticker on one to help them sell as a relic hunter (and they are good ones too). In very mild soil tune the threshold to the right to a slight hum. In high iron soil use the "all-the-way-to-the-left" setting. (it will "click). Make sure you ground balance it first.

These detectors are the deepest size-for-coil-size vlf detectors I have ever encountered, no matter which brand I have tried, but especially in high iron soils. Some other detectors get a tad more depth in wussie soils, but only because they are using larger coils. My Scanner Relic and Coin gets an extra inch depth with it's 8" coil over my cz-70 with it's 7.5 coil, and my cz-70 gets exactly the same depth with it's 7.5" coil as an Explorer SE or II, a DFX, or any Sovereign of any variety with a 10" coil on any one of them. If you don't get at least 13" on a nickel in air with it - you need to send it to Keith Wills to have it repaired. Mine gets 14" in air and a DFX with it's 9.5 gets 12" just like the above Minelabs. Plan on spanking people at the parks and nugget hunting, but only if it is in good running condition.

And BTW, Compasses go deeper the quicker they are scanned, up to a certain saturation point, of course.

Have fun

EasyMoney
Easy....This one i got is said to be new never used but still a old detector it has with it the original owners manual and the new compass carry case that came with it and the original box. But i will probably will not get it untill the end of next week...he shipped it out yesterday................==Jim==...................keppy

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Well folks, as I've always said, there is seldom more than 2" difference between a $200 detector and a $1200 detector save for a few extra toys, and in some cases the cheap and flimsy ones even work better than the ones built like a Sherman tank too. The more power (gain) one has the bigger problem it usually has working in harsher or higher mineralized soil too, often, but of course not always. That Tesoro Tejon was really deep in light ground for example, but sucked in this super-high iron ground here, and so does the Garrett 1250 through 2500 too, as it's also true of the disapointing "depth" of most Minelabs here too.. The same is true for all the Nautiluses in bad soil too. However, the Silver uMax, Vaquero and Golden, and the Compadre do a very nice job in the bad stuff. It all depends on what the detectors were designed for, in other words, what kind of soil they were designed for and to which market they were targeted..

There is good reason that I primarily have settled for using various Compasses and only two Fishers in my soil, and that's because they work the best, the smoothest, and go the deepest without having to spend a lot of of my valuable time messing and guessing with them all the time. One of my neighbors just told me yesterday that a "White's can tell you exactly what is in the ground before you dig it up", "just like the woman says in White's ad". I told him that that was basically BS, but he replied saying; "no, if it's a knife or a key or anything, White's detectors will tell you EXACTLY what it is, even before you dig it up".

Isn't that about as funny as it gets?

And we actually think we are at the top of the food chain.

This detector game is a learning game as Joe, Badger and myself already know. Every time I turn one on I get a new surprize, and after all these years we all know that there isn't one made regardless of how much it cost or how much talk there is about it - that will guarantee our success with it. There is no formula, only a fair grasp of it's capabilities, and those are usually only a little different than the capabilities of another one completely different than itself. For me though the Fisher cz3d, the cz-5 and cz-70 are the cream of the crop, and so are all the old Compasses. A well-known detector engineer (name withheld) took a cz3d and whipped everybody's rear-ends in all-out depth in a big field with a cz3d and it's 10.5 coil. He tested it against several Minelabs, a DFX White's and a Garrett 2500 all in medium soil all having the equivalent sized and same type coils. Who would have ever thought so?

Oh, and that new White's PI TDI is one MEAN detector! And I mean vile like a rabid pitbull. I got the feeling of holding an Oozie in my hot hands when I tried one out. It goes deeper than an F-75, any Minelab PI, the Infinium, and even has fairly decent discrimination too, better than any Minelab or any other White's or Garrett PI, by far.. And Erik Foster designed it.

Time for a good cup of Hawaiian and maybe a cookie or two.

EasyMoney

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread