pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Mark, and thanks..... I have already done so, and have got a list with all the telephone numbers of all the guys ;D

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Africa,

Will reply to your email....

God bless
Peter

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Hi Peter.I'm glad to see you back on here or I've just missed your posting.Always enjoyed your inputs.I certainly hope your health is up and running just fine.God Bless,Ron

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the great message and compliment ::) I have been on often but not much in the replying as I have been having a bit of a break..... I am still very much in love with the hobby, but am battling with strange weather and long grass, so have not done much..... also doing up the house at this time, which is a hateful job at the best of times.....

But keep eyes open I am around..... and I will still answer any mail....

God bless
Peter

Heinrich

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2009
I would like to get a metal detector but I know absolutely nothing about them... any advice on where I can buy one, what to look for and price range? I live in Pretoria. Thanks

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Heinrich, nice to hear from you, and welcome to the forum.

Metal detecting is great fun to do, as well as a good exercise and a way to get out for a while. I started out because of heart problems, so was benificial to me.
As far as a detector is concerned, I was given mine to me by a friend as a blessing. But I have seen one going for about R600 at I think Glomail, which is not the best one, but good for starters to see if you wish to get more involved...... Other than that, others have used the internet to buy theirs from overseas, like the USA.
For a good detector though, you are looking at anything from around R4500.00 and upwards depending on what you want to get. The other option would be to get a secound hand detector for probably a lot less in the junk mail. Stay clear of the BFO type detectors as they are too limited as far as depth is concerned, and also do not have discrimination...... without discrimination, you have to dig every signal......

Hope that helps you a bit...... if you do need more info give me a shout on this forum / Topic or send me a PM message...... I am in Westonaria, Gauteng.

God bless
Peter

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Otherwise you can contact Wolfgang in Cape Town, he is the agent for Minelab, his prices are excellent and so are his machines, my first machine I bought from Astro Automation in JHB did not know of Wolfgang at the time and a few months back, I have bought another Minelab from him as well, I am running both machines, the new one is a VFLEX this is a digital machine, the older machine is a Sovereign GT but it is still one of the anologue machines, you must remember that cheap is not always cheap, and depending where you want to use the machine will determine which machine is best for you, remembering that discrimination can be helpful, but do you really want to miss that special item that you left lying in the ground, I dig everything, but I also find things, now depending where you are searching for example the beach, yes you will find lots of trash there, but I am in fact sick and tired of hunting on the beach, I find it more rewarding when I search old farm houses and battlefields. Even a ploughed up farm field can give you some rewards as well, never mind even along the roadside.

Well if you want to contact Wolfgang, here is his number 083 500 3723 or you can give me a ring on my cell 082 499 1924.

cheers

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Africa for helping out Heinrich with these details. That is what I like about this forum, helping each other.

God bless
Peter

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Contact Wolfgang his number is 0835 00 3723 he is the agent for Minelab and is a cool guy as well, he also seaches a lot on the beaches and is the guy and friend to contact, his prices are excellent as well and he will be able to give you lots of advice as well, there are a few guys in Durban that I know as well you can also contact me at 082 499 1924 or by email at [email protected]

Nice to see somebosy else who has the same interest as we do.

Regards
simon

p/s found these items two weeks ago while out hunting, cool hey.

Attachments

• SANY0128.JPG
    SANY0128.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 281
  • SANY0133.JPG
    SANY0133.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 304
  • SANY0138.JPG
    SANY0138.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 319

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Hey Peter

Have you been out hunting of late, or are you still busy sorting your house out each weekend, post some pic's of the stuff that you have found, want to see again.

Cheers
simon

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Hi Africa

Thanks for replying so fast. I did send you en email with some more info. Interesting finds by the way... War / battle site?

OD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread