Lost Gold Mine of Pitt Lake, B.C.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
An elderly Salish Indian man name Slumach discovered gold at the north end of Pitt Lake and the nuggets were supposedly the size of a man’s fist. Several times he brought gold to New Westminster where he cashed them in for drinks and supplies. Slumach would go back to Pitt Lake when he ran out of gold and return again when he found more.

Slumach’s Curse
Slumach was hanged in 1891 for the murder of Louis Bee. At the time of his execution, he said that the mine dies when he dies. Nobody has found the mine because it is believed Slumach put a curse on it.

An alternate story tells of Slumach drawing a map and giving it to his nephew who used to visit him in jail. The nephew destroyed the map but re-drew it years later. Copies were made of the map but all of the maps were lost in a house fire in 1930. The nephew did try to look for the gold mine and broke his hip when searching for it. The family believes there is a curse.

Jackson Buries Gold in 1901

An American prospector by the name of Jackson found gold and brought some of it back to San Francisco. A friend in Seattle received a letter from Jackson and was told that there were gold nuggets as large as walnuts and the bedrock was filled with gold. Jackson said he couldn’t carry all the gold and buried it at the foot of a tent-shaped rock near the creek. Jackson never went back to Pitt Lake because he died just after writing the letter. Nobody has found the buried gold at the rock that Jackson described.

Read more: http://mysterious-places.suite101.com/article.cfm/lost_gold_mine_of_pitt_lake#ixzz0ErtoJlP5&B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread