Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hitler's Treasure Lake in AUSTRIA

the lead aboveis a Typo

should be Austria

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/stories/2001_04_15/story_320.asp

Hunt for Nazi Lake Treasure Begins - Divers from the company Oceaneering are exploring the bottom of Lake Toplitz near Salzburg, Austria, looking for Nazi war treasure that legend says was dumped to the bottom of the lake during the closing days of WWII. The divers hope to find a horde of top secret Nazi records of great historical value. Stories have also been circulated that a large quantify of gold was also sent to the bottom of the 338 foot deep lake. It is hoped that the cold water and high salt content of the lake may have preserved any documents there. The lake will be initially surveyed with sonar and remote video cameras. Any recovery will be done by a mini-submarine.

In 1959 a diving team discovered 700 million pounds of forged British banknotes in the lake which were part of Hitler's scheme to ruin the British economy during the war.

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At a first glance, this sounds very interesting.
But I wonder why the Nazis preferred to throw their stolen treasure in a lake, than to hide it somewhere safe. There is a difference between throw and hide. And the Nazis were not ''naive'' to throw a treasure in such a deep lake.

It is well known that, not far from the lake Toplitz, is the old salt mine of Merker. There, in 1945, the 90th Division, U.S. Third Army, discovered Reichsbank wealth, SS loot, and paintings from Berlin.
The gold only was valued at an excess of $238,000,000.
The millions of pieces of art artwork found was priceless, but the most interesting piece discovered in the mine was a 3,000 year old statuette of Nefertiti, the Egyptian queen, the most valuable work of art in all of Germany.

Prior to this, U.S. Third Army, discovered another $3.000.000 worth of treasure, in old salt mines in the near by area of southern Germany and Austria.
Further all to this, I do not think that there could be anything else still hidden.
Details may be found on the following pages,

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/history/i-m/lastdays3.html

http://hiddenmysteries.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16473

Regards, Digman.

Attachments

• MerkersMineAustria.JPG
    MerkersMineAustria.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,406

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

The Austrian government has given a US team permission to make an underwater expedition to the log-infested bottom of the lake.

They point out that the bottom of the lake is encrusted with a thick carpet of logs.

The ironic thing is that even if there is no Nazi treasure, all those old logs preserved in that deep cold water might be a treasure of their own, much like the old growth Maples and other hardwoods raised from the Great Lakes in North America.

Jay

El Dorado Seeker

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they just dumped them in the lake, I suppose some curious Austrian with enough men and machinery would have already dived down after the treasure.

Some of the worst places to hide treasures is under a body of water... It's harder for treasure hunters, but it's a rather "naive idea" from those hiding them.

I also think they might have claimed they hide it one place and have actually hid it elsewhere. It's a nice trick. They dump "something" and they spread the word about "hiding treasures", while actually it's a diversion covering the tracks to the real location.

When we're talking about political regimes, we have to know that they had plenty of tricks for the sake of diversion.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=&quot]From Wikipedia:

There is a layer of sunken logs floating half way to the bottom of the lake, making diving beyond it hazardous or impossible. Gerhard Zauner, one of the divers on the 1959 expedition, reports that he saw a sunken aircraft below this layer.[/FONT][SUP][1][/SUP]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread