Rockkman

Mar 21, 2019
Costa Rica
Detector(s) used
Garret ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my fellow gold hunters :hello:

My name is Rob and I have been living here in Costa Rica for over 10 years now. Been back and forth over the years prospecting, but recently I have decided to get serious with finding gold to at least pay the bills. I have a Garret ATX machine and have done some metal detecting here mostly in the rivers, but the machine has poor discrimination and the rivers have a lot of junk in them. A lot of digging for nothing if you have any experience with detecting. The jungle and terrain also make detecting a challenge.

With that said, I do know where to look for the big nuggets like 7 killo size and know my way around C.R fairly well. I also speak fairly decent Spanish at this point and that helps. I figured there was nothing to loose making this post and see what happens?

I feel that with the correct metal detector, something with a 3D display, probably German made that can scan several meters deep, someone could do very, well here and avoid a lot of digging for not. Unfortunately I do not have the money at this point to buy this type machine after all that I have learned here.

If you have the fever, are a gambler, have the money, lets say around 6k to invest in a proper machine and are into an adventure, perhaps we can team up and go out hunting together? I do know where to look and how to get around C.R. If your interested in talking about this concept, please contact me by email, [email protected].

Pura Vida, Rob

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hi Rob, it sounds as if you would like to detect for gold which can be done - but . . . .
as a classic stanza from the Music Man says "but ya gotta know the territory".

In my 40 years here I have found that personal friends provide the contacts, of course you have to have ex-miners as friends and be able to contribute to the conversation. I have met very few miners below 50, 70 is a typical age of those who went through the last cycle and the reason is apparent: No way to legally mine in CR, one can prospect their own land but nothing is open. And if you find a nugget (not at all difficult), beware of customs as you leave CR -> they seize raw gold. period, along with sea shells, rocks, wood, etc.

The nice thing about CR is that there is gold just about anywhere, all placer to my knowledge. I am on the Osa (Drake) and there is gold anywhere, one tests with a pan and 3-5 specks will justify setting up a sluce but fine gold is work indeed. Isla Violin has coarse gold, little water, and the property is owned. Understand that all creeks have been prospected and worked, lots of bedrock with stacked rocks on the sides and too often filled with soft dirt from the ongoing landslides (12' rain/yr); and always tramp iron from those before.

I have a GPX4000 but more often use it to select where to dig, my detector knowledge (??) is dated but it is difficult to earn one's investment back (try a cesium mag for a challenge). I dig every target but do get tired of iron and will often simply quit at a foot into packed rocks.

Rob, where are you in CR?

Bill

OP
OP
weregolf

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting