Searching the beaches of Rio

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
From all I hear about Rio, your greatest concern chould be the street kids and cowboys = bandits. They walk up to you and rob you then and there. Could be the same on the beach where your M/D will change hands. Be careful.

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector
just got back from Fortaleza brasil..2nd largest city there...3rd time down there....i believe that where there are rich tourists..there is lost jewelry...never saw anyone detecting there...and thought about how it would be to detect the beaches....he is right...you would have an entourage of about 20 people follow you around..especially young people...homeless and poor...and this is a good thing...give them a reale or two apiece and you would have the perfect body guards for the rest of the day...they would love ya...
Fortunate

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
Go early in the morning, when no one is around.
In my experience on Venezuelan beaches, if you go later during the day I did find myself being followed by bunches of people.

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
My ship made a port visit in Rio on our way around South America for our homeport change from Norfolk, VA to Yokosuka, Japan. I hung out quite a bit on Ipanema and Copacabana beaches and honestly, I don't think I would have the balls to detect there. There are a lot of people there who will rob you and the little kids, despite what somebody said previously, don't give them anything. Soon as you do, they tell their friends and now they are ALL following you begging for everything. They are never satisfied and don't believe they will be your bodyguards. We had little kids walking up to our sailors while they were at ATM's and push a razorblade into their back and rob them...I'm talking about 8 year olds here. Gangs of them!

That said, if you and a few friends stuck together there is less chance of that happening. On Copacabana beach is where the world famous Copacobana Palace is. It's a hotel where all the famous people stay when they visit. I went inside and toured it and seriously, I didn't want to touch anything. Even the paint on the walls cost more than my life. LOL. I could see how there would be a lot of good stuff to find as long as you go with a group and are always watching your back.

BFett

Greenie
Jan 13, 2006
Seoul
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Tesoro Lobo
Heh.... Wow... I never thought about being robbed while detecting.. thanks for the advice..

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The time you MD may be the answer......early morning.........stay in areas with people and nice hotels likely have security

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread