Melting gold

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the general idea, but do a lot of research first on how to do it; especially temperature control. There's not a whole lot of room to work between the temp that gold melts and the temp that gold vaporizes. A thick layer of flux on top of the gold, sealing it off from the atmosphere helps to hold down the loss from vaporization. Again, research it fully and, if possible, get with someone who's done it before.

Any impurities left in the button can be cleaned out with nitric acid.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
b.fralick said:
I want to melt down some fines I've been saving. The general concensus along the river where I dredge is the gold is between 16-18k. If I melt the gold with a flux will the impurities come out and give me a button of 23-24k?

As has been stated. Yep. Thereabouts. And to keep things in check, check out this "potato method" for melting gold:
http://prospecting.50webs.com/meltingsmelting1.html

There is some other interesting stuff on their website, so browse away.

F.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent posts Gentlemen: I made my own cupels out of cow bones, sometimes mixed with 5 - 10 % cement, but bone alone is preferred for it's selective porosity / Pb absorption.

What is being posted is a form of Scorification. In the case of the potato, it is being converted to carbon which why it works as a form of cupel.

One futher point do not wear any synthetic cloth if you are smelting more than a tiny bit. The heat of a normal smelt will promply melt a synthetic and believe me, it sticks to you exactly the same was hot glue does, and burns nicely. I have a nice scar on my tummy to show how I learned this.

AS has been posted, NO WATER anywhere near your work, and everything has to be moisture free. The explosive reaction of water scatters your Gold everywhere including upon your pore suffering skin.

Believe me, it hurts like hell both financially and physically.

Don Jose de La Mancha

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference between the melting point of gold, and the vaporization of gold is 1,537 degrees celsius. From 1063 degrees celsius to 2600 degrees celsius is quite a spread of temperature.

I have only done it with a retort and mercury (recapturing all the mercury).

B

C

Cappy Z.

mrs.oroblanco said:
The difference between the melting point of gold, and the vaporization of gold is 1,537 degrees celsius. From 1063 degrees celsius to 2600 degrees celsius is quite a spread of temperature.

I have only done it with a retort and mercury (recapturing all the mercury).

B

lol
Not knowing your age...it sounds like you're some kind of NASA scientist.....lol

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Definitely not a NASA scientist ;D

Just have always been interested in that sort of thing. We studied (very hard) on exactly how to do it - and bought a retort, of course, and some mercury. The first thing we did was one of my father's "books of gold leaf", that I have talked about. (that was actually the motivation). Back then, you could buy mercury at the pharmacy. If you get it right, you can use that same mercury many, many times. (we ended up running all of my dad's 'leaves' with the retort.

B

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i melt gold i usually take jewelers grade borax mixed in moonshine(or pure alcohol)and pour on gold .take torch and burn it off -then heat up gold adding a little extra borax on top to shield the gold.bring the temp. up when gold turns liquid use a graphite stick to pull off slag/impurities.then cast .note -once liquified back off on heat waving the flame to keep it liquid but not too hot.don't heat up no more than nessessary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread