Panning in NW Wisconsin

dogbeak

Aug 12, 2005
west central WI
Hello
I have never panned for gold.
Would like to try it sometime.
I have an area nearby that has a very large rock formation that runs for miles and miles in a straight line.
When a stream encounters it it turns and runs along it for a while then will jump a gap and continue on it's way.
My question is, could this be considered bedrock?
The rocks can be followed through the woods very easeally.
They average about 40 feet wide and stickup 15 feet above grade.
I also encountered some as big as a small house.
Thank you for listening.
I'm not trying to profit from this but would like to find just a little bit, just to say I did it.
Bill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dogbeak

Aug 12, 2005
west central WI

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Hey,
Im trying an area in Northwestern MI and what I have found out is you need to do the reseach on the ground. Your area sounds nice and if there is alot of glacier wash in the area try crevicing those rocks espescially if there is alot of evidence of flood over the last few hundred years. Pickers are going to be about the biggest you will find in that area and they are few and far between but there is alot of fines to be found. Join the GPAA and you can get the glacial deposit map and some free videas that will help you a bit mroe in that area. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

dogbeak

Aug 12, 2005
west central WI
surfin,
Are you looking in the UP?
Can you tell me about glacier wash?
My area has long (miles) of large rocks that travel in a very straight line that I have used years ago while deer hunting.
Great landmarks.
Hope you have good luck in your hunts.
I only would like to find just a little gold just to say I have done it.
I will look into the GPAA, as I will need a pan anyway.
Thanks to all of you for your resposes.
Bill

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Bill,
Im still learning myself. Im looking to start working these glacial deposits here because I live where I will never find the bedrock.

Get some picks up close and far away and post em. You will get a bunch of feedback from that.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for Wisconsin.....i've personally contacted multiple sources including the DNR, i know of 2 old gold "mines" in Wisconsin One of which was never mined because of the risk of contaminating lake superior.

goophy

Oct 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
I have never panned for gold.
Would like to try it sometime.
I have an area nearby that has a very large rock formation that runs for miles and miles in a straight line.
When a stream encounters it it turns and runs along it for a while then will jump a gap and continue on it's way.
My question is, could this be considered bedrock?
The rocks can be followed through the woods very easeally.
They average about 40 feet wide and stickup 15 feet above grade.
I also encountered some as big as a small house.
Thank you for listening.
I'm not trying to profit from this but would like to find just a little bit, just to say I did it.
Bill

Did you ever get to pan your spot your talkin about? I live in Marshfield WI, and I would go with you if your ever interested, I have a sluice box, 2 gold pans, sniffer bottles, and little glass viles to keep your gold in. I belong to the Tomah chapter gold prospecting club and could show you the ropes if you like. I notice this thread is a fewyears old but figured i would give it a try.

BadgerGold

Mar 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in Menomonee falls by Milwaukee, gonna be trying up near eau Claire wi in a few weeks. Glad to see some fellow Wisconsinites on here! Just joined gpaa myself gonna go to the meeting in greenbush in a week.

tobaticbuck

May 18, 2015
Hayward, wisc.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All bedrock in northern wisconsin is so deep under ground do to from glacial deposit, several hundred feet down to bedrock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions