Uwharrie National Forest for gold

Gohot229

Greenie
Mar 13, 2010
North Carolina
I'm about 35 miles south of there, heres 4 hours in my creek on the property, but, yea ....Uwharrie is supposed to be prime real estate for nugets and dust, it's right in the belt

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 14,941

grc59eca

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2010
I love uwharrie River, found some nice gold there. Access is getting weird though. Seems low water bridge area is now leased and they dont want us (miners) there even with hand methods. Was there a few weeks ago sluicing and some guy from the hunt club said I had to get an entry permit. I told him I thought the river itself was state property. He told me I was wrong.

Jerry

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but I went there in Ranger School and I didn't like it very much. HAHAHA

Best-Mike

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grc59eca said:
I love uwharrie River, found some nice gold there. Access is getting weird though. Seems low water bridge area is now leased and they dont want us (miners) there even with hand methods. Was there a few weeks ago sluicing and some guy from the hunt club said I had to get an entry permit. I told him I thought the river itself was state property. He told me I was wrong.

Jerry
You can't own a river. Even here in NC, where you don't have the gracious laws of SC regarding every navigable waterway as public property, all navigable waterways are still public access. What you run into, is the jurisdiction of the property on either side. If you are in a National Forest, it doesn't matter if it's been leased out for logging or whatnot; the law still applies.

I would be interested to know where this happened, and if it was in the national forest itself, I'd like to go out there and see who approached me. I'd be curious to see which prevailed; his "entry permit" or the state seal in my badge. If I were you, I would have challenged him to call the local sheriff.

Now, if you were on private land, it's a different story. You can navigate ONLY; nothing else.

grc59eca

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2010
Here is a map of the area. The land on both sides of the river access is leased to a private hunt club by a landtrust company that supposedly bought it for public recreational use. I didnt think you could have private leased land for hunting inside the national forest. The area is populated on route 109 and surrounding state roads. Here is the website for the landtrust, the land in discussion is the bingham lands. Their website used to promote it for fishing, boating, and prospecting. http://www.landtrustcnc.org/

Attachments

• uwharrieriver with low water2.gif
    uwharrieriver with low water2.gif
    65.5 KB · Views: 22,354

sniperguy

Apr 14, 2011
Anyone looking for more than flood gold in the uwharries should work the areas around the old mines. They are many mines in the forest both lode and placer still producing gold today. I have lived in the area all of my life and used to play around the old sally coggins mine as a kid which is around 1/10th of a mile s/w from the eldorado outpost. This mine is on private property and was a lode mine which also involved hydrolicking.
I have been prospecting the uwharries sense 1997 and have found quite abit of gold over the years. I also manufacture the uwharrie gold maps, stanly county gold and the sniper hand dredge in uwharrie. There is alot of easy diggings if youre looking for flood gold, it accumilates in alot of the inside bends and exposed bedrock. Most flood gold in the area is less than 6 inches deep and can be classified and run through a sluice box in a short time which is the quickest way to extract this type of fine gold. As far as prospecting at the low water bridge area, both sides of the bridge have a right of way and as long as your in the river and not on the bank your fine and can challenge anyones disagreement. Although there is gold at and around the bridge your best bet is to move up or down stream from the bridge 100 yards and is best for dredging. Also alot of prospectors are missing some of the best prospecting you can find on a weekend at and around the 109 bridge between eldorado and uwharrie. There is a couple hundred yards of really good material down stream from the bridge and is perfect for dredging and highbanking. Up stream the water level is alitte deeper and there is not as much river to work as the UNF land is closer. I have never had any problems with land owners although you should pay attention to the UNF boundary signs as this could pose a treat from the rangers if passed without notice.

Attachments

• ebayknives 001.JPG
    ebayknives 001.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 3,186

flash11569

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to gold panning and would love to get up to Uwharrie. I live around raleigh and it would make an awesome day trip. someone with more knowledge please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks, Jon.

May 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my take of Uwharrie National forest gold... This is four days of diggin
The bottle of black sand has a lot of smalls that I will separate soon..I am building a miller table soon!!
The little nugget weighs 0.874 gram
DSCN4610.JPG DSCN4606.JPG

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone thinks they need a miller table to get anything out of black sand except nuggets. I could pan those cons for you and there would be nothing else to run on a table. To be a miner everything begins and ends with a pan! Learn to use that puppy!!!!

ekev22

May 2, 2015
Unharrie is located outside of Charlotte NC right? I have a quick question for those who live nearby or have visited there… what do you think of the area? My wife and I are thinking about moving out of Georgia and Charlotte is one of the areas were considering. Any advice for someone considering this area to move to?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone thinks they need a miller table to get anything out of black sand except nuggets. I could pan those cons for you and there would be nothing else to run on a table. To be a miner everything begins and ends with a pan! Learn to use that puppy!!!!
I agree.... I pan out my beach cons after super concentrating them... only takes a few minutes and I have very little black sand left at the finish.
1. Super concentrate your sluice run cons.
2. Use you classifier screens.... Remember the golden rule...." If everything in your pan is the same size.. Gold rules"
3. Don't try to pan too much at one time, break it up with teaspoon size lots.... You will be amazed at how fast you can get the gold out of those smaller amounts and how quickly you will finish your cons by using those smaller increments.
4. pan over a tub..... If you are so paranoid that you are losing gold go back and re-run your tub.... It won't take many of those exercises to convince you otherwise.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unharrie is located outside of Charlotte NC right? I have a quick question for those who live nearby or have visited there... what do you think of the area? My wife and I are thinking about moving out of Georgia and Charlotte is one of the areas were considering. Any advice for someone considering this area to move to?
I've lived here my whole life. No offense, but the biggest problem we have currently is EVERYONE seems to be moving here. Traffic out the bazoo and farm land being turned into housing developments. It's a crying shame. You can come if you want to, but I don't see where everyone is going to work!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've lived here my whole life. No offense, but the biggest problem we have currently is EVERYONE seems to be moving here. Traffic out the bazoo and farm land being turned into housing developments. It's a crying shame. You can come if you want to, but I don't see where everyone is going to work!

I know what you are saying...... We are being inundated by californicators moving up here.

May 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes... I can pan out the cons, but, I also like to try new things too.
I have always wanted to build a miller table.. I like DIY projects.
Most of the stuff I use for prospecting I have built myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions