GPAA worth it in CO?

angermd

Greenie
Mar 11, 2010
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,
I was thinking about joining the GPAA. I've been reading some of the posts about others who really like being a member. But, before I join, I would like to know if anyone knows if there are good claims in CO, specifically in clear creek county, gilpin county, denver county, or the surrounding areas. I like to get out on the weekends but can't go too far from Denver. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
angermd said:
Hello all,
I was thinking about joining the GPAA. I've been reading some of the posts about others who really like being a member. But, before I join, I would like to know if anyone knows if there are good claims in CO, specifically in clear creek county, gilpin county, denver county, or the surrounding areas. I like to get out on the weekends but can't go too far from Denver. Thanks in advance!

Most of the GPAA claims are west. None I am aware of on the front range. There are several claims over on the Ark, north of Buena Vista, a couple down around durango.. Around the Front Range, I'd consider joining up with Dan at the CO Prospectors. Dan and that group have several claims, also you have to watch where you go do your research but you can find open areas to at least get a pan wet..

I understand there to be an open area between Ward and Jamestown, Several areas around ID Springs, But again don't claim jump.. Make sure it's open or get to know the claim holder and get permission.

Checkout coloradoprospectors.com website. They have a membership form on their site, can do a one claim or full acces to all for a season. http://coloradoprospector.com/membership.html

Tell Dan hi, if you talk with him..

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
for Colorado i totally agree with Rex on joining the colorado prospectors club. they are really good people that will help you if you need it! if i lived closer, i would belong to their club.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Local yokels clubs rock the mining world. I've belonged to dozens throughout the years and there is absolutely NO better way to go!! :notworthy: John

Dragon24

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, If I may ask also, does anyone know if joining the GPAA in Idaho is good? Is there good gold still to be found around the Boise, Idaho City, etc..areas? I'm new to prospecting, and I'm attending a Gold Treasure show in Boise this weekend, and the GPAA will be there offering memberships, and I would really love to learn the ropes, and meet good, simple, friendly people. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
id say if you lived in Idaho, then yes!BUT you need to check the current legal issues that are getting stired up in Idaho pertaining to prospecting/dredgeing. the California sickness is spreading!

Magic Fingers

I hope you enjoyed the Gold Show that the GPAA put on this weekend in Boise! I went to the one in Spokane last week and really enjoyed it. I joined the GPAA last year and plan on doing some prospecting this summer since I moved to Idaho.
Hello all, If I may ask also, does anyone know if joining the GPAA in Idaho is good? Is there good gold still to be found around the Boise, Idaho City, etc..areas? I'm new to prospecting, and I'm attending a Gold Treasure show in Boise this weekend, and the GPAA will be there offering memberships, and I would really love to learn the ropes, and meet good, simple, friendly people. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you enjoyed the Gold Show that the GPAA put on this weekend in Boise! I went to the one in Spokane last week and really enjoyed it. I joined the GPAA last year and plan on doing some prospecting this summer since I moved to Idaho.

Gee, wife and I were there too. A friend and his wife, who were a local vendor there, spend their summers working a claim somewhere around Eagle

Dragon24

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool....if you were there for the Sunday prize drawing...then you saw ME win the trip to Alaska!! We bought from a few of the local vendors.

Awww, I want to go to Alaska also!! lol. But congrats! I'm sure you will have alot of fun! I was there on saturday and spent about 4 hours there. With me being so green, I learned alot about the prospecting business...or hobby, whatever you wanna call it. I am going to be picking up a gold cube soon, I loved what I saw at the show regarding it, and the reviews I read online have been fantastic!! If anyone around the idaho/boise area is going to be heading out into the field, I would love to tag along and see how its done "for real"

Have a great day everyone, its clear blue sky, and supposed to be 81f today!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have used a gold cube, they are great fun and really catch the fine gold, enjoy!

Also, like Russ said, Colorado Gold Camp is a very active and helpful forum, I am there a lot too. I've also been out on the river with several of the cgc regulars and had a great time with them...we meet on the rivers in metro Denver a lot. If you want a club to join, they do have some claims in the mtns west of Denver that apparently produce well (I have yet to join myself but will when my own honey hole plays out I think).

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure, I have posted quite a few on the cgc forum. Just look for posts from KevinInCO or KevinInCentennial...I forget which I'd I used there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread