I need a quick geology lesson...

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
I pick stuff up in passing when I read and occasionally I commit something to memory that is either incomplete or outright wrong. Some where along the line I have come to the conclusion that from a geological stand point a dendritic drainage is a good place to start a search for gold.

I have recently located an area using google earth in Idaho that has a good looking dendritic drainage. Using geoCommunicator I have found there were lode mining claims in the upper reaches of the drainage (they are now closed) There are no current or closed placer claims in the area. Am I crazy to think that if there was a lode claim in the upper areas that through the course of time dust/flakes/nuggets would now be lurking in the lower areas of the drainage?

Sadly I am a real newcomer to the prospecting hobby. I am much better at tracking down info than I am at running a gold pan. I think I am gonna pack the family up in the morning and at least go check the area out for myself, if nothing else we'll have a nice family day in the forest

-Lance

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dendritic drainage aside, if there has been gold taken from the watershed... high or low... chances are you are good to go. The main theme is go where it's been found before. You and I can rely on the "oldtimers" to have done the hardest part... finding the pay streaks. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread