Gold in West virginia?

rob3273

Greenie
Apr 25, 2010
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign xs 2a pro
Just thought I would post this for someone who knows. I just got into panning and knew a place a few minutes from my house on the Ohio river where I had seen some black sand on the bank before. I went and shoveled a bucket from the beach with black sand and a bucket from a bank wash out that had river gravel and some quartz(maybe) looking stuff in it. I got home and started panning and nothing at all in the beach sand but the gravel sand was a different story. I couldn't believe it, it was a very little amount out of a 5 gallon bucket but it is gold. Everything i've read about WV says there are no known gold found in WV and that the glacier deposits went around WV. Is there anyone here from WV that has found gold also? and if I found these little tiny pieces does that mean in all probability I won't find any pickers or is it worth trying to pan some more? It's so funny, everyone around here thinks i'm crazy, I can sit out there all day and pan till my hearts contenet LOL and not think anything about it.

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very likely that the gold you have found is glacial gold since the Ohio River runs along the border of Ohio and West Virgina and also down from Pennsylvania, there are glacial deposits in both Ohio and Pennsylvania and most of the tributaries in these glacial deposits would be draining into the Ohio River bringing some gold along to the river and some fine gold would very likely be migrating downstream.

Skip

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if you have found a secert gold spot -- SHUT UP ALREADY !!! blabbing about just makes for "competitors" :wink: to horn in on your action -- keep very quiet about it --tell no one of your "find"-- milk that baby for all shes worth . --these are words for the wise to live by as far as "gold panning" goes.-- it is possible that you found some old time gold deposited long ago --if so get it while the getting is good --let them laugh now --you will laugh later when you cash in on it. --all the way to the bank --PS you got "nothing" TO PROVE TO ANYONE --OTHER THAN THE GOLD ASSAYER

OP
OP
R

rob3273

Greenie
Apr 25, 2010
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
I gotcha, i'm not saying a word to anyone but thought it was pretty cool to find some here. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to keep on panning, thought about making a sluice.

Okiedigger

Greenie
Dec 6, 2007
If you want to keep it a secret I wouldn't pan on site. Find the gold layer and fill up some 5 gal. buckets to take home and pan on the back porch. If people see you panning at the site they'll get wise, but if they see you filling up buckets with sand they won't think anything of it. That's what I do anyway and never have any problems or curious people. Find out how fine your gold is and classify it at the river before you bring it home. If anyone does ask, you just tell them it's for your kid's sandbox. :wink: You'll have enough in one 5 gal. bucket to pan for quite a while. Have fun!

OP
OP
R

rob3273

Greenie
Apr 25, 2010
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
That's exactly what i've been doing is filling up five gallon buckets and taking it to the house. In and out in a half hour LOL.

james wv

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
Saint Albans WV
rob3273 said:
Just thought I would post this for someone who knows. I just got into panning and knew a place a few minutes from my house on the Ohio river where I had seen some black sand on the bank before. I went and shoveled a bucket from the beach with black sand and a bucket from a bank wash out that had river gravel and some quartz(maybe) looking stuff in it. I got home and started panning and nothing at all in the beach sand but the gravel sand was a different story. I couldn't believe it, it was a very little amount out of a 5 gallon bucket but it is gold. Everything i've read about WV says there are no known gold found in WV and that the glacier deposits went around WV. Is there anyone here from WV that has found gold also? and if I found these little tiny pieces does that mean in all probability I won't find any pickers or is it worth trying to pan some more? It's so funny, everyone around here thinks i'm crazy, I can sit out there all day and pan till my hearts contenet LOL and not think anything about it.

Hi there
I'm from Saint Albans,WV..I've found a few small colors in So.Charleston,like fly poops cut up.But gold none the less.....I've heard the Elk River carries small amounts of gold.Behind my house there is a cliff face of sandstone about 30 feet tall and you can see layers of round river washed quartz in layers about a foot thick.....Never know till I crush some of it though...
BTW, I've got a 48" 12volt power sluice if u want a hand...LMK

ginnysdaddy

Aug 10, 2007
Jeannette, PA (Westmoreland Co.)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MarvinWV

Jun 16, 2011
I find this interesting and have been wanting to get into finding anything i can and to do so with my boys. I have been searching for anything within a short drive of where I live but I dont want to work where someone else is working. I am in Huntington so I have a 3 state option but would really like to find something near home. Any ideas of any place in the tri-state area to find anything of interest?

G

gentleman joe

Yes there is some Gold in West Virginia. I just started A chapter of the GPAA in Nitro WV. We meet the 2nd sat. at 2pm. The location is at BrandyWine Flea Market in Nitro,WV.We also treasure hunt ,gem,and metal detect .E-mail at [email protected] Thanks Gentleman Joe

freetek

Dec 22, 2011
Grantsville, WV
Detector(s) used
2X Fisher Gold Bugs, 1x Garrett Deep Seeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While a member of the Southwest Prospectors & Miners Assoc. in California, we had access to numerous claims in So. Cal and some of them were pretty remote so backpacking tools and other (lunch, of course) in was a pain.
One of the most ungainly things was the sluice and several of the claims had very low water flow available.

After gaining some experience and seeing that gold is naturally 'lazy' because of its density, I put together a sluice (well, several) weighing less than a pound each.
I'll post one photo here but a .zip file with a half-dozen images showing detail can be had on request.

We used these for years and never found gold more than 4-5 ripples down from the funnel so they are safe to use even in higher flow rates.
One caveat; y'all remember 3 pound coffee cans?
Ain't no more-

Steve A.

Attachments

• \'Pooper tube\' sluice.JPG
    \'Pooper tube\' sluice.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 5,235

oldblue383

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I know your post is about 2 years old, but have found any more color? Not asking where, just if you found any more? I love to do this sort of thing, but no one here in my area would even talk to anyone about? Thanks

kennedy101-us

Jan 27, 2013
Grafton W.Va
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, i'm Chad and live in Grafton W.V, i've been in the GPAA for going on 3 years. I've been trying to pan some of my local streams but i'm not sure that i'm lookin in the rite places. I did find 1 little speck on the Ohio River in New Martensville while I was fishing but thats it so far. I heard there is color in the Elk River and Parsons River and thats not to far from me. I'm looking far someone or a few people to get to know and go try my hand at some prospecting,maybe we'd get lucky and find a good place or 2. My girlfriend and I are also planning a trip to either N.C,Georgia or a GPAA claim somewhere when the weather breaks. If anybody is interested in trying to find gold in W.VA and don't mind a little company you can get ahold of me.

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
Hey Chad
BeliveIt Or Not Ive Found Some Color On Rt 7 From Morgantown Wv Going Towards Kingwood Like You Nothing Special That Would Make Me Spend All Day There But Just Maybe

You Might Wanna Tag Along And Look For Some Lost Loot With Me But My Days Off Are Not Any Specific Days Just Random Picks So Hit Me Up And Well Talk a Bit On What Im Doing

Mike

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There's been gold found panning the New River....

shelbym1976

May 26, 2013
You may try looking in the shavers river I have found some fine gold and some gold imbedded in quartz the best bets of finding better gold is along the Ohio in feeder streams that have water falls or the eastern panhandle just remember look for small streams that drain large basins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions