Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: melting gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2010

melting gold

hi all got some fine placer gold anyone know how to melt this down into small flake some one told me you could use a potatoe and a tourch

us
    Gold Dredger 2nd Generation

Dec 2010
    N. Cal - Born & Raised
    64 times
    Prospecting

Re: melting gold

An acetylene torch will do it. Plenty of ventilation don't breath fumes to be safe. If I was to do it I would use a crucible slow and easy as not to blow the fines away.
    I forgot to mention to use some flux.

us
    Jul 2010
    54 times

Watch out with a torch. I blew a bunch of fine gold all over the place with a torch one time. Be sure to keep the flame under whatever you're heating it in. By the way I couldn't find most of my gold either. Live and learn. Anyway, I tell myself now that it wasn't worth as much then. Doug.

ca
    Jan 2011

I did this after breaking open one of those flaky leaf gold type displays that you get from the souvener shop using the crucible method and yup fine gold does blow away. And nope it wasn't as pure as they claimed, there was a high level of copper in the mix. If it doesn't say 100% gold then it isn't. I'm sure the potatoe method works too.

us
    Mar 2010

one more thing can you use the hand held propane tourch some said it works others say it dont get hot enough

us
    Lode Prospector

Dec 2007
    Roseburg, Oregon
    White's-GMT
    1 times

I have melted fine Gold with a propane torch.

I took a black charcoal barbecue bricket and made a hole in it with a pocket knife, the hole resembled the shape of a teaspoon in size and depth.

Place this bricket in the middle of a large paper plate so, if any of your Gold does blow out from the torch the plate will capture most of it.

I used 20 mule team Borax for the flux...
    I placed a little borax in the hole then placed the fine Gold on top of it and placed a little more borax on top of the Gold (not much, just a little to cover the Gold).

Then light the torch and slowly work the flame into the mass from the sides,
    the borax will slowly melt and the Gold will form a ball or a button as it is called.
    Let it cool then dig it out and clean it.

Needle
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tombstone will Read... If Silence is Golden, I've finally Struck the Motherlode!

us
    Jun 2010
    Southern California
    1 times

Needle, Slowly work the flames into the mass from the sides means what in dummie? Cause im going to try this out tomorrow and any other tips would help me out some.

us
    Lode Prospector

Dec 2007
    Roseburg, Oregon
    White's-GMT
    1 times

Slowly work the flame into the mass...
    means the mass of borax and fine Gold in the depression of the bricket.
    Tombstone will Read... If Silence is Golden, I've finally Struck the Motherlode!

us
    Jun 2010
    Southern California
    1 times

cool man i think i gotcha now, i just assumed that was some sort of "special" technique. Thanks

us
    Gold Dredger 2nd Generation

Dec 2010
    N. Cal - Born & Raised
    64 times
    Prospecting

Get some youtube video of it and post it, for others. I have seen lots of mining related video but none of melting small amounts of placer gold.

us
    Jun 2010
    Southern California
    1 times

Gravelhog, Great idea and i'm kicking myself in the a$$ right now for not doing that because that is what i had planned for the same reason you mensioned, but as usuall i got behind and didn't get around to doing it till tonight and kind of rushed things which doesn't make for a good video.

Needle, well it turned out to be a decent idea considering i don't have the good material just sitting around and didn't cost me anything, but if i ever need to melt more gold i will definitley invest in better materials.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-01-07_17-44-34_976 (1280x719).jpg 
Views:	1768 
Size:	643.5 KB 
ID:	487904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-01-07_17-49-05_431 (1280x719).jpg 
Views:	1692 
Size:	633.7 KB 
ID:	487905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-01-07 18.33.10 (1280x960).jpg 
Views:	2249 
Size:	576.2 KB 
ID:	487906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-01-07 18.34.02 (1280x960).jpg 
Views:	1738 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	487907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-01-07 18.34.11 (1280x960).jpg 
Views:	1717 
Size:	382.0 KB 
ID:	487908  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-01-07 18.34.54 (1280x960).jpg 
Views:	1577 
Size:	391.4 KB 
ID:	487909  

us
    Jan 2008
    Villa Rica georgia
    gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
    53 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

you have to work it slowly ,very slowly to keep from blowing your fines all over the place. scrap ,flake ,and nuggets not so much - but fines are a little harder to melt without losing a lot.
    no matter where you go,there you are!

us
    Mar 2010

hey you got to try it befor i did but i see it works

mx
    Oct 2011
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by GoldinSocal
    Gravelhog, Great idea and i'm kicking myself in the a$$ right now for not doing that because that is what i had planned for the same reason you mensioned, but as usuall i got behind and didn't get around to doing it till tonight and kind of rushed things which doesn't make for a good video.

Needle, well it turned out to be a decent idea considering i don't have the good material just sitting around and didn't cost me anything, but if i ever need to melt more gold i will definitley invest in better materials.

great work,

those little balls of gold look neat!

us
    May 2009
    2 times

The video on youtube of the guy using the microwave kiln to melt gold showed him thoroughly mixing flux up with the gold bearing material before heating it. Would mixing borax up with it help while melting with a propane torch as well as putting borax on top of it ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors