• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 847

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran into a guy from Vermont the other day. He said there’s a mini gold rush going on in Southern Vermont right now, after the summer hurricane and flooding. He mentioned a stream I used to pan about 30 years ago. I wish I had time to get out there before it snows.

survival_hippie

Sep 6, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ya im tryin to decide weather i wana go pan out in the cold water before the snow comes or wait for warmer weather.....cept i got gold fever so im leanin towards pannin in the cold haha

scott3165

Mar 7, 2011
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went up to Newfane, VT last weekend and found a few specks. I ran the sluice for the day and collected some dirt to bring back home to run in my blue bowl, haven't gone thru it all yet.

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scott3165 said:
Went up to Newfane, VT last weekend and found a few specks. I ran the sluice for the day and collected some dirt to bring back home to run in my blue bowl, haven't gone thru it all yet.

Great area. I've had luck there, and used to hit some great antique auctions in Newfane, too!

vtgoldprospector

Jun 27, 2012
Eastern Long Island
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, my hands and a pan!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This gold rush you speak of was indeed (and still is) an ace in the hole. Because of specifically Irene I have since moved in on the Vermont turf heavy and have put a great deal of time in since. But this only really made a difference in the areas that have been heavily prospected in the past. There is quite a bit of gold bearing areas that are virgin and have very nice pockets of gold waiting to be cleaned up regardless.

For anyone reading this that might do some prospecting in Vermont please,, Stop going to the same places as everyone else. It's kinda obvious why little color is being found when the same dirt is being panned over and over by who knows how many people! I personally guarantee there are un-prospected areas that have crazy gold.

Gold Map Maker -- Create your own gold map!
IMG_1158.jpg
VTGoldProspector

Last edited:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing I have found that the maps won't tell you is access. I have noticed that some areas that would have good gold are below very steep banks that would be impossible for me to climb down, many that way on the Wild Ammonoosuc in NH. Or they are obviously private land - the house on the river bank is often a clue. The National Forest has lots of streams that should have gold in them, some that are well know are hit very hard.

I would love a map that would show public access, places you could legally pan or sluice and would have parking without having to have a Sherpa to carry your gear while you mount an expedition to get to the river.
I never complain about super easy, but if I look at a sheer 20 foot bank at my age, I tend to say forget it. I have one area that I have found alot of garnets, some really big ones, I am going to go back there and work my way both down the river and up it because I am sure that anything that is easy to get to has been hit hard.

I am mainly looking for public access with parking. Of course I have only been doing this a couple of months so have a lot to learn. So far I have only prospected in NH

photos below are of the same stone one without light and one with a tactical flashlight shining through it

Garnetorgem3.jpg

garnetclear1.jpg

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Public access is becoming more and more of an issue. For that reason, I often prospect where a stream crosses the road. The area owned by the public along most roads is 3 or 4 rods wide, enough to do a little prospecting without trespassing on private land.

vtgoldprospector

Jun 27, 2012
Eastern Long Island
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, my hands and a pan!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Vermont lode gold

Here is an interesting tidbit of info..

Throughout my research most say that Vermont has no real lode gold and its all alluvial. What little was found in the few mines were typically small amounts or was recovered as minor secondary commodities from other types of ore. I found an article the other day that hinted that there may still be veins waiting to be found. :icon_scratch:

See the FEATURE STORY here.

Happy reading!
Gold Map Maker -- The ultimate prospecting tool!

loby

Oct 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vtgoldprospector ,

No its not my site i have search it for getting help...

Loby

cra61

Jul 9, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2+
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett "carrot" Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Becareful of the Kanc as most of the river is in the national forest.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Becareful of the Kanc as most of the river is in the national forest.

What's wrong with that? I pan in the Wild Ammonoosuc and the Swift and Tunnel brook all 3 in the National Forest. The law there is hand tools only and a 36 inch limit on sluice boxes and no digging in the vegitated sides of the creek (which is good sense)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread