Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Oct 2005
    Massachusetts

GOLD HUNTING IN NEW ENGLAND

Here are the maps from my book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maps 1 and 2.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	498763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maps 3 and 4.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	434.3 KB 
ID:	498764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maps 5 and 6.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	498765  
    Peter

us
    Jan 2007
    Boston area
    43 times

Re: GOLD HUNTING IN NEW ENGLAND

Here's a tidbit from a Massachusetts map:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	739 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	575094  

us
    Sep 2011
    Prospecting

some of those locations are in eastern mass i think

us
    Jan 2007
    Boston area
    43 times

Ran into a guy from Vermont the other day. He said there’s a mini gold rush going on in Southern Vermont right now, after the summer hurricane and flooding. He mentioned a stream I used to pan about 30 years ago. I wish I had time to get out there before it snows.

us
    Sep 2011
    Prospecting

ya im tryin to decide weather i wana go pan out in the cold water before the snow comes or wait for warmer weather.....cept i got gold fever so im leanin towards pannin in the cold haha

us
    Jan 2007
    Boston area
    43 times

Well, the water is COLD.

us
    Mar 2011
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Gold
    3 times
    Prospecting

Went up to Newfane, VT last weekend and found a few specks. I ran the sluice for the day and collected some dirt to bring back home to run in my blue bowl, haven't gone thru it all yet.

us
    Jan 2007
    Boston area
    43 times

Quote Originally Posted by scott3165
    Went up to Newfane, VT last weekend and found a few specks. I ran the sluice for the day and collected some dirt to bring back home to run in my blue bowl, haven't gone thru it all yet.
    Great area. I've had luck there, and used to hit some great antique auctions in Newfane, too!

us
    VTGoldProspector aka Corey

Jun 2012
    Eastern Long Island
    Google Earth, my hands and a pan!
    3 times
    Prospecting
    This gold rush you speak of was indeed (and still is) an ace in the hole. Because of specifically Irene I have since moved in on the Vermont turf heavy and have put a great deal of time in since. But this only really made a difference in the areas that have been heavily prospected in the past. There is quite a bit of gold bearing areas that are virgin and have very nice pockets of gold waiting to be cleaned up regardless.

For anyone reading this that might do some prospecting in Vermont please,, Stop going to the same places as everyone else. It's kinda obvious why little color is being found when the same dirt is being panned over and over by who knows how many people! I personally guarantee there are un-prospected areas that have crazy gold.

Gold Map Maker -- Create your own gold map!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1158.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	689660
    VTGoldProspector
    Last edited by vtgoldprospector; Oct 19, 2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added a photo

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    53 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    One thing I have found that the maps won't tell you is access. I have noticed that some areas that would have good gold are below very steep banks that would be impossible for me to climb down, many that way on the Wild Ammonoosuc in NH. Or they are obviously private land - the house on the river bank is often a clue. The National Forest has lots of streams that should have gold in them, some that are well know are hit very hard.

I would love a map that would show public access, places you could legally pan or sluice and would have parking without having to have a Sherpa to carry your gear while you mount an expedition to get to the river.
    I never complain about super easy, but if I look at a sheer 20 foot bank at my age, I tend to say forget it. I have one area that I have found alot of garnets, some really big ones, I am going to go back there and work my way both down the river and up it because I am sure that anything that is easy to get to has been hit hard.

I am mainly looking for public access with parking. Of course I have only been doing this a couple of months so have a lot to learn. So far I have only prospected in NH

photos below are of the same stone one without light and one with a tactical flashlight shining through it

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59

"Free advice is seldom cheap"

Best find, 2 rolls of Walking Liberty Halves in bunch of 32 CWR

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    17 times
    Public access is becoming more and more of an issue. For that reason, I often prospect where a stream crosses the road. The area owned by the public along most roads is 3 or 4 rods wide, enough to do a little prospecting without trespassing on private land.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    53 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    I was wondering about the Swift on the Kanc by Covered Bridge, has anyone tried that and had any results?
    Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59

"Free advice is seldom cheap"

Best find, 2 rolls of Walking Liberty Halves in bunch of 32 CWR

us

Jun 2012
    Eastern Long Island
    3 times
    Prospecting

Vermont lode gold

Here is an interesting tidbit of info..

Throughout my research most say that Vermont has no real lode gold and its all alluvial. What little was found in the few mines were typically small amounts or was recovered as minor secondary commodities from other types of ore. I found an article the other day that hinted that there may still be veins waiting to be found.

See the FEATURE STORY here.

Happy reading!
    Gold Map Maker -- The ultimate prospecting tool!

Oct 2012
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hiii,,,

Helpful link check it out..
    Gold Panning in Vermont - Picture Perfect Gold

us

Jun 2012
    Eastern Long Island
    3 times
    Prospecting
    loby,

Is that your gold panning site? If so, email me please. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors