Finally logged in

tntrker

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
Upstate SC
Hello all. I have been lurking around this site for a few months now and never able to activate my account. Seems it was being "spamed" on the main screen and wasn't getting thru to my local computer. Anyhow I'm new to this. I have always had the passion to hunt for gold and now have a few spare weekends to give it a whirl. I have the Garrett panning kit along with a Keene A52. The sluice has yet to be in the water as I've only been scouting and sampling some by pan. Nothing but Mica and black sand so far but still seaching for color. Thank you all for your post and information shared on here as I have learned a great deal and will no doubt benifit from the knowledge shared on here. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Welcome to the forum, I am in the upstate of SC as well. On looking for color in the upstate, it helps to get off the beaten path. If a creek/river intersects a well traveled road, then the old timers most likely hit it hard years ago. That doesn't mean they got all the gold, they just got the easy stuff. And a lot of fine gold has been redeposited in the last 100 years since the days of heavy mining. I did a lot of research on where gold was supposed to be, but that ended up being no substitute for just getting out there and sample panning. Good luck and hope you find a spot.

OP
OP
tntrker

tntrker

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
Upstate SC
Thanks Astro. I've learned alot from your posts. I've taken my WMA map of GZ1 and listed all old mines and recommended placer sites & creeks. So I'm sure you know exactly what I'm armed with. I've been trying to goggle any pan-pay sites but have found nothing. Any advice on where one of those would be to take the family as well would appreciated. I'm just trying to arm myself with the knowledge needed and have fun.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I would forget about some of the so-called placer sites, like the middle tyger river. Its true there's some in gold there, but its also 45 feet to bedrock in some places, with tons of overburden to remove before you start finding any color. Look for some small creeks that run over the fault lines, they have plenty of fine gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions