Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By russau

Thread: Illinois gold prospecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2011
    17 times

Illinois gold prospecting

I have been going crazy trying to get an idea in illinois(near chicago) or indiana were i can pan for gold. Any help would so much appreciated. Thanks.

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    629 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Illinois gold prospecting

Hi Stang,
    hat you will have in Indiana is glacial gold deposits as will be in Illinois. There isn't much information on gold being found in Illinois however. In Indiana look in the Northern third of Brown county, Carrol Co. within 3 miles of Delphi, Cass co. near Logansport, and Fourteen Mile Creek in Clark Co. 3 1/2 miles NE of Charlestown, in Clinton CO. in the Kilmore Branch of the S. Fork of the Wildcat River. These are just a few of the counties in Indiana where gold has been found. Check the inside bends of rivers and creeks and look for exposed bedrock both in the creek and on the banks above the water line. Make sure you have owner permission if on private land. Also the Morgan-Monroe State Forest is open to panning. A permit is required and can be obtained at: Morgan-Monroe State Forest
    6220 Forest Road
    Martainsville, In 46151
    765-342-4026
    There is camping there also. Call as rates can change. The Forest personel are said to be helpful. There have been good reports about this site. Good reports have also come from near by Yellowwood State Forest. There are about 11 other counties that have reports of gold also.
    Hope this helps. Good Luck .
    B H Prospector

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    746 times

i know several prospectors in the Chicago area. you may want to look into the northern chapter of the GPAA and look over www.midwestprospector.com Chuck Lassiter

us
    Nov 2010
    High Rockies
    GB2
    1 times

I have heard of small amounts of gold being found in the streams of Northern Ill and South West Wisconsin that drain from the glacial drumlins of that area.
    If I can dig up that information, I will gladly share it with you.
    Good Luck,
    CGC
    [size=14pt]Get out and Get Some!
    http://www.coloradogoldcamp.com/[/size]

us
    Finding Diamonds in Arkansas

Apr 2011

i live in nw illinois. i might be wrong, but i think i read that any kind of gold prospecting in illinois is illegal, that the state owns all the mineral rights. so i guess if you do find gold, you are suppose to turn it into the state. in other words, go tattle on yourself.
    wrinkles

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    746 times

reading and understanding the laws in Ill. would be a great help in knowing what you can or canot do! do your research first,then go out and have some fun!guessing what you can or canot do will only get you and others in trouble!

us

Apr 2011

i did do the research. it seems you are the one lacking the ability.

Laws & Regulations for Prospecting Gold in Illinois

Gold prospecting is allowed in Illinois.
    gold image by Raimundas from Fotolia.com Gold has never been mined commercially in Illinois, but some people have had success prospecting for gold along rivers and streams and excavation sites. Prospecting in Illinois is regulated by state laws and violating these laws is punishable by fines and possibly jail time. If you follow the rules, you can prospect gold in Illinois.
    Property Rights
    The cardinal rule of prospecting in Illinois is that you must have permission from the owner of the property. Prospecting without permission is considered trespassing and you can be arrested. You should contact the owner of the land and get his written permission to prospect the land in case any troubles arises.
    Public Land
    The state of Illinois has outlawed panning on any and all state-owned sites, including parks and preserves, but other forms of prospecting are allowed with a permit. The only federal land available for prospecting is Shawnee National Forest, but you must first apply and be approved for prospecting and issued a permit by the Forest Supervisor. It is illegal to prospect without a permit.
    Mineral Rights
    If you are given a permit to prospect for gold on land owned by the state of Illinois, then you are unable to claim mineral rights if you do find gold on public lands through excavation or other means. The state maintains all mineral rights to gold found on public land. You must notify Illinois Department of Natural Resources of any gold found.
    wrinkles

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    746 times

Wrinkels ,your comment wasnt called for! i think you read toooo much into my post. dont be so defensive!
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    Jun 2008
    North-Woods WI.
    MineLab/Garret / Whites DFX / Gold Bug
    29 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

To Wrinkles.
    How can you prospect for gold in Illinois without using a pan?
    What other forms of prospecting are allowed?

us

Apr 2011

it beats me. i'm heading west in a couple of weeks. there is a park in southern illinois where you can look for gold. i can't remember the name.
    wrinkles

us
    Clint Snyder

Jan 2013
    Central Illinois
    Prospecting
    I am in central Illinois and have had some pretty good luck panning, and dredging a few small creeks in my area. I have built some sluice boxes to catch the very fine gold that exists in Illinois... as one has to be very diligent to capture it. The past year has been mostly R&D but have had some fruit for my labor. I own the property I have been dredging on (recreational dredging) and also have also amassed all the paperwork the DNR could give me as well as a large scale dredging permit...if i decide its worth expanding my operation. I am always looking for new places to underwater dredge and test...so if interested drop me a line.
    As per your question, look at any topo maps and try to find a glacial moraine in your area. If you can find a streambed below it with washed rock or better yet boulders in it or can find the clay layer or bedrock you will findClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20130106_122654.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	721964 gold. It may be small and one needs to be pretty handy at panning to make it work...but its there. Guaranteed.

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    281 times
    Prospecting
    I left Illinois 25 years ago. My reasoning was too much private land. Too many "No Trespassing" signs. Too many rules. Now I'm experiencing a repeat to a lesser extent by others moving here and bringing their old way of life with them. Control issues.
    While there might not be much gold in Ill there are a lot of rocks. A geologist said the Ozark mountains ran up to N. Ill but were ground down by glaciers. If that's the case it's a long way to bedrock.
    If I was still there I might consider a trip to N. Mich up where the iron & copper are. See if copper = gold. Iron can = platinum. I've found fossils in S. Ill. About all I found in Ill was a lot of work. I hear that's changing too.

Sponsors