Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Texas & Oklahoma panning

You got Longs Fish and Dig in Kingsland. You can either pan for gold in the creek or the Llano River at his proerty, or you can dig for Arrow Heads. It is $20 a day and you can primitive camp, or self contained RV there if you want. No showers though. Mr Long doesn't even care if you don't cover your holes. Yeah I know, I always cover mine but the people who dig 2-3 foot holes looking for arrow heads never cover their holes up. Some parts of his property where the dig site is for the arrow heads looks more like a bomb impact field. :laughing7:

You can go anywhere up or down along the river pick a spot dig, pan, sluice, highbank, or suction dredge for gold. Many many little islands with sand, dirt, vegetation, and rock outcrops with a lot of crevises to work on it to dig up as well. There is gold there I found some, mostly small flakes and specs, some garnet as well.

ArizonaGoldFever

Apr 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ

You could go to some local GPAA meetings in your area to find out other places to go gold prospecting. There are clubs in wichita falls, greenville, and granbury, tx. I'm sure if you went on a few outings with a club they could show you where to dig.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011

I'm leaving tommorrow at 9am for a ten day prospecting trip along a seven mile stretch of WildHorse Creek in the Big Spring area. According to my grandfather, (who died 20 years ago at the age of 98 and came to Texas as a young boy in a covered wagon), cowboys used to pan for gold in the WildHorse and were making about $30 dollars a week back then. Why nobody pans there today is a mystery. Through relations, i've got access to two good spots on the creek where Precambrian rock has busted through the cap rock. Seems like a good place to start to me. I've got both a metal detector and pan. Should pick up a few arrow heads along the way as well. I'll let you know what i find.

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheNewCatfish said:
I'm leaving tommorrow at 9am for a ten day prospecting trip along a seven mile stretch of WildHorse Creek in the Big Spring area. According to my grandfather, (who died 20 years ago at the age of 98 and came to Texas as a young boy in a covered wagon), cowboys used to pan for gold in the WildHorse and were making about $30 dollars a week back then. Why nobody pans there today is a mystery. Through relations, i've got access to two good spots on the creek where Precambrian rock has busted through the cap rock. Seems like a good place to start to me. I've got both a metal detector and pan. Should pick up a few arrow heads along the way as well. I'll let you know what i find.
Sounds great, would be interested in hearing how you do. Hope you find lotsa pickers.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was told that the Sandycreek outside of Fredricksburg had gold in it back in the 1800's.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

come mid-June ill find out what kind of gold Oklahoma has! even if i skunked and dont find lots of gold, ill have a good time!

forhorsmn

Feb 7, 2012
Gainesville, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheNewCatfish said:
I know this is an old thread and I hope I don't get in trouble for bringing it back up. I was wondering if anything was found on your trip? I'm in North Texas (about an hour north of Dallas) and was hoping that something could be found in this area. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I think it can be found :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread