Gold panning in Kentucky

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Travelorian,
Kentucky is not known for having any gold fields. The GPAA has no claims in the state or mention any possible places to look for gold. If I remember right Kentucky is one of two states that do not have gold, Hawaii being the other.

B H Prospector

james wv

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
Saint Albans WV
Keep on prospecting KY,there is gold in KY just as there is gold in WV.Everyone has always told me "Nope,aint no gold in Kanawha County" he he I now have some..It's no bonanza,but it is here..
Don't give up,look for spots where fishing sinkers,buck shot and the likes tend to gather in the stream beds for your best odds.
Closer to the Ohio River the better....Good Luck and keep us posted! :headbang:

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Yup, there is gold in KY, Panned it myself........look to the northern counties. Or way east in the mountains......anyplace else is a waste of time although it is there it is buried under millions of years of limestone where a warm water sea once was. you wont find it. If you don't live in Northern KY and cant travel then buy a metal detector because that's allot more productive in central KY.

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom Massie did a show and found gold in the pine knob area a while back.
Also like a couple others said, towards the Northern border you should find it where the glaciers touched.

evildee44

Nov 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:I have property in southern Ky with 2 creeks that come together and this property is not limeston its sand
stone and peagravel and a lot of quarts in the gavel.is this some place that gold might by found?
surfin said:
Yup, there is gold in KY, Panned it myself........look to the northern counties. Or way east in the mountains......anyplace else is a waste of time although it is there it is buried under millions of years of limestone where a warm water sea once was. you wont find it. If you don't live in Northern KY and cant travel then buy a metal detector because that's allot more productive in central KY.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice little read with good info. Thanks.

All the best,

Lanny

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that there are people that do some panning in kentucky with moderate results. On a side not, I saw your profile picture and was like "wow i know that tree!" then saw you were from owen county and realized i was right! Sadly, coney Island cut it down a last year....

keithsplace

May 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know where the closest other places to pan near Louisville KY.?

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
james wv Kentucky is limestone I don't think glaciers went that far south, and the Allegheny river that feeds the Ohio went north toward erie in those days I think. I am not trying to say there isn't gold there I am just trying to figure it out too. I did see the glacier in Ohio state went far south. Lots of ancient geological history to figure out . Laural mt is limestone also

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread