Panning in upper E. Tenn?

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's V3I, Garrett's AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! I'm a complete beginner at panning, but I was wondering if anyone has found Gold in east Tennessee streams? I have 40 acres of mountain land that my mom and stepdad use for hunting, that has a good size stream that actually starts from under the mountain and runs down the property. The botton of the stream is all rock, and it actually looks like a very long slow sloping waterfall instead of a creek. Was thinkinh of detecting and panning for gold here just for fun, but I have never panned for anything besides rubies in North Carolina. Thanks for any info! Have a good day

James

Upvote 0
OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm about 1.5 hours north of there. in Greene County... Same mountain range though! gonna have to just go and waste some sweat finding out I guess!!!

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
J.d!! if you have never paned for gold befor, you might want to get the pan you want to use and the smallest bird shot you can find, count some shot and put in dirt or gravel you are going to pan, pan it out when you get to the point that you get the same # out as you put in you are ready to go for de gold. Terry take that advice for what it sounds worth to you, i am trying to keep my shot in the pan. hope to be ready for de gold soon.

OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks! thats a great idea!!! I'm gonna go hit it this weekend with a metal detector just to see if I can find ANY evidence. doubt I will, but I have alot of learning for this panning stuff before I give it a shot there.

Heath j

Dec 11, 2010
Cleveland, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
I panned gold at Coker Creek for the first time this year and it is in no doubt and art!!!! :BangHead: :BangHead: I couldn't get it right to save my life but luckily my buddy I went with is a seasoned vet and we managed 30 pieces in one day. Small tiny teeny tincy weenie pieces but still a lot of fun!!

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi J.dean,
The problem with using a metal detector to find a place to pan is that most of the gold you are likely to encounter will be four gold and most detectors will not pick it up unless you hit a heavy pocket. Best to find likely spots and test pan and see if you get any color. Look for areas of gravel on the inside curves and around large rocks. Dig deep as gold is heavy.

Good luck
B H Prospector

Svverwter

Greenie
Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for*your posts!*Very interesting!

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good advice here. Get your panning skills down before even trying NE Tennesse gold.

I got a little gold panning around Greeneville back in the 70's. Not enough to pay for the pan much less my lunch and gas but it's beautiful country to spend your days in.

Backside of the TEM plant and above Tusculum were the best areas I found - YMMV. I've heard some has been found around the tri city area but that's second hand info.

Look for signs of quartz, greenstone and resistant rock outcrops. Marble size and smaller gravel packed like cement into cracks between rounded boulders is your best chance at pay material. The local slate isn't going to have any pay material.

If you are near the start of a steep stream and the bedrock is slate I'd be looking around nearby hollers. Short run streams without signs of quartz aren't worth your time.

Be careful out there. Always ask permission to prospect. Some of the hill folk can be a bit touchy - as I'm sure you know if you live there. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nugget.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread