EAST FORK , SAN GABRIAL , SO CAL

moondog2000

Mar 19, 2010
Beaumont California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT,MXT,GOLD MONSTER 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last thursday my wife and I got to the east fork at about 2:30 in the afternoon to pan . Well I found a real sweet spot, one of the gold layers. I could not believe the gold in every pan we were getting. We panned till the sun went down and walked out in the dark. I sure wished I'd had all day and my sluice. I'll try to load some pics of a couple pans we got. Got some nice little pickers-clinkers.
[/img]

Attachments

• IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 1,584
Upvote 0

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uncle Dave
Thanks for posting the pics.......Slimstick......As he lost the toss.....I got the 2 gram nugget.......he got the leftovers. Actually it was all good. Raw Dog lost out....we both know he should'a been there to share in the wealth. Oh....by the way....no more "slippin---slidin----fallin"....my leg still hurts big time. Who put moved friggin' boulder in that muddy hole, anyway? You should'a seen the one Slimstick moved on Friday.....bigger than both of you'se put together.
Thank goodness you got "the job". I hope the week went well for you. I'm heading to East Fork about noon.....maybe. View attachment 680354
This old Bubble-Head is signing off.........(you don't even know what a bubble head is....??)

Great pic uncle dave. The hole is always changing. Was slimstick up there friday, or you mean fresno mark? I think you meant fresno mark...or as we now call him "rolling boulder" due to the fact that he is always interested in moving boulders. Great way to get some gold!

Goldpaw and I washed some gravels today. I was there yesterday and got a nice showing of pickers and flakes. We are upon a definite gloryhole. Good gold. Tomorrow, we shall rise from the watershed, drywashing poi's above the river. Hope to see you soon uncle dave, jackpot,slimstick, rolling boulder...

Yours Truly,
Rawdog

mf1arch

Greenie
Sep 2, 2012
rawdog said:
Great pic uncle dave. The hole is always changing. Was slimstick up there friday, or you mean fresno mark? I think you meant fresno mark...or as we now call him "rolling boulder" due to the fact that he is always interested in moving boulders. Great way to get some gold!

Goldpaw and I washed some gravels today. I was there yesterday and got a nice showing of pickers and flakes. We are upon a definite gloryhole. Good gold. Tomorrow, we shall rise from the watershed, drywashing poi's above the river. Hope to see you soon uncle dave, jackpot,slimstick, rolling boulder...

Yours Truly,
Rawdog

Hahaha...I am he who rolls boulders. There's just so much satisfaction getting those fat rocks to roll. The sound as the mud's suction power weakens, the crushing gravel beneath...and if course the treasures that lye beneath. Yes...I roll boulders and love it.

Dave, sorry to hear about the sore legs. How about a trip to the lucky nugget claim this weekend? You can man the dry washer while I tear apart the landscape supplying you with sweet nugget bearing dirt.

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha...I am he who rolls boulders. There's just so much satisfaction getting those fat rocks to roll. The sound as the mud's suction power weakens, the crushing gravel beneath...and if course the treasures that lye beneath. Yes...I roll boulders and love it.

Dave, sorry to hear about the sore legs. How about a trip to the lucky nugget claim this weekend? You can man the dry washer while I tear apart the landscape supplying you with sweet nugget bearing dirt.

You describe it so poetically. You have golden paws my friend. Keep uncle dave on dry land for now, til he heals.

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DSCN1766.JPG Ok.....you young-whipper-snappers.....I can roll'dem boulders too. I had a hand in moving the last one with Slimstick. LOL!! It was fun yesterday....too bad ya'all had to get down the hiway, home. Thanks for leaving all them-thar' nuggets for me. Actually...I left at 2:30....and made Palm Desert at a little after 4.
Mark....Sheila and I are going to the FCM's claim off Black Eagle Mine road, in about an hour. There are two claims at Middle Camp....and we can drive right up to where we set up the DW'r. I've been to the area, and know the road...and its hazards...its strictly 4 wheeling. Its a fun ride....and there are a lot of interesting washes...canyons. I'll let you know how we do, as that may be where we (me-n-u) will go this weekend. Lets plan a trip to one of the club claims to do a little DW'ing...I've made all the topo's and satellite maps for all the FCM's claims. As their package only had the minimal info. The club doesn't have directions or a map to the Lucky Nugget claim....and that's a long trip for me. I know its not far for you....but, I need to make that a "just-me-n-u" trip. We'll see how the prospecting goes today.
I want to let the boys know they are welcome on any of our trips.....YES!!! That means U....Raw Dog, and Gold Paw. Mark can come down from Yucca Valley...when you guys come out out....and we can have a bar-b-que at the house....after a day of prospecting/DW'g. I've gotten to know this area well. Just exploring the old mines out here is a blast. As you've seen from the pictures I've posted previously. It would be a FUN weekend. a Waterfall-jacuzzi & golf course.jpg a Pool, jacuzzi, front of house.jpg

Last edited:

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mark.....glad you're working......but, the real work was keeping Gold Paw and Raw Dog....diggin' and sluicin'. LOL! DSCN2801.JPG

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark.....glad you're working......but, the real work was keeping Gold Paw and Raw Dog....diggin' and sluicin'. LOL! View attachment 680993

One Sunday would be perfect for Goldpaw and I, as the East fork is a zoo. Lets plan it. Great pics, Uncle Dave.

Goldpaw and I scaled the mountain up to an old Chinese camp yesterday for a litte "sneak and peek". As we rose from the watershed, we came upon camp ruins and towering high benches. I broke my wooden handled pick in the cemented gravels, but it only warmed my heart further, as I graciously accepted the lashing from the fruitful gold bearing cemented gravels. Goldpaw was so excited he almost shat himself. We detected the benches, like probably hundreds before us, and didnt get a signal. We know there are nuggets behind the rocks, so we shall bar our way into the gut of the cemented gravels, while watching for rock slides. Found an old can from the 50's 16 inches down inside what proved to be a tailings piles under the overburden....Now, we figure a way to get a drywasher up there...

Last edited:

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Hi Rawdog. A framed back pack with no pack is what I use. I'm sure you have seen guys at the river with them. I've met some guys in Big Bear who have made their own little backpack drywashers, very compact and light weight. Not positive but I believe no motorized equipment is allowed...be careful not to get your gear snagged. See you have a chance to go out on a FCM claim. Great club, great people. I know some and have been to their outing. Best of luck.

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Raw Dog.....thanks for the update on your hike up the hill.....sounds really interesting....and possibly profitable.
Sheila and I went out to the FCM's Middle Camp claim (as we are now members)....out Black Eagle Mine Rd. Awsome area....not many people been there....way off the beaten path. Its a 1 1/2 hour drive from my house in Palm Desert....through great desert country. Saw our first desert tortoise trying to "cross the road".....then he ran off at a hellatious pace of 3 ft a minute. Cut little devil. Then I spotted a coyote walking....about a 50 yards from us. I whistled....he stopped....looked at us....and kept walking. I whistled again...he stopped and had this look on his face....that said: WTF do you want?
Anyway....we got to the claim....drove it from North to South....found the wash that everyone had been working for the last few years. But.....there's still lots of workable areas. We didn't drive the old road up to the mine....will do that later, as I wanted to "work the dirt". We followed the wash....as it made a right turn....and narrowed. It was down to bedrock of quartz & granite. Cracked all to pieces. I ran the dry washer for about 1 1/2 hours....ended up with 1/2 gallon of concentrate. Then took a break digging for Sheila, as she had detected something....and required a little manly digging. Another antique rusty tin-can (we got two for the day). Then she and I vacumed and scratched the bedrock cracks out.....and ended up with 3 gallons.......that I'd put through the blue wheel when we got home. It got dark on me.....and I found 3 nice "chunks"....not flakes after running it through the blue wheel. I'm going back....I know there are nuggets there....somewhere. I found a lot of pure iron rocks....the size of baseballs. REALLY HEAVY. Lots of Iron rocks in the cracks too.
Just talked to Mark....he wants to go this weekend.
Raw Dog.....why don't you'all come out to Palm Desert on Friday night somethime? We can hustle 2 days prospecting? DSCN2835.JPG DSCN2821.JPG DSCN2829.JPG

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
David that looks like a perfect spot to find heavies in the bottom left pic.2-3 yards past where the narrow opens into the fan water pressure drops. On another claim in the Dale i picked a spot like that and dug a test hole, 3x3x3. Never made it to bedrock. My nephew and I dug for 2 hours and came up with 3 and a 1/2 ounces of lead.The theory works. Next time I go back I will go to the same spot but look a little shorter distance into the fan and go deeper. Best of luck. Follow the gold ;)

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raw Dog.....thanks for the update on your hike up the hill.....sounds really interesting....and possibly profitable.
Sheila and I went out to the FCM's Middle Camp claim (as we are now members)....out Black Eagle Mine Rd. Awsome area....not many people been there....way off the beaten path. Its a 1 1/2 hour drive from my house in Palm Desert....through great desert country. Saw our first desert tortoise trying to "cross the road".....then he ran off at a hellatious pace of 3 ft a minute. Cut little devil. Then I spotted a coyote walking....about a 50 yards from us. I whistled....he stopped....looked at us....and kept walking. I whistled again...he stopped and had this look on his face....that said: WTF do you want?
Anyway....we got to the claim....drove it from North to South....found the wash that everyone had been working for the last few years. But.....there's still lots of workable areas. We didn't drive the old road up to the mine....will do that later, as I wanted to "work the dirt". We followed the wash....as it made a right turn....and narrowed. It was down to bedrock of quartz & granite. Cracked all to pieces. I ran the dry washer for about 1 1/2 hours....ended up with 1/2 gallon of concentrate. Then took a break digging for Sheila, as she had detected something....and required a little manly digging. Another antique rusty tin-can (we got two for the day). Then she and I vacumed and scratched the bedrock cracks out.....and ended up with 3 gallons.......that I'd put through the blue wheel when we got home. It got dark on me.....and I found 3 nice "chunks"....not flakes after running it through the blue wheel. I'm going back....I know there are nuggets there....somewhere. I found a lot of pure iron rocks....the size of baseballs. REALLY HEAVY. Lots of Iron rocks in the cracks too.
Just talked to Mark....he wants to go this weekend.
Raw Dog.....why don't you'all come out to Palm Desert on Friday night somethime? We can hustle 2 days prospecting? View attachment 681288 View attachment 681289 View attachment 681290

Nice chunks Uncle Dave. Little nuggets? I'll be available on Sunday. I spend time with my young son thur-sun. Unfortunately, he is a bit young for the adventure. Rawdogs not a wed. dad! My son is #1!

We need to get the detectors out with pieces like that uncle dave...looks profitable. No fines? Ive got a spot near palmdale with hardly any small gold...All big with some pinkie nail sized nuggets. Gotta hit it before the rains, although is has been rumored the sandbar pays up to 1/4 oz a day in just in colors about 2 feet down with sluice box during storms (seasonal creek). I think the 4 of us should go do some work there some time...

My availability is sun-thur...Same for goldpaw, although he is an academic, and sometimes needs to study...

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice chunks Uncle Dave. Little nuggets? I'll be available on Sunday. I spend time with my young son thur-sun. Unfortunately, he is a bit young for the adventure. Rawdogs not a wed. dad! My son is #1!

We need to get the detectors out with pieces like that uncle dave...looks profitable. No fines? Ive got a spot near palmdale with hardly any small gold...All big with some pinkie nail sized nuggets. Gotta hit it before the rains, although is has been rumored the sandbar pays up to 1/4 oz a day in just in colors about 2 feet down with sluice box during storms (seasonal creek). I think the 4 of us should go do some work there some time...

My availability is sun-thur...Same for goldpaw, although he is an academic, and sometimes needs to study...

Nice creek...Looks like that thing moves some gravel...Is that the area you were digging? Looks like a lot of bedrock to detect..Lots of nuggets stuck in those cracks...

Interesting tidbit...Goldpaw and I popped a nice picker out of cajon creek IN THE FIRST COUPLE BUCKETS. Have you been there uncle dave, or just blue cut? I was surprised, as I had never seen gold that size in that portion of the creek, as the bedrock is very deep. This must have been recent ( 4 feet down lol) flood gold. Cajon creek rages during flash flood stage...rages....Now the east fork...thats a whole nother story...Take advantage of the low water while its here...

Last edited:

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice creek...Looks like that thing moves some gravel...Is that the area you were digging? Looks like a lot of bedrock to detect..Lots of nuggets stuck in those cracks...

Interesting tidbit...Goldpaw and I popped a nice picker out of cajon creek @ swartmouth rode. Have you been there uncle dave, or just blue cut? I was surprised, as I had never seen gold that size in that portion of the creek, as the bedrock is very deep. This must have been recent ( 4 feet down lol) flood gold. Cajon creek rages during flash flood stage...rages....Now the east fork...thats a whole nother story...Take advantage of the low water while its here...

p.s uncle dave...nice find on sheila...it's rare to find a rockhound/metal detector hog for a girlfriend...she's a keeper!

Sincerely,
Rawdog

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rawdog. A framed back pack with no pack is what I use. I'm sure you have seen guys at the river with them. I've met some guys in Big Bear who have made their own little backpack drywashers, very compact and light weight. Not positive but I believe no motorized equipment is allowed...be careful not to get your gear snagged. See you have a chance to go out on a FCM claim. Great club, great people. I know some and have been to their outing. Best of luck.

Im talking production size. Where in big bear? Gold Mountain? Ever tried rattlesnake canyon, Jack?

True story...Goldpaw and I met in the San Bernardino mountains...

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Yeah I like gold mtn. rattlesnake is great too. I try to pick spots by weather lol. gold mtn and east fork are my go to summer spots.

I have a home made dry washer that is a take off of the gold buddy. Its not as heavy as the keene 151 and I would rate its production
to a yard to two yards per day, depending on material being run and how dry. At coolgardie I can shovel dry caliche and gravel at it all day. In the mtns
it seems there is always clay and dirt clods that need to be smashed up and it slows production. Damp dirt never helps either lol. Here is me eating crow
and running damp dirt at coolgardie lol. Banging on my drywasher and force feeding it hahaha!

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Considering the title of the thread, Here is a short video of gold I found on my own @ the San Gabriel River..east fork. I wont post my "spots" publicly with digits, ....Mostly because of the vultures. I will encourage newbies to head up to the SGR. Its a great place to get started. In my video is what you can expect *IF* you locate a decent spot. Some find Better places. ;).........

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering the title of the thread, Here is a short video of gold I found on my own @ the San Gabriel River..east fork. I wont post my "spots" publicly with digits, ....Mostly because of the vultures. I will encourage newbies to head up to the SGR. Its a great place to get started. In my video is what you can expect *IF* you locate a decent spot. Some find Better places. ;).........

The name of the game is moving a lot of dirt. There's no such thing as luck...Nice pieces

I try to look for where the gold is chunkiest. Much of the river is very fine. More of the chunkier stuff is in the banks. Still, I try to take advantage of the low river during warmer months. People tend to cave in the banks near the waterline, which messes everything up.

Good luck to you...

Rawdog

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
I couldn't agree more Rawdog. Volume is just as important as knowing where to dig. The gold I posted was the result of throwing unclassified shovels at my sluice for about 8 hours.

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a while since I've been on this thread. I've been getting out to East fork with it opened up again. The digging was tough. But that's not a complaint!

I'm going to hike in my whites MXT the next time in the hopes of finding some iron pockets.

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Raw Dog, Gold Paw, Jack, Fresno Mark, & Hoshnashi.....
Sorry....I actually had to work a little.
I'm just bringing it to your attention....that we're going to have a problem coming up with the San Gabriel River. All from an article in the LA Times. You've got to read it....and understand that we're going to be hassled prospecting in the river. Here is the link to the article......Please read it.
Overuse threatens East Fork of the San Gabriel River - Los Angeles Times
I know you'll be upset.....and it won't do any good to complain or whine about the fact that they are going to start "citing" us. Yes.......we do need to do something about it. We know the real problem is the mass of people (1000's every day on a weekend) that "trash" our lovely river. And we also know that the prospector doesn't trash the river.....yes we've made small dam's, as miner's have done for a 100 years.....and then every Winter, Mother Nature wipe's them out. That is not the issue. I think that someone called the LA Times, and gave them the story to write about the "TRASHED" river/park area. Its location is too close to millions of people, and with that comes the good and bad. Parks are free to use by everyone....and the "lower income" masses use them the most. As we've all seen. Now its a matter of what to do? I have a feeling that if there was a charge to enter the park.....that a lot of people would not enter. Even if it was only $5. Would'nt it be stupid if the USFS closed off the river to all use?
I don't know where this is going to go.....but I know its not going to be good.
There is one thing in our favor. THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A BUDGET....AND THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH MANPOWER. I'am going to the river on the weekdays (to avoid the masses). Plus.....I haven't seen a USFS ranger during the midweek, as I'm sure they are UNDER-STAFFED.
AND THATS A GOOD THING.
David DSCN2543.JPG

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raw Dog, Gold Paw, Jack, Fresno Mark, & Hoshnashi.....
Sorry....I actually had to work a little.
I'm just bringing it to your attention....that we're going to have a problem coming up with the San Gabriel River. All from an article in the LA Times. You've got to read it....and understand that we're going to be hassled prospecting in the river. Here is the link to the article......Please read it.
Overuse threatens East Fork of the San Gabriel River - Los Angeles Times
I know you'll be upset.....and it won't do any good to complain or whine about the fact that they are going to start "citing" us. Yes.......we do need to do something about it. We know the real problem is the mass of people (1000's every day on a weekend) that "trash" our lovely river. And we also know that the prospector doesn't trash the river.....yes we've made small dam's, as miner's have done for a 100 years.....and then every Winter, Mother Nature wipe's them out. That is not the issue. I think that someone called the LA Times, and gave them the story to write about the "TRASHED" river/park area. Its location is too close to millions of people, and with that comes the good and bad. Parks are free to use by everyone....and the "lower income" masses use them the most. As we've all seen. Now its a matter of what to do? I have a feeling that if there was a charge to enter the park.....that a lot of people would not enter. Even if it was only $5. Would'nt it be stupid if the USFS closed off the river to all use?
I don't know where this is going to go.....but I know its not going to be good.
There is one thing in our favor. THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A BUDGET....AND THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH MANPOWER. I'am going to the river on the weekdays (to avoid the masses). Plus.....I haven't seen a USFS ranger during the midweek, as I'm sure they are UNDER-STAFFED.
AND THATS A GOOD THING.
David View attachment 683043

I can see it now.....
cry.gif

roadclosed.jpg images.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread