EAST FORK , SAN GABRIAL , SO CAL

moondog2000

Mar 19, 2010
Beaumont California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT,MXT,GOLD MONSTER 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last thursday my wife and I got to the east fork at about 2:30 in the afternoon to pan . Well I found a real sweet spot, one of the gold layers. I could not believe the gold in every pan we were getting. We panned till the sun went down and walked out in the dark. I sure wished I'd had all day and my sluice. I'll try to load some pics of a couple pans we got. Got some nice little pickers-clinkers.
[/img]

Attachments

• IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 1,584
Upvote 0

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's bad news indeed. I only got to go the EF a handfull of times this season. Although I've only been prospecting a little over a year now, EF seems to go through these idle threat cycles fairly often. I hope this is just another and we can go back to business as usual. It would be a major downer to see that we lose such a great spot due to the incompetence of others.

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
rawdog said:
The name of the game is moving a lot of dirt. There's no such thing as luck...Nice pieces

I try to look for where the gold is chunkiest. Much of the river is very fine. More of the chunkier stuff is in the banks. Still, I try to take advantage of the low river during warmer months. People tend to cave in the banks near the waterline, which messes everything up.

Good luck to you...

Rawdog

When are you guys going to east fork again? It kinda sucks going out alone every time. If u don't mind me hangin, I have some good equip, 151 dry washer, high banker, detector,, ect, an of course, a good set of arms that like to move a lot of material! Lol.

Where is a good place to put a shovel at east fork? Do u guys hump a lot there to get to a good spot? Thanks.

Scott

DSA186

Oct 3, 2012
Westminster, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter...
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Scott,

I'm up in East Fork at least twice a week. I am always looking for people to dig with and hopefully find more color. I got all my own equipment as well. If you ever down to kick back for the day and move as much dirt as possible, PM me and I'll shoot you my number. I'll be up there tomorrow morning (Thurs, 10/03/12) and (Sun 10/06/12). Let me know.

Jimbo

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Scott & Jimbo......I hope ya'all have luck at the EF. I'll be heading there next Wednesday. I just sluice about 200 yards down from the CC bridge....on the West side of the river. IMG_1786.JPG
Here is two days work two weeks ago....by Fresno Mark and I.....working Raw Dog & Gold Paw's swimmin'hole. The "dog-bone" was found under a 300 lb boulder the boys moved. I'm the Old Guy....and let the youngster's do the heavy lifting.

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd also heard that they will cite anyone using any motorized mining equipment. Have you seen anyone using dry-washers at EF? I'd like to bring mine down sometime. Hand-crank dry washer's are a pain....I know....I've seen them wear two young guys out in an hour.

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raw Dog, Gold Paw, Jack, Fresno Mark, & Hoshnashi.....
Sorry....I actually had to work a little.
I'm just bringing it to your attention....that we're going to have a problem coming up with the San Gabriel River. All from an article in the LA Times. You've got to read it....and understand that we're going to be hassled prospecting in the river. Here is the link to the article......Please read it.
Overuse threatens East Fork of the San Gabriel River - Los Angeles Times
I know you'll be upset.....and it won't do any good to complain or whine about the fact that they are going to start "citing" us. Yes.......we do need to do something about it. We know the real problem is the mass of people (1000's every day on a weekend) that "trash" our lovely river. And we also know that the prospector doesn't trash the river.....yes we've made small dam's, as miner's have done for a 100 years.....and then every Winter, Mother Nature wipe's them out. That is not the issue. I think that someone called the LA Times, and gave them the story to write about the "TRASHED" river/park area. Its location is too close to millions of people, and with that comes the good and bad. Parks are free to use by everyone....and the "lower income" masses use them the most. As we've all seen. Now its a matter of what to do? I have a feeling that if there was a charge to enter the park.....that a lot of people would not enter. Even if it was only $5. Would'nt it be stupid if the USFS closed off the river to all use?
I don't know where this is going to go.....but I know its not going to be good.
There is one thing in our favor. THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A BUDGET....AND THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH MANPOWER. I'am going to the river on the weekdays (to avoid the masses). Plus.....I haven't seen a USFS ranger during the midweek, as I'm sure they are UNDER-STAFFED.
AND THATS A GOOD THING.
David View attachment 683043

Uncle Dave,

I read this article last Sunday. I was upset to hear they had lumped in the "1000's" of prospectors in with the 90=% of people who don't prospect, and leave all their trash and diapers. Think about it...Do you think prospectors are bringing babies in diapers to prospect. I have a 5 year old boy that is just old enough to hit the river this season...

Prospectors aren't the problem. Go up there on a sunday and see for yourself...

There will be a vote in march 2013 to close off the east fork as a national park or state park to get it funding to clean up. It's pretty sad that there currently is only 1 trash person assigned to the area, as per that article...I've thanked her on several occasions...

Lets face it, the east fork isn't the richest gold area, but there is something mystic and serene about digging gold there. I can't explain it, but it feels good. The cool river on a hot day, or maybe the warm banks on a cold winter day...Theres nothing like it...

I'm confident the vote will pass. Kiss the EF goodbye to prospecting...I don't know where this will end, but lets face it, Californias become a green state for now...

Best to everyone and lets hit the desert....better gold out there anyway...

Rawdog

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott & Jimbo......I hope ya'all have luck at the EF. I'll be heading there next Wednesday. I just sluice about 200 yards down from the CC bridge....on the West side of the river. View attachment 683466
Here is two days work two weeks ago....by Fresno Mark and I.....working Raw Dog & Gold Paw's swimmin'hole. The "dog-bone" was found under a 300 lb boulder the boys moved. I'm the Old Guy....and let the youngster's do the heavy lifting.

See you there next week uncle dave...trying to post some cleanouts for the people on here. Did a 3 hour run and got .2 Did a 1 hour run and got .3 Very important to monitor production for best results

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
DSA186 said:
Hey Scott,

I'm up in East Fork at least twice a week. I am always looking for people to dig with and hopefully find more color. I got all my own equipment as well. If you ever down to kick back for the day and move as much dirt as possible, PM me and I'll shoot you my number. I'll be up there tomorrow morning (Thurs, 10/03/12) and (Sun 10/06/12). Let me know.

Jimbo

Sounds great jimbo. We're u there yesterday? Saw a few guys prospecting, just above the bridge. I was below it.

Chris(not sure of his screen name) Came and meet me there and what a blast! Found my first lil nugget! Thanks for the tips Chris!

We were working top end of nugget row/alley and found some nice color.

Be going on next Monday most likely, btw. Anyone wanna roll??

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, this is sad, but expected. I knew something was going to happen after that fire. I was up there that day and it was absolutely packed. Trash everywhere, including a diaper where I was sluicing. Unfu$#^%believable. Unfortunately there is miner trash up there too. I always see broken buckets, screens and other miner trash, although nothing on the scale of non-miner trash. Get your gold, get your photos and get your video while you can.

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
rawdog said:
Uncle Dave,

I read this article last Sunday. I was upset to hear they had lumped in the "1000's" of prospectors in with the 90=% of people who don't prospect, and leave all their trash and diapers. Think about it...Do you think prospectors are bringing babies in diapers to prospect. I have a 5 year old boy that is just old enough to hit the river this season...

Prospectors aren't the problem. Go up there on a sunday and see for yourself...

There will be a vote in march 2013 to close off the east fork as a national park or state park to get it funding to clean up. It's pretty sad that there currently is only 1 trash person assigned to the area, as per that article...I've thanked her on several occasions...

Lets face it, the east fork isn't the richest gold area, but there is something mystic and serene about digging gold there. I can't explain it, but it feels good. The cool river on a hot day, or maybe the warm banks on a cold winter day...Theres nothing like it...

I'm confident the vote will pass. Kiss the EF goodbye to prospecting...I don't know where this will end, but lets face it, Californias become a green state for now...

Best to everyone and lets hit the desert....better gold out there anyway...

Rawdog

Raw dog, this is horrible news. Many many clubs and family's go to the river for fun prospecting. What a dawm Shawn.

First the dredging, now the closures are starting. CA prospecting is going to get worse and worse. Sorry to say. Sad day when the historic east is shut down. A lot of history there and it will be just a faint memory.

Shaking my head with dis belief.

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's happening everywhere.....I live in Palm Desert, and go to "The Dale Mining" area above Joshua Tree NP on a regular basis. Now it (1000's of acres) may be annexed to the park....and that will be the end of mining there. Even though they say they will honor the mining claims........NOT!! I belong to First Class Miner's of Yucca Valley....they have claims there....and they get hasseled already. The City of 29 Palms is behind it.....as there is a company that wants to put windmills in a small area near the town (which the city fathers don't want). So the city got the Forestry Service to consider annexing the land to the Joshua Tree NP.....and that would stop the windmill project. Also the Forestry Service told the city that they will spend $$millions to improve the park.....NOT!! The FS doesn't have any extra $$ to spend.....and they are getting their budget cut........LIARS!! Once they declare it a "Preserve".......no one is allowed to drive off of a "designated" road. And foot traffic is only allowed on "designated" paths.
The Commie Pinko's are alive and well in the good ole USA.
Uncle Dave

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice day at The Red Cloud Mine

I left Palm Desert at 9am....and was at the Red Cloud Mine....and at "THE HOLE" by 10:30am. The road in....was totally washed out for the last 3 miles....and only 4-wheel drive accesible. I started digging in a 6ft deep hole that others had made....and drywashed, on the North side of the current stream bed, in an area that was about 6ft higher....and about 10 feet from the North wall of granite that came down to the stream. So there must be a bedrock under me. The soil I was digging in was mixed river rock, soil, sand, and broken rock (up to 10" in size, but mainly 4"). I just threw the rocks onto the cobble pile others had started....downstream from the hole. I didn't do any test panning, as I'd already found gold downstream....and after 3 1/2 buckets I started the drywasher and ran that. After the cleanout....I had lunch, and appreciated the great day....80 degrees and clear blue skies...with a slight breeze that kept the dust away....and me, cool. I hadn't been out in awhile, and my energy level was waning....but I'd decided that I would do another 3 1/2 buckets....I did, and ran that. I really wanted to take some buckets of un-processed dirt back with me.....but was too tired, after 4 hours of digging. I packed up after taking some pictures, decided to get the Lancruiser turned around to head downstream. OOOOPS!!! I ended up high centering the truck on a 400 lb boulder. The right rear wheel was off stuck between two boulders....with the traction bar on top of the biggest boulder, and the left rear wheel was off the ground....just hanging. I was stuck....I got the shovels out and started digging the rear boulder out....that was easy. But, the front one was about 2 ft in diameter. And after 15 minutes I had dug under it enough for it to drop out from under the frame. Letting the tire back down on the ground. I couldn't move it, as it weighed too much, but it allowed me to back-away from it. Anyway....It was a lot easier trip out of the canyon....going downhill.
DSCN2893.JPG DSCN2895.JPG DSCN2899.JPG DSCN2912.JPG

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rawdog....Gold Paw. Sorry, I couldn't join ya'all at the EF the last couple of weeks. Just been way busy with "stuff". I hope you were able to make it out there.....and got MY share of the yellow stuff. DSCN2895.JPG

David Buehn

Jul 25, 2012
Palm Desert, Ca
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would be great....if ya'all could come out for a full weekend at the house....and we go to Red Cloud Mine drywashing. With Fresno Mark and you-2....we could get some gold. Maybe we could camp out there....Hmmm. Sheila wouldn't come, as she'd only go if "there was room service".
DSCN1552.JPG DSCN1565.JPG DSCN1584.JPG

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be great....if ya'all could come out for a full weekend at the house....and we go to Red Cloud Mine drywashing. With Fresno Mark and you-2....we could get some gold. Maybe we could camp out there....Hmmm. Sheila wouldn't come, as she'd only go if "there was room service".
View attachment 687905 View attachment 687906 View attachment 687907

Uncle Dave,

Great trip yesterday to the "secret spot" near cajon creek. Lots of hard work..and some nice gold...who could ask for anything more, accept some before and after/other pics ? Next time...

Glad that guy down by the river didnt start any trouble...always looking for handouts..trying to buy a beer with 35 cents...What, is this 1957? Scumbags...

Anyways...just got a message from a pupil we taught with a nice showing from our hole up at the EF, thats been jumped more than a gangbanger...Nice work, Chris!

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay Miners
I just joined this week.
Been mining on and off for 20 years now.
I love East Fork. It has become my most common mining location.
Check out my first thread post.
Mid-Week Mining at East Fork SG River.

My Avatar pic is last weeks finds from up by Heaton Flats.
I'm planing a trip back in 2 weeks - Mid-Week.
November 14th is my target.
If anyone reading this comes up there before Saturday I'm in the 79 chevy Truck cab class C coach.
Or near Heaton Flats mining.

I hate these weekend war parties up there.
I fill a trash bag at the parking lot every time I go.
One trip with another coach buddy on a Holiday we put out a free trash bag stand
and a sign to please pick up any trash and bring the bag to the road.
A hundred bags were brought back from the river,
and there was still trash around the banks, but it could have been worse.
That was at the Oaks Picnic Area.

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Hey brotha,

I will come join you if I do not get hosed at work and if the weather is good :).

I as well, will only go there on the weekdays. I do like east fork and yes there is still gold there. Check this little baby I found about a month ago at easy fork. Thanks for the help Chris!

image-169141076.jpg

kainthes

Dec 14, 2012
Hello.....

I have been lurking around for a day or so and finally thought I would say Hi... My name is Rick and I live in Simi Valley, Ventura County about 15 minutes from Keene Engineering).. I am new to prospecting but the first bucket of dirt, first sight of fools gold.. I was hooked, dork huh.... I have been to the EF a few times, met some cool people, none on this site at least that I know. From the posts it doesn't seem like anything has been going on lately but I wanted to double check. I have some questions etc.. but I am still reading all the forums here and don't want to double post.

I currently just use a A51 Keene sluice, and the trusty shovel for now.. trying to talk the wife into letting me pick up some more equipment, but I'm happy as a pig in slop to just get out there and enjoy some diggings.

Rick...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread