Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: EAST FORK , SAN GABRIAL , SO CAL

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Aug 2012
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hamilton View Post
    Considering the title of the thread, Here is a short video of gold I found on my own @ the San Gabriel River..east fork. I wont post my "spots" publicly with digits, ....Mostly because of the vultures. I will encourage newbies to head up to the SGR. Its a great place to get started. In my video is what you can expect *IF* you locate a decent spot. Some find Better places. .........
    The name of the game is moving a lot of dirt. There's no such thing as luck...Nice pieces

I try to look for where the gold is chunkiest. Much of the river is very fine. More of the chunkier stuff is in the banks. Still, I try to take advantage of the low river during warmer months. People tend to cave in the banks near the waterline, which messes everything up.

Good luck to you...

Rawdog

us
    Apr 2009
    Murrieta Ca
    Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
    13 times
    I couldn't agree more Rawdog. Volume is just as important as knowing where to dig. The gold I posted was the result of throwing unclassified shovels at my sluice for about 8 hours.
    rawdog likes this.
    www.Hamiltontileandstone.com

us
    May 2011
    Cerritos, Ca.
    MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
    7 times
    Been a while since I've been on this thread. I've been getting out to East fork with it opened up again. The digging was tough. But that's not a complaint!

I'm going to hike in my whites MXT the next time in the hopes of finding some iron pockets.

us
    Uncle Dave

Jul 2012
    Palm Desert, Ca
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro
    4 times
    Prospecting
    Raw Dog, Gold Paw, Jack, Fresno Mark, & Hoshnashi.....
    Sorry....I actually had to work a little.
    I'm just bringing it to your attention....that we're going to have a problem coming up with the San Gabriel River. All from an article in the LA Times. You've got to read it....and understand that we're going to be hassled prospecting in the river. Here is the link to the article......Please read it.
    Overuse threatens East Fork of the San Gabriel River - Los Angeles Times
    I know you'll be upset.....and it won't do any good to complain or whine about the fact that they are going to start "citing" us. Yes.......we do need to do something about it. We know the real problem is the mass of people (1000's every day on a weekend) that "trash" our lovely river. And we also know that the prospector doesn't trash the river.....yes we've made small dam's, as miner's have done for a 100 years.....and then every Winter, Mother Nature wipe's them out. That is not the issue. I think that someone called the LA Times, and gave them the story to write about the "TRASHED" river/park area. Its location is too close to millions of people, and with that comes the good and bad. Parks are free to use by everyone....and the "lower income" masses use them the most. As we've all seen. Now its a matter of what to do? I have a feeling that if there was a charge to enter the park.....that a lot of people would not enter. Even if it was only $5. Would'nt it be stupid if the USFS closed off the river to all use?
    I don't know where this is going to go.....but I know its not going to be good.
    There is one thing in our favor. THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A BUDGET....AND THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH MANPOWER. I'am going to the river on the weekdays (to avoid the masses). Plus.....I haven't seen a USFS ranger during the midweek, as I'm sure they are UNDER-STAFFED.
    AND THATS A GOOD THING.
    DavidClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2543.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	995.3 KB 
ID:	683043

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1966 times

Cry

Quote Originally Posted by David Buehn View Post
    I'm just bringing it to your attention....that we're going to have a problem coming up with the San Gabriel River. All from an article in the LA Times. You've got to read it....and understand that we're going to be hassled prospecting in the river. Here is the link to the article......Please read it.
    I know you'll be upset.....and it won't do any good to complain or whine about the fact that they are going to start "citing" us. Yes.......we do need to do something about it. We know the real problem is the mass of people (1000's every day on a weekend) that "trash" our lovely river. And we also know that the prospector doesn't trash the river.....yes we've made small dam's, as miner's have done for a 100 years.....and then every Winter, Mother Nature wipe's them out. That is not the issue. I think that someone called the LA Times, and gave them the story to write about the "TRASHED" river/park area. Its location is too close to millions of people, and with that comes the good and bad. Parks are free to use by everyone....and the "lower income" masses use them the most. As we've all seen. Now its a matter of what to do? I have a feeling that if there was a charge to enter the park.....that a lot of people would not enter. Even if it was only $5. Would'nt it be stupid if the USFS closed off the river to all use?
    There is one thing in our favor. THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A BUDGET....AND THEY DON'T HAVE MUCH MANPOWER. I'am going to the river on the weekdays (to avoid the masses). Plus.....I haven't seen a USFS ranger during the midweek, as I'm sure they are UNDER-STAFFED.
    AND THATS A GOOD THING.

I can see it now.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roadclosed.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	522.1 KB 
ID:	683060Name:  images.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  6.8 KB
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Oct 02, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

us
    May 2011
    Cerritos, Ca.
    MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
    7 times
    Yes this is indeed foreboding news. Sadly, as always the prospectors are getting lumped together with the misusers of the river.
    Last edited by Hoshnasi; Oct 03, 2012 at 01:18 AM.

us
    Sep 2012
    Santa Clarita
    Garrett AT Pro
    63 times
    That's bad news indeed. I only got to go the EF a handfull of times this season. Although I've only been prospecting a little over a year now, EF seems to go through these idle threat cycles fairly often. I hope this is just another and we can go back to business as usual. It would be a major downer to see that we lose such a great spot due to the incompetence of others.

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdog

The name of the game is moving a lot of dirt. There's no such thing as luck...Nice pieces

I try to look for where the gold is chunkiest. Much of the river is very fine. More of the chunkier stuff is in the banks. Still, I try to take advantage of the low river during warmer months. People tend to cave in the banks near the waterline, which messes everything up.

Good luck to you...

Rawdog
    When are you guys going to east fork again? It kinda sucks going out alone every time. If u don't mind me hangin, I have some good equip, 151 dry washer, high banker, detector,, ect, an of course, a good set of arms that like to move a lot of material! Lol.

Where is a good place to put a shovel at east fork? Do u guys hump a lot there to get to a good spot? Thanks.

Scott

us
    Jimbo

Oct 2012
    Westminster, CA
    Bounty Hunter...
    Prospecting
    Hey Scott,

I'm up in East Fork at least twice a week. I am always looking for people to dig with and hopefully find more color. I got all my own equipment as well. If you ever down to kick back for the day and move as much dirt as possible, PM me and I'll shoot you my number. I'll be up there tomorrow morning (Thurs, 10/03/12) and (Sun 10/06/12). Let me know.

Jimbo

us
    Uncle Dave

Jul 2012
    Palm Desert, Ca
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro
    4 times
    Prospecting
    Scott & Jimbo......I hope ya'all have luck at the EF. I'll be heading there next Wednesday. I just sluice about 200 yards down from the CC bridge....on the West side of the river. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1786.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	683466
    Here is two days work two weeks ago....by Fresno Mark and I.....working Raw Dog & Gold Paw's swimmin'hole. The "dog-bone" was found under a 300 lb boulder the boys moved. I'm the Old Guy....and let the youngster's do the heavy lifting.

us
    Uncle Dave

Jul 2012
    Palm Desert, Ca
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro
    4 times
    Prospecting
    I'd also heard that they will cite anyone using any motorized mining equipment. Have you seen anyone using dry-washers at EF? I'd like to bring mine down sometime. Hand-crank dry washer's are a pain....I know....I've seen them wear two young guys out in an hour.

Aug 2012
    2 times
    AND THATS A GOOD THING.

Uncle Dave,

I read this article last Sunday. I was upset to hear they had lumped in the "1000's" of prospectors in with the 90=% of people who don't prospect, and leave all their trash and diapers. Think about it...Do you think prospectors are bringing babies in diapers to prospect. I have a 5 year old boy that is just old enough to hit the river this season...

Prospectors aren't the problem. Go up there on a sunday and see for yourself...

There will be a vote in march 2013 to close off the east fork as a national park or state park to get it funding to clean up. It's pretty sad that there currently is only 1 trash person assigned to the area, as per that article...I've thanked her on several occasions...

Lets face it, the east fork isn't the richest gold area, but there is something mystic and serene about digging gold there. I can't explain it, but it feels good. The cool river on a hot day, or maybe the warm banks on a cold winter day...Theres nothing like it...

I'm confident the vote will pass. Kiss the EF goodbye to prospecting...I don't know where this will end, but lets face it, Californias become a green state for now...

Best to everyone and lets hit the desert....better gold out there anyway...

Rawdog

Aug 2012
    2 times
    Scott & Jimbo......I hope ya'all have luck at the EF. I'll be heading there next Wednesday. I just sluice about 200 yards down from the CC bridge....on the West side of the river. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1786.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	683466
    Here is two days work two weeks ago....by Fresno Mark and I.....working Raw Dog & Gold Paw's swimmin'hole. The "dog-bone" was found under a 300 lb boulder the boys moved. I'm the Old Guy....and let the youngster's do the heavy lifting.
    See you there next week uncle dave...trying to post some cleanouts for the people on here. Did a 3 hour run and got .2 Did a 1 hour run and got .3 Very important to monitor production for best results

Sep 2012
    Southern California
    Gold bug
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DSA186
    Hey Scott,

I'm up in East Fork at least twice a week. I am always looking for people to dig with and hopefully find more color. I got all my own equipment as well. If you ever down to kick back for the day and move as much dirt as possible, PM me and I'll shoot you my number. I'll be up there tomorrow morning (Thurs, 10/03/12) and (Sun 10/06/12). Let me know.

Jimbo
    Sounds great jimbo. We're u there yesterday? Saw a few guys prospecting, just above the bridge. I was below it.

Chris(not sure of his screen name) Came and meet me there and what a blast! Found my first lil nugget! Thanks for the tips Chris!

We were working top end of nugget row/alley and found some nice color.

Be going on next Monday most likely, btw. Anyone wanna roll??

Mar 2012
    Costa Mesa
    Gold Bug, Ace 250, Google Earth
    120 times
    Wow, this is sad, but expected. I knew something was going to happen after that fire. I was up there that day and it was absolutely packed. Trash everywhere, including a diaper where I was sluicing. Unfu$#^%believable. Unfortunately there is miner trash up there too. I always see broken buckets, screens and other miner trash, although nothing on the scale of non-miner trash. Get your gold, get your photos and get your video while you can.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links