San Franciscito Cyn, CA

Edson

Nov 20, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I live close by and have had some luck there but it's flour gold and not very much of it. If you want lead the creek bed and hill sides are full of bullets and fragments due to all the shooting ranges and target practice that used to go on up it the cyn. I have a few ounces of lead nuggets from there, the fragments get beat up and flat in the creek just like gold does. There's is a lot of iron trash too from when the Dam busted so MDing is a pain and almost impossible in some areas. Also you should know that all the watershed up here, San Fran., Bouquet, Santa Clara river bed is protected due to the Eco-terrorists and the Stickleback fish and can't be disturbed so no panning, sluicing, digging, or swimming in the creek. They even stopped stocking trout in Bouquet, now it's just a stream for the Sticklefish and we taxpayers can just look and take pictures of the creek. We used to ride our motorcycles in the Santa Clara riverbed but now thanks to the tree huggers we can't even pick up a rock in the creek. What we do is collect material in the benches and process at home. It's a pain but at least we're having some fun. You can get material from the creek too but you have to be fast and stealth like.

Be safe out there.
Edson

OP
OP
Lyfeguard

Lyfeguard

Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about up near Frazier Park and Los Padres National Forest?

Edson

Nov 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of load mines up at Frazier that feeds Piru creek but again the Eco-terrorist have shut the creek down due to some frog. They stopped stocking trout there too. I have sluiced in the creek but didn't get much, a few tiny flakes. I was there one time for a couple of hrs. and had packed up the truck and the ranger showed up, he was checking for parking passes and didn't see my stuff. I asked him about prospecting and he said nothing can be done in the creek and watershed but you could metal detect and work dry in the hills.
I don't know much about the Padres. From what I have read there's a few spots that have gold but not very many.

Edson

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i dont know about state parks but for federal parks you can get a "Golden age passport" if 62 and over for $10. and if your handicapped as i am, you can get it for free. these are good for 1 year.im thinking of getting one but i dont camp at these kinds of parks. i camp primitive ,but i was thinking along the lines of where i park to go into areas. i dont want to get cited and have to goto court to show them anything!kinda like a free hall pass or a get out of jail free card!

Edson

Nov 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau said:
i dont know about state parks but for federal parks you can get a "Golden age passport" if 62 and over for $10. and if your handicapped as i am, you can get it for free. these are good for 1 year.im thinking of getting one but i dont camp at these kinds of parks. i camp primitive ,but i was thinking along the lines of where i park to go into areas. i dont want to get cited and have to goto court to show them anything!kinda like a free hall pass or a get out of jail free card!
But you can't prospect in federal, national, or state parks so the passport will do me no good unless I just want to go and take pictures and act like a tourist. Here at Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres, and San Bernardino National Forests they have a day use fee of $5 or an annual pass for $30. They call it an "Adventure Pass", call it whatever, I call it a rip off since I already pay enough taxes and don't need another fee just to use my public lands... The funny thing is if you don't have a pass they give you a ticket that costs $5, so most of the time I just go without it and if they catch me I give them their $5, have only been ticketed once.

Later.
Edson

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know this is a very very old thread but I can't help myself from speaking on this subject and maybe some of the posters are still around.
I grew up in So cal and camped in the Bouquet canyon and Frazier park areas 45 yrs ago and know these areas very well.
I fished in bouquet canyon for stocked trout in the early 70s and camped in Frazier park in late 60s
The areas That I frequented in those days are now covered in gang graffiti and littered with trash by some very disrespectful people.
I almost feel like the Eco Nazis are doing us a favor to preserve the land by shutting down these areas to protect from this wave of rising misfits and
It very well may have been the plan from the very beginning "I don't think it's about the frog or fish".Alot of these different cultures don't share the same respect of the land as we do.
I'm pretty sure the politicians don't have anyone to blame but themselves.
But I do plan on going back this spring and detect for gold in these same areas.
Happy prospecting

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Grumpie. I'm a fellow former Kalifornian. Almost anything the Wackos do is NOT beneficial in any way. There are better ,more logical ways of dealing with gang bangers , illegals and other miscreants. You should check out Seden's posts on this site. He is a die hard So Kal prospector and is dialed in the regs and such. The way things are ,a guy could end up in trouble with the Feds, State and County just for being alive in the wrong spot. G/L& Merry Christmas.

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The areas That I frequented in those days are now covered in gang graffiti and littered with trash by some very disrespectful people.
I almost feel like the Eco Nazis are doing us a favor to preserve the land by shutting down these areas to protect from this wave of rising misfits and
It very well may have been the plan from the very beginning "I don't think it's about the frog or fish".Alot of these different cultures don't share the same respect of the land as we do.

Hey Grumpie, I have to disagree with you, I don't believe the Eco terrorists have any intention of dealing with the problems you state nor do the liberal laws passed to keep us law abiding citizens out keep the acts you state from happening. In fact I believe it is worse than it would be if we law abiding citizens were there mining and expressing our dislike for people to paint graffiti and litter our lands.

Just saying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread