New here and wondering...

forhorsmn

Feb 7, 2012
Gainesville, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the title says, I'm new to this forum. Been interested in panning and metal detecting for years just never got into it. I'm a big fisherman and usually go to the Red River in North Texas, about an hour north of Dallas. I was wondering if it would be worth taking a pan with me the next time I go out just to see what might be there. Has anyone heard about anything being found in that area?

Upvote 0

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Welcome aboard Hand. There is gold in the Arkansas and I am sure there is fine gold in the Red. You will be doing it strickly for the sake of prospecting, as you will never pan at a profit in that location. It is not always about the profit to many of us. Best of luck to you, maybe one of the local boys will contact you with better info. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
F

forhorsmn

Feb 7, 2012
Gainesville, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
You will be doing it strickly for the sake of prospecting, as you will never pan at a profit in that location.
That's okay :) Just thought it would be something cool to teach the young ones, and maybe they could find a little something LOL

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Absolutly nothing wrong with that. There are many of us that enjoy the hunt, just as much as the catch. :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
Absolutly nothing wrong with that. There are many of us that enjoy the hunt, just as much as the catch. :thumbsup:

There you go, talking about me again Gray Cloud :tongue3:

forhorsmn,
If you want to be a gold prospector then take your pan and shovel whenever you are around creeks, steams, and rivers. :icon_thumleft:
The practice will serve you well as the more you do it the better you get.

Most beginners have trouble keeping the pan in the water while panning. They also tend to take the pan out of the water and want to look for the gold way before they have panned down to the heavies.

Go to youtube and watch several gold panning videos. That is a good way to start.

goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other
It never hurts to carry a pan with you. Through experience with a lot of kids....they (most ) really enjoy panning! Gem stones can also be found in the pans and kids like finding those too !

Goldenlady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread