Should the pan be "scratched" with sandpaper before use?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should the pan be "scratched" with sandpaper before use?

I'm new to panning and just bought the standard Garrett gold panning kit ($30, two pans, classifier, snuffer bottle, etc.). I've watched many videos on youtube and some of them talk about "prepping" the pan with 60 grit sandpaper so that it holds fine gold better. It makes sense to me. But then again, being a complete newbie I'd believe just about anything. So I thought I'd ask the real experts about whether this is a necessity or just an old wive's tale. Eventually, my pan will get scratched anyway due to all of the rocks acting like sandpaper. But I wanted to check first before I take my brand new pan and rough it up a bit.

Being able to catch really fine gold is going to be important since I'm in Ohio. Thanks!

Upvote 0

goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Should the pan be "scratched" with sandpaper before use?

With a new pan ( plastic) we make sure to wash it with a degreasing soap. As oil can be left on it after it's manufactured. If we're out in the field with a new pan we use river or stream bottom gravel to rough up the bottom. Haven't ever tried the sandpaper but I imagine it would work too.

Goldenlady

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks goldenlady. Any particular brand of soap you recommend? Are you talking about using something like go-Jo hand degreaser?

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi! MTS are you out to get rich on that there gold? :laughing9: :laughing9: Best of luck to you on your new adventure. :thumbsup:

goldenlady

Mar 5, 2008
colorado springs, co
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Strike
Primary Interest:
Other

mts said:
Thanks goldenlady. Any particular brand of soap you recommend? Are you talking about using something like go-Jo hand degreaser?

Not really, I just use the Ajax liquid dishwashing soap that I hand wash dishes with. Still do that sometimes. :)

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marchas45 said:
Hi! MTS are you out to get rich on that there gold? :laughing9: :laughing9: Best of luck to you on your new adventure. :thumbsup:

:) not looking to get rich. Just hoping to take the kids out panning this summer. We plan on hitting a gpaa meeting and I'd like to be able to pan without looking like too much of a greenhorn. :icon_thumleft:

I'll stick with playing the precious metals markets for getting rich (or going bust).

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldenlady said:
mts said:

Not really, I just use the Ajax liquid dishwashing soap that I hand wash dishes with. Still do that sometimes. :)

I see. Thanks for all of the help! :icon_thumleft:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

mts said:
NO! dont use go-jo hand degreaser!!! it has lanolin in it and will float fine gold out. and i wouldnt use any sandpaper either.hot soapy water with a dish detergetn thats not perfumed!

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

russau said:
mts said:
NO! dont use go-jo hand degreaser!!! it has lanolin in it and will float fine gold out. and i wouldnt use any sandpaper either.hot soapy water with a dish detergetn thats not perfumed!

Thanks. I ended up using regular dish detergent to clean the pan last night. I also already used some 120 grit sandpaper to lightly scratch the pan. Nothing too serious. Any reason why you don't recommend scratching the pan a little?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wouldn't scratch the pan, because then it wouldn't be good for cooking :thumbsup:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53 said:
I wouldn't scratch the pan, because then it wouldn't be good for cooking :thumbsup:

:laughing9: :laughing9: Good One. :laughing9: :laughing9:

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i use dishsoap and a rough scotchbrite pad, or use stream sand,gravel to rough it up some.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

For your fine gold I would definitely recommend sandpapering you new pans. You'll be happy you did.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

if you sand your new pan before removeing all of the mold release agent you will embed the mold release agent into the scratchs of the plastic and youll almost never get it out. use a scouring pad or Brillo pad at the most with soap and hot water.once those small scratchs are there, getting your small fines out of the will be a pain! i used river material,and yes itll also scratch the pan but in a different kind of scratch. but its yours so use what ever you want! this is just my opinion and everyone has one!

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

russau said:
if you sand your new pan before removeing all of the mold release agent you will embed the mold release agent into the scratchs of the plastic and youll almost never get it out. use a scouring pad or Brillo pad at the most with soap and hot water.once those small scratchs are there, getting your small fines out of the will be a pain! i used river material,and yes itll also scratch the pan but in a different kind of scratch. but its yours so use what ever you want! this is just my opinion and everyone has one!

I appreciate the opinion. That's why I asked. I didn't see overwhelming support for scratching the pan. Just the occasional mention. So I didn't know if it was just common knowledge or if it was a controversial subject. I appreciate all of the feedback. I've already scratched the pan. But I used fairly fine sandpaper. You can see the scratches. But there are no big gouges. I cleaned the pan before and after sanding it.

I'll just keep using it. If I find out that it doesn't work well I'll just spend the $10 to get a new one. No big deal. In fact, it may be better to have one scratched and one not just so that I can use whatever seems to work best in the given situation.

Thanks again!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I washed mine with Dawn detergent and I used 1000 grit wet and dry sand paper, (wet of course), just enough to get the shine off and give it a VERY MILD scuff look. I do it in a little circular motions so my scuffing can be overlapping in all directions. I did all my pans that way and I never had any issues. I too am a little newbe, (about a year), at prospecting and panning.

I am sure everyone has different methods of scuffing a pan. I did do one with sand by the river and of course I had too much pressure with my hand and I have a few little gouges from the different size sands I put in 1 pan but nothing major to prevent gold from being found in it! After that, I decided I like my wet and dry sand paper!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

MTS dont get rid of that pan! after using it for sometime with the gravels/sand, it will smooth them scratchs out. even just using the rivergravelsand sand it will create small scratchs in the bottoms to an extent. youll be fine. but id use this pan a lot on just gravel/sand before id try to use it to save fine gold. then it should be just fine! good luck!

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

if you need ajax my grand father own a business DMC Supplies we have a site online and the business number is 8564554090 we can sell it in a case tooo we sell gloves of awsome quality to good to ok we are here to help if your interested

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Use AJAX scouring powder..... or TSP Trisodium Phosphate to remove the oils.... But be careful it can burn ya.

captain_mike

Aug 20, 2012
Dogtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX, Whites Goldmaster GMX, Whites TDI SL, Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab GP3500, Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to very lightly sand it with 400-600 wet or dry, and then run it through the dishwasher without heat. It takes out every bit of oil & mold release agent, and the very fine scuffing helps save the finest of gold. And since its a new pan, my better half doesn't complain about using the dishwasher. It's amazing how it works

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread