Would this area be a good place to start?

cnyle

Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I'm new here, but I have been a frequent reader for awhile. I have read the many posts about finding gold in Kentucky and its got me to thinking. I used to hunt arrow heads alot growing up and there was one area around the Ohio river where I would find alot of smooth round stones. Not being a geologist, I believe them to be of a granite type material. I know rocks of this type are not from this region. Back to the part of finding gold in Ky. It seems that most agree that if any gold were to be found it would be from glaciers, right? And if so, would the stones that I mentioned be from glaciers also? I'm planning on going back home in a few weeks, and if I can get the wife to agree to a couple of 5 gal. buckets of dirt to come back with me, I would like to pan it out, if just for the sake of trying something new, and spending time with my son. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cnyle,
I'm not familiar with the rock formations in Ky but if those rocks are not normal for the area then I would say it is possible that the glaciers brought them down from the north along with some gold. Granite isn't the only rock gold is found in however. Where I'm from gold is in about four different rock formations that I couldn't even tell you what they are called but can identify most of them. I have heard that gold has been found along the Ohio so it can't hurt to give it a try. The worst that happens is you find no gold but get quality time with your son and that is never bad.

Good luck!

B H Prospector

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Gold gets found in the ohio river and tributaries , but you never know until you try. The stones you are talking about arent necessarily glacial , but they could be. Look for green and red colored rocks , the kind you usually see swirls of other colors mixed in them , those I think are not native to the area. Also quartz and other gemstones , they are usually found in glacial debris. If you are seeing the types of stones not normally found around the area then its possible they were left by glaciers. Rocks like granite are actually native to the area and can be rounded or smooth from spending a long time in the water.

OP
OP
C

cnyle

Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Rocks like granite are actually native to the area and can be rounded or smooth from spending a long time in the water. " Well there goes my glory hole hehe. I will still give it a try. I read somewhere else here about the GPAA having a claim in the Lucasville area. My mother in law lives very close to the Scioto, would you know where their claim is at? Thanks for the replies.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but the GPAA mining guide does not show any claims in In or Ky. They do say that gold is found in Morgan-Monroe State Forest and Jellystone Creek in Henry County and Yellowwood State Forest. Phone #s are 765-342-4026 for Morgan and 765-737-6585 to get informantion. There may be a fee or permits required.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Phooey on gpaa this time, go check out midwest prospector.com to get info and definitely encouragement!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread