Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a member with our GPAA club who did that. He had a detector and he set the discrimination on it and found some fine gold and a few little pickers in with a boat load of black sands all in certain areas of the river. Not really a boat load, but a good bit.

I tried that once with my detector but there was so much black sands and hematite that for me it was impossible, unless I dig all the black sands. I also had a little hard time discriminating my detector as it is new to me, so I just went back to digging and panning the old fashion way.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: ABSOLUTELY!!!!! When the detector acts up,screams,squeals and clicks your there. You have overloaded the capacity for the ground balance abilities of your unit and good to go. This is how you use el cheapo units to find paystreaks. Might not be any good at locating nuggets but nugget territory LL YES!! Even old school TR units excel at this particuliar endeauver :headbang: I always recommend using a sluicebox,shovel and bucket to recover MUCH more than a pan man as the more ya move,the more you take home. Simply drag your foot,drop poker chips whatever to outline the high density area and get'r'done. No such thing as a bad detector,just non thinkn' owners-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :thumbsup:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Hunter,
As hoser has stated it works. One can also use wooden sticks/stakes even with a plastic/cloth flag on then poked into the river/creek bed to locate the black sand deposit. On YouTube there is a video on this though I can not recall the title but the fellow has a large series of videos so you may run across it if you have the time.....63bkpkr

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'M ALL IN ON THIS ONE... I HAVE AN OLD SCHOOL BFO (BEAT FREQUENCY OSCILATOR)
DETECTOR. I USE IT ANY TIME THAT I WORK DRY BEDROCK, OR WITH SMALL AMOUNT OF WATER RUNNING.
IT WORKS BETTER ON THE DRY. HERE IN ARKANSAS YOU DO WELL TO FIND ANY
GOLD, AS GOLD HERE IS PLACER AND VERY FINE.
THE DETECTOR HAS ADJUSTMENT FROM METAL TO MINERAL AND I SET IT JUST OFF CENTER
ON THE SIDE OF MINERAL. IF THERE IS A SMALL COLLECTION ANY MINERAL IT WILL MAKE
A LOW GROWEL.
IT WORKS FOR ME.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
MIKEL

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BFO :tongue3: wow now thats indeed OLD as the hills. I made my first bfo from a kit I bought from TandyCraft prosuced by Heathkit. Made a bloody fortune back in 60 with that in virgin beaches in Redondo,torrance and hermosa. Beaches were paved with gold/silver/casha in dayz of old--tons a au 2 u 2-John

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEP, JOHN IT IS OLD. THE INSTRUCTIONS, FOR THIS ONE, ARE CARVED IN STONE.
IT REALLY DOES A GOOD JOB, IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT. I STILL NEED TO FIND A LITTLE MORE WITH IT, SO I CAN CALL IT PAID FOR.
MAYBE I NEED TO GO FIND A GOOD BEACH. THOSE TINY LITTLE SPECKS OF ORO ARE HARD TO
COME BY, BUT THEY ARE OUT THERE..... HIDING.

HAPPY HUNTING AND GOD BLESS.
:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use my detector that way when i pan. Sometimes it helps find crevices too because black sand, or lead gets trapped in them along with the gold.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the mxt from white's , you can use that for finding the pay streak it says right in the manual...

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT will find your gold no problem, the whole key is knowing where to look. Get up on the banks for older deposits these are your pay streaks from long ago. NOt all the gold is in the river.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread