Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: panning in new england

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2012
    Conn.
    2 times
    Prospecting

panning in new england

hello all , I am looking to plan our first prospecting trip with the family and we are unsure about which has better odds of finding gold Vermont or New Hampshire ?? there both about the same distance from my house I just really want the kids to find a picker that would be real fun for them, we do pan in CT but seem to find very fine flour gold or a spec no pickers as of yet. we've been doing this a year now and love it so if anyone has any ideas or sugestions they are most welcome.
    Thanks John

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    17 times

Re: panning in new england

It's easy to find decent sized gold in the Baker River in Warren, NH. There is a nice public area on Route 118 just east of the village of Warren. It is outside the White Mountain National Forest so you don't have the 3 foot limit of sluice length. Also, the Wild Ammonoosuc River in Woodsville, NH along Route 112 has a good public area and decent sized gold. The water is both cold and fast running in both of these streams right now. By early May we should see the majority of meltwater gone and the stream velocity settling down for the summer.

us
    Feb 2012
    Conn.
    2 times
    Prospecting

Re: panning in new england

that's great Thank You, I will have to check that out Im looking forward to a different type of vacation
    Thank You
    John

us
    Apr 2010
    Vermont
    4 times
    Ctjon
    This may be a little late but. I live in VT. Whenever you find info about VT prospecting the two places that are always mentioned are Plymouth 5 Corners and the Boy Scout Camp in Plymouth or Tyson area. We live only 13 miles from either of these areas and I prefer going to the Wild Ammonoosuc River In Bath NH (we stayed at the Twin River Campground) or the Swift River in ME . There are many places to go where there is better gold, but most productive prospectors don't want to tell us. It always helps to talk to the local population especially if your on the river. I have found you may have to start the conversation or nothing will be said.
    Wayne
    Last edited by stilllookin; Apr 03, 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Two Wayne's at end

us
    Mar 2012
    Southern VT
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Gold in VT? We ain't got gold. We do have plenty of flatland'ahs tho. Be sure to take some home with you!

Seriously, it's pretty scarce here. NH/ME border

us
    Apr 2010
    Vermont
    4 times
    Forester.,
    I tried to take a picture to show everyone how much gold I have found in VT over the last 3 years. I tried several shots and the gold wouldn't show in the picture. Agreed! Very little to be found. Thats why I keep spending money, building better mouse traps, to find the stuff that eludes me.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    51 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    Quote Originally Posted by placertogo View Post
    It's easy to find decent sized gold in the Baker River in Warren, NH. There is a nice public area on Route 118 just east of the village of Warren. It is outside the White Mountain National Forest so you don't have the 3 foot limit of sluice length. Also, the Wild Ammonoosuc River in Woodsville, NH along Route 112 has a good public area and decent sized gold. The water is both cold and fast running in both of these streams right now. By early May we should see the majority of meltwater gone and the stream velocity settling down for the summer.
    placertogo
    the public access area on the Baker River, is it marked or just a wide place on the side of the road? I was looking on google maps and just past Batchelder Brook Rd heading away from Warren I see a wide spot with a car in it. Is that the public access?
    My wife has expressed interest in trying panning so I told her we would drive the 3 hours to the Baker River and try panning.
    Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59

"Free advice is seldom cheap"

Best find, 2 rolls of Walking Liberty Halves in bunch of 32 CWR

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    17 times
    There is about a 100 yard long gravel parking on the right side of Route 118 as you are heading west toward the village of Warren. There are a couple of signs there about no overnight camping and no littering. Plenty of bedrock in that area of the Baker River.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    51 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    Quote Originally Posted by placertogo View Post
    There is about a 100 yard long gravel parking on the right side of Route 118 as you are heading west toward the village of Warren. There are a couple of signs there about no overnight camping and no littering. Plenty of bedrock in that area of the Baker River.
    Thank you. I have never gone panning and figured to try it this Friday. May bring a couple buckets along to bring some dirt back.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    51 times
    placertogo
    I looked up the regs for NH. That area is part of the Benton State Forest, so while collecting minerals is allowed in the National Forest, the rules I found below seem to say you cannot collect any mineral using hand tools, I wonder would that include the pan, or are they talking shovels? inother words would the pan be a hand tool so you could only scoop dirt with your hands or can you use a trowel?

Have you ever worked that area along Rt 118?

Have you ever seen anyone checking on people panning there? I will wear my "Disabled American Veteran" hat and hope that helps.

Res 7301.21 Mineral Collecting.
    (a) Mineral exploration and collecting using mechanized equipment or hand tools shall not be permitted on DRED properties, unless permission has been granted by special use permit pursuant to Res 7306.
    (b) Mineral exploration and collecting shall not be permitted at geologic sites, natural preserves, historic sites, or at elevations above tree line.

us
    Big Mike

Aug 2012
    Easthampton, MA
    White's MXT
    Prospecting
    Hey Guys,
    A new GPAA chapter just formed in Western Mass. It is in Greenfield. Started by Tim English.
    Meetings are the 3rd sunday of the month at 3:30. We meet at the Masonic lodge on Munson Rd.
    All are welcome. We are a newly formed group that likes to detect and prospect.

We have a small group going out on Labor day. We are headed up to Couch Brook. anyone interested- post here. or e-mail me. sir.oswald@charter.net

Big MIke

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    51 times
    I am interesting in joining your group, have been thinking about joining the GPAA and this may get me to do it.

The only downside is Greenfield is 2 1/2 hours from here each way a bit of a hike.

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    17 times
    The area I'm talking about is neither in Benton State Forest nor in the White Mountain National Forest. As you head southwest on Route 118 from Woodstock to Warren, the White Mountain National Forest ends about a mile before you get to the panning area on the Baker River.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    51 times
    Is it private property?

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    51 times
    I am planning to hit it tomorrow

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors