Help I think I found gold but I am to new to this....

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to my brother I have spent almost a year metal detecting and have had a complete blast with all of our hunts together. He has been banging on my head to join this forum and has had nothing but great things to say about treasurenet so here I am.

Recently 5 weeks ago my wife and I relocated from the Virginia Beach, Virginia to Sun City, California and it has been in experience to say the least.

I have been trying to learn about places to go and ended up in the San Bernardino National Forest talking to a ranger and learning about the laws and places I can go hunt. This is when I learned more about GOLD PANNING and just how much fun it can be.

I just joined GPA and I went to a claim that is close to where I live and thought this will be easy, dug up some dirt and started classifying it.

Holy %$#$ I think I see gold in my pan, well I was wrong so I thought. I even tested some and yep it’s gold. But the little nuggets are very dull looking not the shiny butter colored I was told they should be.

Then I also see 100’s or more tiny flakes in my pan. There is some black sand but not like I have seen on some videos.
Fool’s gold and how to tell the difference?

I have been told things like real gold color will not change when you move from side to side that fool’s gold will have color variations, well on tiny flakes and specs the colors are hard to tell for me somewhat, hell it all looks like gold, lol….

Also real gold will not float that it will stay on the bottom, ok I have seen the different flakes float to the top those are is easy to spot, but what about all those tiny specs on the bottom. Hey if its real gold specs there I want them. The way I see it at the end of the month it all adds up.

If I do have real gold how can I clean it up better and how and where can I sell it?

I am completely new to all this and I am really looking for any kind of help I can get.

Also maybe I am not testing my gold right but here is a pic of a couple flakes with the 22k acid.
2012-04-11_10-57-49_652.jpg

Also here is short video of whats in my pan, this is after using my sucker bottle 5-6 times, as you can see there is some sand with it as well. Still learning how to separate the sand from the gold....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Lala

Aug 24, 2015
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
My 6th sense. No seriously. I just use my intuition.
My dad has the metal detector. No clue what brand it is. You think he's gonna let me play around with it? NOPE.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Ashman.... the rock looks like pumice, maybe?

Yep definitely looks like pumice. Take it from me. I love a good pedicure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread