Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Buying Paydirt or Concentrates: Why you Shouldn't..

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    627 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Give me a holler if you do Harleyman. One of the GPAA claims is next to one of mine. I'm curious was it the Husker that suposedly is no longer a GPAA claim. That is still a claim. It is a private claim leased to the GPAA. Anyway give a yell if your headed up here.

Good Luck!!

B H Prospector

Jun 2012
    Bird shot is OK for basic panning, but is much too uniform and doesn't simulate the variability in size and texture of actual gold. Also, the density is different.

I like to save off samples from various claims to experiment with different classification and recovery methods. It is an interesting challenge to work with the abundant flour gold that is available in most of the Colorado river claims.

It's difficult to simulate the actual mix from a claim, sand, gravel, clay, magnetite, hematite and other minerals.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3353 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhoha View Post
    Bird shot is OK for basic panning, but is much too uniform and doesn't simulate the variability in size and texture of actual gold. Also, the density is different.

I like to save off samples from various claims to experiment with different classification and recovery methods. It is an interesting challenge to work with the abundant flour gold that is available in most of the Colorado river claims.

It's difficult to simulate the actual mix from a claim, sand, gravel, clay, magnetite, hematite and other minerals.
    I agree completely. I still contend buying paydirt however, is no win venture for the buyer financially. If you are buying adventure great, but never think you will MAKE money on a bag of paydirt...

us
    Jun 2012
    Pennsylvania
    1 times
    Prospecting
    I am new to "panning", and living in Pennsylvania, it's difficult to start off finding a gold bearing area, let alone finding the good stuff. I buy paydirt mostly as an opportunity to practice before I invest in actually searching for a good place to dig. I've even dried the dirt out, and re-hid the flakes I found and panned them out again. After work its a good way to unwind, have a few beers and relax with the guarantee you'll find something. I don't buy any with the intent on getting rich... I'm not that naive. But nonetheless, it is a business they're in, and they're the ones making the money, not me. If you go into it with that mentality, you really can't lose...

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1651 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have bought, and am buying paydirt right now. Although I know places around Murphys, CA and Stanton, AZ that will ALWAYS give up color, I buy paydirt to spread my money around. It's a form of entertainment. Many guys and gals in PA... or Indiana, can't put together the price of a nice adventure in the gold belt. So a few bags of dirt becomes that adventure. Not the real thing, but a few hours..... If I banked all the money I spent on detectors, sluices, pans and such, I would be rich.... but not happy. Ok, I'll get down off the soapbox for now... and gather up about 2 dozen diggers for a "group family" picture! Update: My new friend Tokameel has found some coins with his new detector! WOOHOO!! Way to go, Mike! TTC
    hunter_46356 and midnightmoon like this.
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Jul 2010
    57 times
    I've bought pay dirt time to time and love to see the smiles when they are given along with a pan, vile, and sucker bottle to someone who's never done any prospecting before. Almost guarenteed instant gold fever and a new voice to our cause. I've always felt that I've got more than my moneys worth, so It's all in how you look at it. Doug.
    midnightmoon likes this.

Feb 2008
    226 times
    I maintain you can't learn to pan without gold in the pan. Running a lot of dirt without being rewarded is boring. I've ordered bags
    from Fairbanks and the thrill of seeing pickers of all shapes is great fun. And I get every speck without the dross to fill my bottles,
    using the sucker tubes. I have not ordered since the price went up over 1K.

Terry, I know I paid dearly but I don't get to go to Arizona like I used to. Plus the spot we used to work is closed off now.

Jun 2012
    Washington state
    Mine lab x terra 305
    33 times
    I got my son hooked on prospecting buying those bags. Have been out a few times sluicing and the first person in my family to want to go. You got it my son. Have not found much more than black sand and micro flakes. But we still have those nice flakes from the bags too keep us going.

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5958 times
    Quote Originally Posted by High Oct4ne View Post
    I am new to "panning", and living in Pennsylvania, it's difficult to start off finding a gold bearing area, let alone finding the good stuff. I buy paydirt mostly as an opportunity to practice before I invest in actually searching for a good place to dig. I've even dried the dirt out, and re-hid the flakes I found and panned them out again. After work its a good way to unwind, have a few beers and relax with the guarantee you'll find something. I don't buy any with the intent on getting rich... I'm not that naive. But nonetheless, it is a business they're in, and they're the ones making the money, not me. If you go into it with that mentality, you really can't lose...

us
    Nov 2010
    11 times
    Prospecting
    Here's how I look at it. God bless those who can find the gold and sell it in what ever container they choose to those who want to buy it. And god bless those who are happy buying it. as for me, it's much more the time element I value. Say gas for the trip 75.00, food, 50 bucks and time 2 days spent. The look on my four grand kids faces when they have flakes in thier pans, well, it's more than priceless. It's a feeling and I dont mean gold fever. In a sense, gold has very little to do with it. You all know where I am going, so as long as two parties are happy with thier individual arrangement, so be it. Thats what makes the world go around. Just remember, when dollars are passed from one hand to another, one party is making a profit. Do the math. Just my 2 cents.

us
    onfire

Nov 2004
    Wisconsin
    250 2500
    1321 times
    started buying bags when AU was worth 895 then for a 90.00 bag plus shipping almost always produced 65.00$ worth nice profit for the seller and a good investment for me at least the entertainment lately the bags produce 60.00$ worth, for 120.00$ always a chance to win a big one on the specials.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2649 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Man!!Somebodies gettin rich!!!I need to raise my prices!!!J/K,
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Jun 2012
    Washington state
    Mine lab x terra 305
    33 times
    Can you wait till Monday?. I place my order payday Friday..

us
    Jun 2012
    Pennsylvania
    1 times
    Prospecting
    Kuger just shipped me some of his concentrates... I hope this stuff lives up to the hype. I'll post what I find, but am sure it's gonna be worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TreasureNet

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2649 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by High Oct4ne View Post
    Kuger just shipped me some of his concentrates... I hope this stuff lives up to the hype. I'll post what I find, but am sure it's gonna be worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TreasureNet
    Just to be clear...you asked for an exact amount of gold,and some blacksand/concentrate to test a sluice.......I sent you once run dirt,and an exact amount of gold.I do not salt my dirt
    If you want cons bud,pm me

Waldo,yes I can wait
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors