Buying Paydirt or Concentrates: Why you Shouldnt..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buying Paydirt or Concentrates: Why you Shouldn't..

I get calls every week from folks looking to buy "Concentrates," of bagged "Paydirt" from us. Many companies and individuals sell concentrates, or dirt that has been dug from a placer gold claim then run through a drywasher or trommel to "Concentrate" the paydirt down to its heaviest properties. This is then bagged by the pound and sold for anywhere from $10-$250.00 depending on the "quality" of the paydirt.

I don't sell paydirt because it is a scam. I don't care what company from Alaska to Arizona, it is not worth your money. You will be better off simply buying gold flakes and cutting the dirt baggers right out of the equation. Think about it for just a second.. If the paydirt was THAT rich, why not just mine it yourself?

Bags and shipping, advertising and filling orders is expensive and time consuming, AND they are going to GIVE you gold to? No gold prospector in history is going to sell you gold for less than it cost them to get out of the ground. Gold amounts are carefully weighed into each bag. Sometimes nuggets are placed in bags going to "good" repeat customers, in order to make the buy even more bags..

If you want to practice gold panning, get some dirt, some fish tank gravel, a little sand and some Shotgun Birdshot. Mix it all up real good, and practice panning out the birdshot.
You have now been officially informed, go in peace.

Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for the info but... My girls 5 and 9 have had HOURS of fun learning and playing with paydirt. I certainly pay more for less entetainment IE: a movie with them. Plus we get to talk and do it together. I like to hunt with my kids, not for them. Some of us ars happy to pay for the entertainment. I know theres not more gold than the price of the whole deal, but we sure do have fun, and they have something tangeable to show for it at the end. Just my two cents.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in a sense if you look at all the factors involved in prospecting. Me I never bought any paydirt, thought about it, but hadn't. We have a little bit of gold here in Central Texas area in the Llano River and a few other areas, but not many, but going out prospecting even using normal equipment wont get enough gold to find, $10.00 worth of gold, (providing you are using a suction dredge), but it certainly isn't much to get rich off, or buy a candy bar of either.

So think about this. Lets say someone buys a$250 paydirt bag. I don't know how much gold could be in a bag that big, but I am sure it would be at least $50 worth or gold, or even $25, I am assuming.

How much gold have I found here in Texas and spent a whole 3 day weekend digging, prospecting, classifying, then panning? Maybe less than $0.02 worth! Out of a whole month going back for 3 weekends in a row, maybe $2.00 worth max! Now how much did I spend to make the trip for 1 weekend?
$80 for diesel for a round trip of almost 200 miles
$25 for the weekend outting fees at location, to camp there in a tent
$45 for food, drinks, and water for the weekend
$150 total cost for weekend trip just to find less than $0.50 in gold IF, I mean IF that!

Now think about me going back the next 2 weekends, so total the amount times 3, at $450.00 for all 3 weekends just to find $2.00 worth of gold, IF THAT!

Now would I rather spend $250 to find maybe $25-$50 worth of gold rather than $450 for less than $2.00 in gold? Certainly! But I am a skepticle when it comes to buying something I can't see and paydirt is just that, you don't know what is in hte bag until you pan it all out. You never know what is going to be in a bag. Those who spent money on paydirt can verify if it was worth it or not!

So IF you think about it, some people may not have places around them that has gold they could prospect, or it may be too far away to spend the money to go and prospect.

So these guy's selling legitimate paydirt KNOWS the expense of what it generally costs for someone to go prospecting here in the lower 48 for a weekend, especially if someone doesn't have any gold bearing land around them.

Yes, I like the outdoors and there is nothing better than digging your own dirt and finding garnets. But my belief in paydirt, it seems it would be worth it because one would spend more than that if they left the house to travel to prospect. Heck, send the money in, bag of dirt comes in the mail, pan it right there in the house and never have to leave!

Yeah it does take the fun out of prospecting, but at least you would get about an even break or close to it cost wise to find the same amount of gold or a little more than that in gold, as apposed if you left the house and panned all weekend finding nothing sometimes! I know last outing I went on I found 2 very little tiny specks and 3 pieces of garnet for a whole whopping weekend, I WAS NOT HAPPY! Oh, other people found some nice little pickers and flakes. So it varies everytime one goes out on what they may find!

Last edited:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess, and thats totally what it is. Those who choose to buy pay dirt are doing it for a different reasons. Many excusses are looking for reasons to justify doing just that. "Look how much it cost me to actually go prospect for my own gold, when I could just buy someone else dirt and maybe find more ( or less) than I would ifn I did all the work my self". It all boils down to what you really want from this whole experience. You want to find GOLD? You want to learn where to find the GOLD? You want the whole outdoors thing with family or friends? Or do you want the "one on one" experience of you against good old mother nature and the river, creek or dry desert or what ever and where ever you go looking for the yeller stuff. For me I live in a place where I was amazed gold even existed in small quantities. I was amazed I have found it. I was amazed that with a little learnin and some work I could find more of it. I know from talkin to some people that have been in the same area for years that they won't find what I have found cause they just do "this" and are satified with the very fine gold they do find. You get out what you put into it. You want to get excited panning dirt from out west in your NY apartment then thats up to you. Your not goning to get the whole experience. But ifn your good with that.... then thats up to you. When I can find gold that makes guys by me (that have been doing this much longer than I) sit up and take notice, I think I've learned alot more and experienced things you will never get from a baggie of someone else dirt. Take the guy in the NY apartment and stick him in the creek next to me, He might find less gold than outa that baggie for a days work and if he don't go home with a bigger smile on his face at the end of the day then he ain't got the FEVER and never will.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well opinions are like.....and yours stinks!!!I cant speak for anybody else but to lump all concentrates together with "your",theory is idiotic.
First off,I dont advertise,have anybody on staff,or put out any more $ than I would anyway.Nor do I know exactly how much gold is in the bags I sell....must be doing something right,have only had one complaint and I set him up and nailed him...he lied.
For some that cant go out the back door and get gold it is nice to be able to pan some gold.Will they get rich?Probably not.I will also say everybody that bought from me last year got more gold than what they payed for.So,before you try and save us all check your facts

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What it REALLY BOILS DOWN TO is EXACTLY as what I posted. Many may not have areas to pan for gold, but want to pan for gold, whether it is out in a river, creek, desert, or out of a bag. Fact is I am NOT experienced in buying paydirt, never have, I might some day just so I could add a little more gold to my collection whether it is dust or a few little pickers.

Hunter, I have a question for you, being you seem to be somewhat reluctant on someone buying paydirt. I KNOW A FEW PEOPLE IN MY GPAA GROUP who prospect, pan, dig, search for gold, but also the SAME FEW PEOPLE have BOUGHT and SPENT MONEY buying someone else's little pickers, small little nuggets, etc. So what purpose DID THEY BUY IT FOR, they went out and prospected before? So why DID THEY BUY the gold? It is the same senerio as one buying paydirt finding gold in it without going prospecting to find it.

Either way, ALL IT IS ABOUT is gold when one gets right down to it!

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harleyman and Kruger, I didn't mean anyone any harm with my comments or try to convince others that they are wrong in buying pay dirt. In fact I too have looked at the possibility and if I ever do it will probably be from Kruger since I've read positive comments and he's part of this community. In fact just getting into this this Feb/Mar. I may have to to get through the long cold IN. winter. I was simply saying that many seem to try to find excusses to justify buying it when they don't really need to. If thats the route they want to or have to go then so be it. I've always been an outdoorsman even being from NW Indiana. For myself I guess it's the whole package that I get into. I like the idea I may be experiencing the same feeling (fever) the 49ers did back when. Can you get that from a bag, You bet you can and I hope this takes them to the next level and they end up " up the creek" so to speak cause there's more to learn and experience. HarleyMan I have read and respect alot of post, and would vote for you for President ( I like your signature) besides I get the feeling you may be a brother Hoosier. I believe we all need to stick together in our "fever" what ever route we may be taking and would never intentionaly take a side that would divide the members of this group. Sorry if it sounded like I have. "United We Stand.....Divided We Fall"..... Not going there.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stand by my original post. As you said, everyone has an opinion. I stated mine without any personal comments about any individual. If your customers are happy, God Bless. Once again, and very plain, nobody gives gold away. Buying paydirt is a losing proposition for the buyer, and a pure racket for the seller.

Well opinions are like.....and yours stinks!!!I cant speak for anybody else but to lump all concentrates together with "your",theory is idiotic.
First off,I dont advertise,have anybody on staff,or put out any more $ than I would anyway.Nor do I know exactly how much gold is in the bags I sell....must be doing something right,have only had one complaint and I set him up and nailed him...he lied.
For some that cant go out the back door and get gold it is nice to be able to pan some gold.Will they get rich?Probably not.I will also say everybody that bought from me last year got more gold than what they payed for.So,before you try and save us all check your facts

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harleyman and Kruger, I didn't mean anyone any harm with my comments or try to convince others that they are wrong in buying pay dirt. In fact I too have looked at the possibility and if I ever do it will probably be from Kruger since I've read positive comments and he's part of this community. In fact just getting into this this Feb/Mar. I may have to to get through the long cold IN. winter. I was simply saying that many seem to try to find excusses to justify buying it when they don't really need to. If thats the route they want to or have to go then so be it. I've always been an outdoorsman even being from NW Indiana. For myself I guess it's the whole package that I get into. I like the idea I may be experiencing the same feeling (fever) the 49ers did back when. Can you get that from a bag, You bet you can and I hope this takes them to the next level and they end up " up the creek" so to speak cause there's more to learn and experience. HarleyMan I have read and respect alot of post, and would vote for you for President ( I like your signature) besides I get the feeling you may be a brother Hoosier. I believe we all need to stick together in our "fever" what ever route we may be taking and would never intentionaly take a side that would divide the members of this group. Sorry if it sounded like I have. "United We Stand.....Divided We Fall"..... Not going there.

No offence from you taken bud.Its just rediculous to paint with broad brush,especially when you(not you)dont know all the particulars with everybody.I am in a unique situation,where as I dont have,never have had gold fever,yet am a fifth generation miner that has done it his whole life.Have I got rich?No,have I found enough to make it worth while?Yes.Have I found enough to spread the joy a bit?YES!It actually helps me out,in that I stockpile everything from the box aside from any pickers in sight.Then as time allows during the winter I work through it(this is all done in production of course....post test prospect)With a full time job,two homes and a family(young kids)time isnt as common as it once was,so I take an average from a five gallon bucket of material and figure what a lb is running and the buyer gets that price(I dont know exactly what is in it)Have I got rich selling a little dirt?Hell no!!!Has it helped pay for fuel,and equipt breakdowns?YES!I guess what I am trying to say is not everybody does everything to get rich and is too full of themselves to share a little gold

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
I don't have all that much to spend on paydirt. Over the course of three years I have bought paydirt twice and hope to get some from Kuger this year. VT is not a place you can find much gold. It's difficult to find even a speck or two after an afternoon of panning. I don't expect to make any money on the paydirt I buy but it's just as exciting for me to see some flakes and pickers in my pan, wherever they come from. My wife and I stopped at Thermal City this year on our way back from Fl. It isn't much different than buying a bag of paydirt, you're not digging the gravel out of the ground. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience, It was fun and If we ever get near there we will do it again. I will keep looking here in VT for some better gold but I don't mind somebody making a buck off me if I can enjoy the experience. I'm sure if I could find gold every other time I went out ( and you can in some places, not in New England) I would not buy any paydirt either. Just my reasons.

Last edited:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Haven't had the opportunity to get out prospecting much while caring for a disabled person 24/7.
Had time to get some black sands from beach we could drive on and play with making mini sluices at home. No Joy.
Bag of Paydirt from a Gold show gave me someting I could do at home.
I found gold. Maybe 1/2 dwt but can see it easily in the fine arc in the pan.
Now I can test the different systems I built to see how they do.
I put it all back in the mix so my kids and grandkids can find it too.
Good way to learn to pan.

My wife died recently so now I can try to go to the source and find AU

Grey

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grey, God Bless and my sincere condolences. May your pan hold gold with what ever kind of dirt you wash. It's not always what you find that's valuable but the journey that takes you there.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no sweat Hunter. we all have opinions and sometimes many may take them the wrong way. I appreciate you would vote for me for President, but I don't think I would survive past the presidential debates even if I was to run! You know something misteriously happened to me like I had an accident of some sort?

I haven't bought any paydirt, but somewhere in the future I will buy some just to get more gold. The only places I panned for gold was here in Texas and of course when I met up with GoodyGuy in Indiana and we tested out his Gold Daddy! Man that thing is SWEEET! For the amount of time we dug, classified and ran through his system, (only a couple of hours), Of course he didn't want any of the concentrates and I told him there was gold in it but not much. So he insisted I take the concentrates with me when I leave. He primarily wanted to test out his equipment.

For the amount of gold that was in the concentrates, was almost the amount I found the first time here in Texas, (which by the way I spent a whole 3 day weekend), just digging and panning! No machines, no sluices, no highbankers, no nothing but shovels, buckets, and pans.

I will test to this, just like anyone else who has been prospecting. There is NOTHING LIKE GOING OUT AND DIGGING YOUR OWN DIRT, but also, equipment helps a great deal to move more material to find more gold!

But as I said, there are variations as to why some prospectors buy paydirt as well. I know if it came down to me buying paydirt, it will be because I wanted a little more gold. What I am doing though is I am putting my gold from different states in each seperate vile. So far I have 2 viles, 1 with Texas gold, 1 with Indiana gold!

So with that said, even if someone wanted dirt from different states that it would cost more to travel there, dig and pan, buying paydirt from different states can add gold from different areas if one was to do what I am doing by putting them in their own seperate vile.

I will get back to Indiana and drag GoodyGuy out again, (HEAR THAT BUDDY!), we had a good time! Of course I have other states on my list also!

Happy GOLDING!

Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Harleyman,
If you ever get to South Dakota I'll take you to my claims so you can get some Black Hills gold for your collection. As far as buying pay dirt... who cares! If that is what turns your crank so be it. Who are we to critisize someone who wants to buy or those who sell it. Prospecting is risky business and so is buying pay dirt . There are good sellers and bad just as there is good gold areas and bad.

Good luck!!

B H Prospector

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I appreciate it BH! I actually went there last year when I went to Sturgis. I went to one of the claims in the GPAA book. Of course 2 claims I couldn't find and the other was no longer a GPAA claim. I did however went to the national forest there, but there was so much slate in the creek bed I dug, adn dug, nad boy I wish I had brought my garden rake to at least get some of the slate moved out. I saw places where people dug on the banks and I tried some of those areas. Of course I didn't find anything but a whole day of digging. I was only to prospect for 1 day there.

I will make it a point to head back up there sometime maybe this year!

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me a holler if you do Harleyman. One of the GPAA claims is next to one of mine. I'm curious was it the Husker that suposedly is no longer a GPAA claim. That is still a claim. It is a private claim leased to the GPAA. Anyway give a yell if your headed up here.

Good Luck!!

B H Prospector

nowhoha

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bird shot is OK for basic panning, but is much too uniform and doesn't simulate the variability in size and texture of actual gold. Also, the density is different.

I like to save off samples from various claims to experiment with different classification and recovery methods. It is an interesting challenge to work with the abundant flour gold that is available in most of the Colorado river claims.

It's difficult to simulate the actual mix from a claim, sand, gravel, clay, magnetite, hematite and other minerals.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bird shot is OK for basic panning, but is much too uniform and doesn't simulate the variability in size and texture of actual gold. Also, the density is different.

I like to save off samples from various claims to experiment with different classification and recovery methods. It is an interesting challenge to work with the abundant flour gold that is available in most of the Colorado river claims.

It's difficult to simulate the actual mix from a claim, sand, gravel, clay, magnetite, hematite and other minerals.

I agree completely. I still contend buying paydirt however, is no win venture for the buyer financially. If you are buying adventure great, but never think you will MAKE money on a bag of paydirt...

High Oct4ne

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am new to "panning", and living in Pennsylvania, it's difficult to start off finding a gold bearing area, let alone finding the good stuff. I buy paydirt mostly as an opportunity to practice before I invest in actually searching for a good place to dig. I've even dried the dirt out, and re-hid the flakes I found and panned them out again. After work its a good way to unwind, have a few beers and relax with the guarantee you'll find something. I don't buy any with the intent on getting rich... I'm not that naive. But nonetheless, it is a business they're in, and they're the ones making the money, not me. If you go into it with that mentality, you really can't lose...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have bought, and am buying paydirt right now. Although I know places around Murphys, CA and Stanton, AZ that will ALWAYS give up color, I buy paydirt to spread my money around. It's a form of entertainment. Many guys and gals in PA... or Indiana, can't put together the price of a nice adventure in the gold belt. So a few bags of dirt becomes that adventure. Not the real thing, but a few hours..... If I banked all the money I spent on detectors, sluices, pans and such, I would be rich.... but not happy. Ok, I'll get down off the soapbox for now... and gather up about 2 dozen diggers for a "group family" picture! Update: My new friend Tokameel has found some coins with his new detector! WOOHOO!! Way to go, Mike! TTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread