Prospecting
Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What most new panners don't understand is that the difference between fool's gold and real placer gold is DRAMATIC. Once you've seen the real thing you
never guess again. Only in hard rock(quartz vein) specimens is it difficult to tell small specks of gold visually.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So true, but I still collect large chunks of fools gold because its just so darn neat looking (And I dont want to find it again later!) :D
I have a nice quartz rock about the size of a small apple that has one side covered in fine pyrite.

The only time I have gold float on me is when I have really fine stuff in my pan, I hate it when it does it. x_x

Good read, thanks for posting. :)

loby

Oct 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiiii ,

Whether you’re gold panning or shopping at a garage sale or digging through your attic, when you see gold flakes it’s an exciting moment, especially if they turn out to be real gold. But how can you be sure it’s gold and not mica or pyrite (also known as Fool’s Gold)? Here are some things you can try:
Take tweezers and bend one. Gold will bend, but pyrite and mica usually will not. If the flakes shatter or break, they aren’t gold. Gold will simply bead up. Note that if you don’t bend it far enough, mica might spring back since it does have SOME flexibility.
If you poke pyrite or mica flakes with a pin, they will usually break apart into even smaller flakes, whereas gold will dent and spread like soft lead.
Rub the flakes between your fingers. If they disintegrate, they aren’t gold.
If you’re gold panning, pyrite and mica are much lighter than gold and will usually float out in the panning process. Be more excited about gold flakes that stay at the bottom of the pan!
Gold flakes will still look like gold in the shade whereas pyrite and mica won’t.
If you scratch a larger piece of pyrite, it will produce a sulfur smell.
Gold is a metal, pyrite and mica are not, so see what your metal detector has to say! However, keep in mind that the detector won’t always detect flakes because they’re so small.
Gold shines, but pyrite and mica (due to their crystalline structure) tend to be more glittery in appearance. In the sunlight, gold nuggets or flakes will continue to shine as the specimen is turned to different angles and remain the same color. Pyrite and mica will glitter as the different sides of their crystal-like structure reflect light differently. They will also change color when tilted in a different direction due to its color coming from reflected light.

OP
OP
Oakstrails

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
loby said:
Hiiii ,

Whether you’re gold panning or shopping at a garage sale or digging through your attic, when you see gold flakes it’s an exciting moment, especially if they turn out to be real gold. But how can you be sure it’s gold and not mica or pyrite (also known as Fool’s Gold)? Here are some things you can try:
Take tweezers and bend one. Gold will bend, but pyrite and mica usually will not. If the flakes shatter or break, they aren’t gold. Gold will simply bead up. Note that if you don’t bend it far enough, mica might spring back since it does have SOME flexibility.
If you poke pyrite or mica flakes with a pin, they will usually break apart into even smaller flakes, whereas gold will dent and spread like soft lead.
Rub the flakes between your fingers. If they disintegrate, they aren’t gold.
If you’re gold panning, pyrite and mica are much lighter than gold and will usually float out in the panning process. Be more excited about gold flakes that stay at the bottom of the pan!
Gold flakes will still look like gold in the shade whereas pyrite and mica won’t.
If you scratch a larger piece of pyrite, it will produce a sulfur smell.
Gold is a metal, pyrite and mica are not, so see what your metal detector has to say! However, keep in mind that the detector won’t always detect flakes because they’re so small.
Gold shines, but pyrite and mica (due to their crystalline structure) tend to be more glittery in appearance. In the sunlight, gold nuggets or flakes will continue to shine as the specimen is turned to different angles and remain the same color. Pyrite and mica will glitter as the different sides of their crystal-like structure reflect light differently. They will also change color when tilted in a different direction due to its color coming from reflected light.

Good info thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread