MA/VT/NH Panning

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,

This is the first time I have posted on this website. I live in Western MA and am planning a trip during the last few days of September to Vermont to try my luck panning. I was going to try Buffalo Brook and Five Corners in the Bridgewater area. Does anybody know how far down you ordinarily have to dig to hit black sands in those areas? Any comments on whether you have to dig deep or just stay on the surface? I was thinking Irene probably deposited alot of flood gold on the surface. Does anybody know if some of the small brooks high up in the mts. north of Bridgewater contain gold? All I ever hear is Buffalo Brook and Five Corners. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As you probably could tell I am new to panning for gold.

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys this is a great thread, I just found this today. If you are at the green river drainage, that may be molybdenite, I have found multiple viens of molybdenite in this area, more of a blue, but can look silver or grey when its that small. There is great gold in the green river, mostly on the gravel banks tho.

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, maxwell and tatro brooks have an abundance of iridescent copper ore, black sand with yellow, red and blue aura. There was a copper mine at the top of the next brook to the east from there...the location can be seen on topo maps.

OP
OP
D

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary,

Thanks for the info, I never considered molybdenite. I am definitely going to google it. I am glad to hear someone else has had some success on the Green. I have prospected both Maxwell and Tatro brooks but I didn't find them worthwhile because of a lack of heavies. I really like prospecting in central Vermont. Extreme southern Vermont is ok, but all I found was a very little bit of flood gold. In a month or so I will be heading up to the Plymouth area of VT , I am chomping at the bit. The last time I was up that way I found a nice flake in an out-of-the-way place.

Welcome to the thread

E.MassAuMan

Nov 21, 2012
Marlborough, Mass
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The rock hopefully pictured in this post came from Maxwell Brook in Charlemont
What caught my eye and curiosity was the shiny metallic appearance it had, along with what appeared were garnets encrusted in it
I call it my Silver Chocolate Chip rock
Curiosity as to what the Metal was that this rock was made of led me to bring it to where I work where we have a Scanning Electron Microscope with a spectrometer

Well the rock is mostly iron but what appear to be garnets were mostly Cerium, monazite is the name of the mineral Cerium is a rare earth element. In Massachusetts???

Had to check to see if there was any low level radiation, there was none

Anyways the point is that this part of Massachusetts is part of the Hoosac Formation and has many many unique and different geologic features as opposed to other parts of southern New England
I suspect the Green River may be on the eastern
Reaches of the formation

Google Davis, Ma for a history of mining near
Charlemont

Attachments

• image-3644860326.jpg
    image-3644860326.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 110

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fascinating mineral specimen!

LostinBolton

Mar 28, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David, great to hear you found some color. I can't wait to get again as I have got my self stuck in some spring projects... Thinking of heading north in 2 weeks to Twin Rivers.

OP
OP
D

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LostinBolton,

The Wild Am is the place to be. Hopefully the water level will be down by then. I heard from some truckers that they got a lot of snow lately in northern Vermont and New Hampshire. I went by there last May on my way to the whites and the river had come down pretty well. It was very late in May as I recall.

I am going to keep on prospecting the Green River this year. Like you, I have a lot of projects that are taking up all my time, so prospecting is going to be a hit or miss proposition until late June.

Good luck at the Wild Am.

dvdt

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E.massAuman, that is very interesting, possibly worthwhile looking for the source pegmatite, as monazite is becoming a necessary mineral in electronics...aside from the gem possibilities.

Dvdt...I found a spot off the Green in ma. Looks like someone has been prospecting and semi 'dug in'. There is a makeshift shelter and everything. I have been curious about this brook in particular especially after looking at the surficial geology map. We should get out there, I work hard, but I still am a rookie. PS...the silvery grey stuff that floats I am thinking more and more moly. Moly has a little waxy/oily attribute, makes sense it dropped out so easily after jet dry. And pm me if ur heading to the Green.

roadtrip

Sep 18, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism V
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone know of areas to pan/sluice near Marlborough NH? I know there is a store there that sells metal detectors and gold prospecting supplies (Streeters), so I assume there is gold in the area. Anybody know exact locations I might be able to try? Thanks!

I asked at the store. They suggested VT. First choice was the Plymouth area. Second comment was the Wild AM in NH.

MadJack_ME

Apr 11, 2013
Maine, mostly
Detector(s) used
Original Gold Bug, Dahlke Dredges, LeTrap Sluice for clean-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are on facebook, check out New England Prospectors. I put a good write up there on sluices. Lots of great members there love to help out and several group digs around the region this summer!

E.MassAuMan

Nov 21, 2012
Marlborough, Mass
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
E.massAuman, that is very interesting, possibly worthwhile looking for the source pegmatite, as monazite is becoming a necessary mineral in electronics...aside from the gem possibilities.

Dvdt...I found a spot off the Green in ma. Looks like someone has been prospecting and semi 'dug in'. There is a makeshift shelter and everything. I have been curious about this brook in particular especially after looking at the surficial geology map. We should get out there, I work hard, but I still am a rookie. PS...the silvery grey stuff that floats I am thinking more and more moly. Moly has a little waxy/oily attribute, makes sense it dropped out so easily after jet dry. And pm me if ur heading to the Green.

Gary

I can tell you that I found that rock in Maxwell Brook in Charlemont, about 100 feet below the point where Tatro Brook Flows into it. Tatro drains out of the Davis Mine area, so who knows
what else is in there, I found massive gold flakes of Pyrite that day as well.
It helps that I have access to a Scanning Electron Microscope at work, have brought several specimens in with some surprising results, including a rock with a fair amount of Titanium that I found in
a local stream in Hudson, MA.

Anyways, if there are plans for a trip to the Green River count me in. I am a "beginner" as well and looking for new spots to check out.

Good luck

OP
OP
D

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering if anybody has prospected the third branch of the white river north of Randolph, VT. Any comments would be appreciated. I was planning on going brook trout fishing up there in a week or so, and was thinking about taking my pans. Alternately, I was planning on going prospecting and thinking about taking my fly rod. I can't decide which it is.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice! Wish I found gold that big around here!

OP
OP
D

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well; if anybody ever asks you if there is any gold in the White River, you can tell them that you know a gimp named Dave, who can hardly walk, but was able to find a couple of small flakes. Tell them he caught a couple of trout too.

OP
OP
D

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LostinBolton, I found the trout had attached themselves to the terminal end of my fly. Lucky for them I practice catch and release, so they never made it to any of my pans.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any one finding any gold in New Hampshire. Not seeing many post from the area. Been out several times. Trying to get use to my new 36" BGT 36 Prospecter. It make prospecting so much easier. Been on privite land in a non gold producing stream. Have found some flour gold there. And only two specks so far this year. Need to get down to bedrock. Water level is finely going down. Hoping to get too some better gold streams. Now with the better weather.

OP
OP
D

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi triple d,

Welcome to the thread. I personally like to prospect in Vermont. I have heard a lot of good things about the Wild Am and the Baker. You might try private messaging Grizzly Gremlin, he is the New Hampshire guru.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread