Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: MA/VT/NH Panning

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    51 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    VtGoldProspector,
    I have looked at your website and it looks really interesting. My wife's family lived in Vermont back in the 1800's (Canada -> NY -> VT -> NH (Claremont)) so while I am a flatlander, she has some non-flatlander in her LOL.
    I am interested in the gold map maker, while a hike from S/E Mass if I were coming up for a week it wouldn't be bad.

I am beginning to plan my trips for next year.
    Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59

"Free advice is seldom cheap"

Best find, 2 rolls of Walking Liberty Halves in bunch of 32 CWR

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Roadtrip,

I have never personally prospected in Baldwin Creek, but I am familiar with the area. I like to go trout fishing in the headwaters of the New Haven River which is right in the area. The last time I was up there I didnt even know there were colors in Vermont. However you can bet the next time i go up there I will check it out.

David

us
    Jan 2007
    Boston area
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdtharaldson View Post
    Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info on the sluices. I am going to look around and eventually get one for xmas. I am from the Springfield area and pan in the tribs of the Westfield River. This year I found four real small flakes of color just using shovels and my pan. I am hoping a sluice will improve my take. Truth be told I much rather prospect in Vermont. Its not that I have been more successfull there, its just that the potential is greater and i am just starting to get familiar with a few areas. The little success that I have had is due to panning in areas that contain some type of Greenstone. Best Luck----- David.
    I have a spot somewhere on the Westfield.
    Also have had about the same luck in Vermont and on the Westfield.

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    6 times
    Menotomymaps,
    Nice to hear from you. i dont often hear from people who pan the same drainages as I do. My only luck in the Westfield has been in tribs of the Westbranch. Colors for me have been very small and infrequent. I have tried the Eastbranch but no success. But the spot I was in probably wasnt the best choice. I just happened to be there with a group of friends. Eventually I am going to try the middle branch. If you dont mind me asking what branch do you pan? Best Luck.

David

us
    VTGoldProspector aka Corey

Jun 2012
    Eastern Long Island
    Google Earth, my hands and a pan!
    3 times
    Prospecting
    menotomymaps...

Have you heard of the MRDS? How about minecache? They might help.

Gold Map Maker -- Create your own gold map!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1291.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	689663
    Last edited by vtgoldprospector; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Sep 2012
    Whites Prism V Whites Quantum XT
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdtharaldson
    Roadtrip,

I have never personally prospected in Baldwin Creek, but I am familiar with the area. I like to go trout fishing in the headwaters of the New Haven River which is right in the area. The last time I was up there I didnt even know there were colors in Vermont. However you can bet the next time i go up there I will check it out.

David
    I've pulled a few trout out of the New Haven river myself. However, I usually catch and release, so it may have been the same one over and over. lol. If the weather isn't too bad next week, I may swing over to Baldwin Creek on my lunch break for some quick panning. I saw one spot with a lot of exposed bedrock on one side of the water.

us

Jun 2012
    Eastern Long Island
    3 times
    Prospecting
    fyi, there are over 20 different gold find records close to these 5 basin fingers.
    Click here for interactive google map

Name:	treasurenet sample 1.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	689827
    Last edited by vtgoldprospector; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: url edit

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    6 times
    Roadtrip,
    I to practice catch and release, havent kept a trout in many years. Do you fish the New Haven above or below Rocky Dale? It can be a fickle river, some years I am able to pull out trout after trout, some years I couldnt buy a hit. About four years ago I was fishing the headwaters and caught 15 brook trout in about an hour. That day they were in every pool. I went back a year or so later and didnt even get a rise to my fly. Do you live up that way? I know most people fish it farther down towards the flats for big rainbows, but I have always been a dedicated brook trout fisherman.

David

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    6 times
    vtgoldprospector aka Corey,

Earlier in this thread I somewhat detailed my trip to this specific area. I had so much fun panning and hiking around that I will be hard pressed to go to a different location in Vermont. I camped at Coolidge State Park and was surrounded by gold bearing streams. While I did not find alot of gold, i am convinced that there is a good amount of it in the area. My physical condition will not allow me to dig down to bedrock, but if I could I would have found more than what I did. Mind you, that I only spent about an hour doing very light digging and found colors. The real value came from the experience of being in a remote setting, not the colors found. For now I will have to be satisfied occasionally panning the barren streams of my native state of Massachusetts. My salvation is that I know that my annual trip to Jamaica State Park in Southern Vermont is only 7 short months away! Yeah I know, I said i wouldnt go anywhere besides Coolidge, but there are still a few foolish friends who dont pan, and wont drive more than 1.5 hours away. As an aside the area really got scoured by Irene and in some places looks like a moonscape. Alot of the mountain streams had to be rebuilt with excavators. Some of the streams like Whetstone brook defy description. Ecological disaster are the closest words I can think of.

Best Wishes,

David

us

Jun 2012
    Eastern Long Island
    3 times
    Prospecting

Jamaica State Park Photos

I have personally been to Jamaica State Park. I love the path that runs along the river! Closer to the dam upriver there is a side stream, Cobb Brook. There is so much garnet there it would make your head spin! Boulders the size of cars covered in dots. The cons from a little panning is red! The following photo is where that stream dumps into the river. Only around 200 ft up the brook you will see a few fist sized holes in the rock (on the left), that is where the middle two photos were taken. I really must go there again.

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	690709

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	690707
    polka-dotted bolders

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	690710
    Rock n' hole

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	690711
    Cobb Brook from the foot bridge

ps
    I didn't get anything in my test pan but I didn't have the time to find a proper location. After I got back and looked at the photos I realized that the last photo above may show a very good candidate for a test hole. I'll be sure to look closer at it when I go back next time.

Gold Map Maker -- The ultimate prospecting tool!

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    6 times
    Hey Corey,

Thanks for the pics. I made it down to the spot in your photo a few years ago, I couldn't move for a week after, but I made it down there. About a mile upstream there is a nice waterfall (Hamilton Falls) with alot of exposed bedrock. Cobb brook eminates from about the same place as Turkey Hill Brook which i am told has colors in it. It wouldn't surprize me if Cobb has colors in it as well. About 2 years ago during our yearly trip to Jamaica State Park my friend found a small flake in the West River. That was my introduction to panning and i have been hooked ever since. I eagerly look forward to going to JSP every year. I am hoping to try to access Cobb Brook via the switchbacks at Ball Mountain Dam this coming May. All that depends on how my back holds out though. As to the garnets, I remain perplexed. I never find colors where there is a high concentration of red garnet. I know they have a high specific gravity. It doesn't make sense to me. I dig down far enough to find black sands but never find colors. If you dont mind me asking what has been your experience with red garnet as it relates to the presence of gold?

us
    Jan 2007
    Boston area
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdtharaldson View Post
    Menotomymaps,
    Nice to hear from you. i dont often hear from people who pan the same drainages as I do. My only luck in the Westfield has been in tribs of the Westbranch. Colors for me have been very small and infrequent. I have tried the Eastbranch but no success. But the spot I was in probably wasnt the best choice. I just happened to be there with a group of friends. Eventually I am going to try the middle branch. If you dont mind me asking what branch do you pan? Best Luck.

David
    East.

us
    Jan 2007
    Boston area
    42 times
    Never head of MDRS or Minecache.
    What are they?
    Thanks

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    51 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    Quote Originally Posted by menotomymaps View Post
    Never head of MDRS or Minecache.
    What are they?
    Thanks
    DITTO
    Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59

"Free advice is seldom cheap"

Best find, 2 rolls of Walking Liberty Halves in bunch of 32 CWR

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    6 times
    It is MRDS. Which is the mineral resourses data system. Check it out, it is very informative.

David

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsors