Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree578Likes

Thread: MA/VT/NH Panning

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    175 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    To Anybody thats Interested,

I was up in a trib of the East Branch of the Westfield River around Cummington, Ma trying to locate a bit of color. I didn't have any luck finding any. Just alot of purple-black Garnet . Even the black sands were comparitively light. After an hour or two I decided to head up to Windsor for awhile. I found a stream with some greenstone in it and decided to make it my destination for my next panning trip later this month. Has anybody tried panning up in those areas?

us
    VTGoldProspector aka Corey

Jun 2012
    Eastern Long Island
    Google Earth, my hands and a pan!
    6 times
    Prospecting
    Just to help you out... Minecache is a subscription service that the USGS's MRDS (Mineral Resource Data System) will provide for free, which is where minecache gets their info from. On this page:

Select data by geographic area: United States (North America)

Select the state, then the Google Earth format (typically). On the next page either download the kml or the kmz (they are the same, one is only compressed). This will provide all pits and mines, past and present registered with the USGS in your Google Earth program.

Or, here is the whopper...

If you want only 1 type of commodity (like gold) in any particular state use this form:

Search the Mineral Resources Data System

Just specify the commodity and the state and it will provide a list as well as a Google Earth download of all sites with that commodity.

Or just use my library, it's all there and then some! (VT only)
    Gold Map Maker -- The ultimate gold prospecting tool!

It's free right now and I have more info then anyone!

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    175 times
    I just purchased a Mac Kirk Recon sluice. I called the factory and got thru the first time, talked to Angus himself. He seemed like a really decent guy, he took the time to answer all my questions and was very informative. The only down side is, it is a Christmas present and I probably wont get to use it untill next year, unless I put into practice some sort of deception. I am definately chomping at the bit.

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    175 times
    A couple weeks ago I went back to the Windsor area to try my luck at a different place. I was in the East branch of the Westfield. Unfotuneately I didn't find any colors. There seemed to be very little garnet but alot of sand in the area. I really could have used the sluice I ordered, but it hasn't arrived yet. I hear that there is a little color in the area but I haven't found any yet. Anybody else out there panning in Western MA?

Sep 2012
    CT
    4 times
    Prospecting
    Vt prospector....thanks for the links to usgs. Just started poking around them. There is a line of old mines that runs parallel to the west side of 'my' creek where I have property. I like how it links into google earth.

us
    VTGoldProspector aka Corey

Jun 2012
    Eastern Long Island
    Google Earth, my hands and a pan!
    6 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by penster View Post
    Vt prospector....thanks for the links to usgs. Just started poking around them. There is a line of old mines that runs parallel to the west side of 'my' creek where I have property. I like how it links into google earth.

Not a problem at all. Sounds like you are in the killington / Plymouth area. Here is a screen shot of that area out of The Gold Map Maker Library...

P.S. Gold Map Maker is free right now...

Enabled items:
    - MRDS gold mines
    - Gold history
    - River basin segment profiles
    - USGS survey data
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gmm_sample235.jpg 
Views:	1445 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	704921
    Gold Map Maker -- The ultimate gold prospecting tool!
    Last edited by vtgoldprospector; Nov 25, 2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Fix broken image

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    175 times
    To Whom it may Concern,

I just received my MacKirk sluice. A word of caution to all who intend upon ordering one for themselves. I ordered an AU trap sluice called the "recon" it looks like a great low water sluice. When you read the dimensions of the sluice on the company website be aware that the demensions are outside measurements. The website said the width was 9 inches across, however the narrowest riffle was 5 inches and they increased in width as you move down the sluice. Dont get me wrong I think the sluice will perform flawlessly, just be carefull that you dont order to small a sluice. I am very happy with the size of my sluice, it should be perfect for what I need it for-small streams. I will let you know how well it worked- next spring.

us
    Nov 2012
    Marlborough, Mass
    61 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdtharaldson View Post
    To Whom it may Concern,

I just received my MacKirk sluice. A word of caution to all who intend upon ordering one for themselves. I ordered an AU trap sluice called the "recon" it looks like a great low water sluice. When you read the dimensions of the sluice on the company website be aware that the demensions are outside measurements. The website said the width was 9 inches across, however the narrowest riffle was 5 inches and they increased in width as you move down the sluice. Dont get me wrong I think the sluice will perform flawlessly, just be carefull that you dont order to small a sluice. I am very happy with the size of my sluice, it should be perfect for what I need it for-small streams. I will let you know how well it worked- next spring.
    I too am in the market for a Sluice that is lightweight and better for small streams, Looked at MacKirk products as well as the Le trap out of Canada. Did you consider this sluice at all as it
    seems to be fairly well received/reviewed?
    Thanks

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    175 times
    EMassAUMan,
    I really liked the design of the LeTrap and feel its a great sluice. The problem is its length, which is over 36 inches. If your sluicing in New Hampshire your sluice has to be less than 36 inches. Do you do any prospecting in Western Mass or Vermont?

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    725 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    When I got my MacKirk I was surprised that it was so small. I just recently got a Bazooka to try up in the WMNF the prospector is normally 30 inches but Todd made me one that is 36 inches to meet the forest requirements.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2018 Totals: Halves: 200 40% 59 90%, Dimes: 33, Quarters: 46

2018 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 354/300

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 40, bags 3, CWR 4, loose 678 : Dimes boxes 4, bags 5, BWR 31, CWR 7 : Quarters boxes 0, bags 9, CWR 36
    46,738 halves searched 61,580 dimes searched 36,000 quarters searched

us
    Nov 2012
    Marlborough, Mass
    61 times
    Prospecting
    Since the area I live in has very little, if any, Gold , I find myself taking trips out to the Conn. River Valley/E Slope of the Berkshires in the Leyden/Bernardston area as well as Charlemont where a friend
    who comes along every now and them has a little summer place. Tatro/Maxwell Brooks in Charlemont look like they have potential. Also worked Mill Brook in Warwick once, but the gold has been
    elusive.
    Planning a trip for this weekend out to Keets Brook area. I will probably be getting a Sluice this winter, LeTrap will probably be replacing my Homemade Sluice which "seemingly" works but has
    some shortcomings.

I have found the information in this link to be invaluable:

The OMSG - Geology Resources and Geologic Maps and Data for Massachusetts

Lots of good Bedrock Topo Maps and read the Peter Glebe (sp??) article, quite interesting, particularly the Rt128 Gold that preseeds his quite comprehensive assessment of mineral deposits
    on a town by town basis throughout the state.

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    175 times
    E.MassAUMan,

I have heard good things about the brooks you mentioned in Charlemont, although I have never prospected there myself. My own personal opinion is i would rather travel the extra hour to go to Vermont. You can actually find brooks with color in them that haven't been over prospected. I am new to this game and haven't met with alot of success. However I have found some color in both mass and vermont. I feel that the chances of finding a good pay streak are much better in Vermont. I have recently been panning in the East branch of the Westfield around the Windsor area, without any success. I am still going to keep trying because the area has a golden feel about it. Good Luck

David

us
    David

Sep 2012
    Massachusetts
    175 times
    I finally got a chance to try out my new Mac Kirk sluice. I had been panning for the last year or so and decided to try out sluicing. While i am very happy with the results I was surprized just how hard it was to set up the sluice. I figured you just place it in the stream at the right height and your all set. I didnt know that an optimum position was so hard to achieve. I also figured that the positioning of the sluice was alot more forgiving. You definately have to dial it in for the existing circumstances. The effectiveness of the sluice really depends on exact positioning. A little off one way and there go your fines, a little off the other way and your sluice loads up. One thing is for sure - even a novice like me can expect to end up with alot more black sands, that hopefully contain gold, with a sluice than without one. I wish they would allow sluicing in public property in Vermont. I am hoping to get another warm day before the cold weather sets in for good. April seems so far away.

us
    Sniper

Aug 2012
    Redding
    Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
    1575 times
    Prospecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.
    Have you thought about a stand?
    Check out my Gold Sniping video's. http://www.youtube.com/CrainRacing

Head in the water, butt in the air.
    Now I know why ducks do it!
    Underwater Sniper n00b

us
    Nov 2012
    Marlborough, Mass
    61 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdtharaldson View Post
    I finally got a chance to try out my new Mac Kirk sluice. I had been panning for the last year or so and decided to try out sluicing. While i am very happy with the results I was surprized just how hard it was to set up the sluice. I figured you just place it in the stream at the right height and your all set. I didnt know that an optimum position was so hard to achieve. I also figured that the positioning of the sluice was alot more forgiving. You definately have to dial it in for the existing circumstances. The effectiveness of the sluice really depends on exact positioning. A little off one way and there go your fines, a little off the other way and your sluice loads up. One thing is for sure - even a novice like me can expect to end up with alot more black sands, that hopefully contain gold, with a sluice than without one. I wish they would allow sluicing in public property in Vermont. I am hoping to get another warm day before the cold weather sets in for good. April seems so far away.
    Glad you got to get out and try the sluice, did you stay In Ma. or go up to Vermont? Also, any Color in the Recon Sluice?
    Was out Keets Brook way on Sunday myself, weather was not as advertised, brought back a pail of processed "dirt", will pan out this weekend with fingers crossed.
    The streams out there were running pretty low, was that the problem you were having with the sluice positioning/angle?

Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links