Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
Like Tree556Likes

Thread: MA/VT/NH Panning

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2480 times
    Prospecting
    Years ago I told my wife I would take up golf if she would take up fly fishing. In retrospect it should have been then and it would now include prospecting. Side note: I hope I never have to take up golf. Fishing and prospecting are frustrating enough.
    Last edited by arizau; Apr 25, 2018 at 05:43 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer, Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper highbanker, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    9983 times
    Prospecting
    Given a choice between spending lots of time and money chasing a ball around in a park manicured by people vs. playing hide and seek games with Mother Nature to find gold, Iíll take Mother Nature every time!
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    Learn where to dig in Colorado on my website www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    657 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    David I feel your pain with the joints I had to stop prospecting and hiking, even walking around Brimfield as my knees are bone on bone and I am trying to get the docs to approve a double knee replacement, I can't stand more than a short while. I used to love to go to Newport and Beavertail and clamber on the rocks to take pictures, can't do that at this time.

I have actually bought some pay just to pan, somehow it seems more exciting than salting my own...
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2018 Totals: 148 40% 44 90%, Dimes 16, Quarters 45

2018 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 253/300

us
    Feb 2017
    Massachusetts
    45 times
    Prospecting
    Ben,
    Good luck with getting your knee replacements. I know how painful and debilitating messed up knees can be. It seems that they are the only joints in your body that you can't somewhat accommodate.

Keep the faith,
    David

us
    Feb 2017
    Massachusetts
    45 times
    Prospecting
    My wife and I decided it was time to take a well deserved vacation. As so often happens with us, we headed north to Vermont, almost by instinct. She shops and then shops some more, and I fish and then fish some more. Then we hike, usually next to a stream or river. I really like being amongst all those charged ions generated by water striking rock. Most people call them rapids.

We were in one of the well known gold producing areas, but just in a general sense, not in any of the well known productive streams. The hike that we undertook was surrounded by geology that I usually look for when searching for colors. That particular place will have to wait to be sampled though on some future return trip.

On the way home I stopped in on Broad Brook. I have been hearing that some lucky souls have been doing quite well there, albeit in a very closely held secret place. As I meandered up the road, all the time searching for the tell tale signs of prospecting activity, I suddenly got the feeling I was being observed. I slowed down and sure enough I spotted some prospectors leering at me like trolls from under their bridge. I got out of my vehicle and was soon beset upon by them. They wanted to know how I found out about this place. I told them that I wasn't after their pot of gold but just the experience of being there.

They were all kind of stunned and asked if I was a prospector and if I had my equipment with me. After conversing with them for an hour or so and finding out I was in the area and looking for colors, they came clean and showed me their quite impressive takes for the day and in some cases for the season. One person even showed me exactly where he found the small nuggets that were in his vial. Another asked me to join him next to where he was digging, but unfortunately for me this wasn't a serious prospecting trip and much to my wife's delight, I declined. Of course I didn't have permission from the landowner and it was posted property. Unfortunately the land owner wasn't home at the time and I couldn't get permission.

I was wondering if those nice Lilliputians were just trying to bait me into prospecting so I might loose permission to prospect there when the land owner got home. I have heard that he usually gives permission when asked but will boot out trespassers who fail to ask.

It is very hard to leave when you see full pans and vials with nuggets. Hopefully next time!

Happy trails and best colors,
    MH#59

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    238 times
    From my experiences, mostly in Maine and New Hampshire, I would say they were trying to feel you out to see if you were a “tree hugger” type. Most New England prospectors understand that our (mostly) glacial gold is so spread out that no one is going to ever find it all.
    Beav likes this.

us
    Feb 2017
    Massachusetts
    45 times
    Prospecting
    Yeah,
    I would proudly call myself a tree hugger type. I know its a rarity among prospectors but I am an environmentalist. I care about the brook trout and caddis flies. The quality of the watershed is important to me. The health of the ecosystem is paramount.

But I also am a realist. I don't think digging in the middle of streambeds does any damage at all. Sometimes I think people who plant gardens/lawns actually do more damage to ecosystems than conscientious prospectors do. Herbicides, pesticides, monoculture? Hmmmm…
    Last edited by Mass Hole No.59; Jun 07, 2018 at 09:40 AM.

us
    Feb 2018
    Western Massachusetts
    23 times
    Prospecting
    A new supervolcano is brewing under Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire

A new supervolcano is brewing under Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire | Fox News

This article is interesting and unexpected. I wonder if it will someday push up fresh gold deposits for new England prospectors in the far future.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1199 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think it might be the same hotspot that built the Keweenaw. I'd expect it'd bring massive amounts of copper and silver.

Short term, it might make gold harder to get, as the ground deformation may open bedrock cracks allowing gold to sink deeper.

us
    Raphael

Dec 2013
    Westfield,Ma
    Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice
    232 times
    Prospecting
    I would not worry about what the earth crust will do in your life time.
    Things move so slow that you will never notice. and as far as gold going deeper is concerned>>do you really think gold is going to be harder to get because the earth crust is going to move about 1 inch in the next 50 years?
    And if you are actually "worried" about a volcano exploding in about 50 Million years then you are overestimating your life expectancy.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1199 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Just depends on how much ground inflation is occurring. Even a millimeter could drop fine gold down a crack a foot or more.

us
    Nov 2012
    Marlborough, Mass
    56 times
    Prospecting

MA/VT/NH Panning

Finally got out for the first prospecting trip of 2018 and was joined by my good prospecting friend Mr.MH 59.
    Went to a new spot of his out in the Couch Brook area. It was a beautiful day and as the pic shows the water levels are low
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531440946.995645.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	1611007

I have been hobbled with some hip issues so was glad to get out but only could go full out for a little over 2 hours
    David panning out his cons from his MacKirk Sluice

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531441075.459008.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	804.3 KB 
ID:	1611008

My take for the day

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531441153.017564.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	724.2 KB 
ID:	1611009

I brought home some classified dirt from the spot we were working and have gotten another 10 or so pieces, a good start to the season.

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer, Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper highbanker, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    9983 times
    Prospecting
    Great to see you guys out there. Makes me reminisce about our adventures!
    Learn where to dig in Colorado on my website www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links