Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
Like Tree578Likes

Thread: MA/VT/NH Panning

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2018
    Western Massachusetts
    32 times
    Prospecting
    Hey folks, hope you all had a great summer, hope you all got to do a lot more prospecting than I did.

I did get out for a couple of hours for some crevicing last week.

Found my best pan ever. Haha, it might not look like much, but that small flake in the middle is the largest piece I've found. Plus there were seven other smaller pieces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181020_155531.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	4.14 MB 
ID:	1649562

Hopefully I find time to get back to that spot again before it snows.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2523 times
    Prospecting
    RTD Have you ever thought about getting a set of classifiers to use before you pan your concentrates for recovery? 4 and 6" diameter screens are pretty inexpensive. 30, 50 and 100 mesh would be my choices and would give you 4 different batches to pan separately. Save your raw mixed size concentrates then classify them down for final recovery at home. You might surprise yourself with more gold.

Good luck
    Last edited by arizau; Nov 06, 2018 at 10:50 AM.
    KevinInColorado likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Feb 2018
    Western Massachusetts
    32 times
    Prospecting
    I classify at the river to 1/2, 1/8, 20 and 50 mesh. I pan it down there, suck out the visible specs and bring the cons home. Lol, thats about as far as it goes though. What I bring home usually goes into a bucket without further processing. Haha, I got about 2.5 gallons of cons that may or may not have gold in it.

The material I usually deal with is very fine. After I classify and toss out the +1/2 there is almost no +1/8. Most of the material ends up being -50 muck. But the +20 and -20 still has a ton of very fine silt in it. Does this mean that I'm not classifying correctly, or is it just the nature of the material I'm working. I've thought about getting a 100 mesh classifier, but do to the amount of fine silt in my larger materials, I kinda figured it wouldn't be worth it.

us
    Nov 2013
    Central N.H
    36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
    392 times
    Prospecting
    Dig deeper get down to the good gravels. The bigger stuff is deeper. And when its gets real hard digging. You should be getting some better amounts of gold. And bedrock would be even better.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2523 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by RTD-Tech View Post
    I classify at the river to 1/2, 1/8, 20 and 50 mesh. I pan it down there, suck out the visible specs and bring the cons home. Lol, thats about as far as it goes though. What I bring home usually goes into a bucket without further processing. Haha, I got about 2.5 gallons of cons that may or may not have gold in it.

The material I usually deal with is very fine. After I classify and toss out the +1/2 there is almost no +1/8. Most of the material ends up being -50 muck. But the +20 and -20 still has a ton of very fine silt in it. Does this mean that I'm not classifying correctly, or is it just the nature of the material I'm working. I've thought about getting a 100 mesh classifier, but do to the amount of fine silt in my larger materials, I kinda figured it wouldn't be worth it.
    Are you stacking your classifiers? Feeding it raw dirt? If you are you will get better results if you first pan/wash the material down to about 1/8" and smaller. Doing that will wash out all or most of the silt with little to no chance of losing any gold no matter how small. Get a collection of washed material before you classify. One thing to avoid when classifying is to overload the screens and that can happen pretty quickly in the smaller mesh sizes especially when stacking the screens...check for this often and dump the contents back through when found overloaded. Overloaded screens block the openings and you will have incomplete classification...maybe partly your case? Keep in mind that plus 50 mesh is more than two times as big as minus 100 mesh and gold that size can be lost to the tails when mixed with plus 50.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by arizau; Nov 08, 2018 at 03:01 PM.
    triple d likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Feb 2018
    Western Massachusetts
    32 times
    Prospecting
    I do stack my classifiers, and I pan it once that particular classifier fills up. I'll try washing it more carefully next time.

Most of the gold hunting I do is bedrock crevicing. I'll break open the cracks with a prybar and work the mud I find inside.

I'll have to ask Mrs. Clause for a 100 mesh for Christmas. Since I'm working with such fine material, should I go smaller than 100 mesh? Is there smaller than 100?
    triple d likes this.

us
    Nov 2012
    Marlborough, Mass
    61 times
    Prospecting

MA/VT/NH Panning

Hi
    Since I work the same general area of Massachusetts as you I have some suggestions. First is deeper is not necessarily going to yield more gold. It’s popular belief we are all getting “Irene Gold” so named after the Tropical Storm that devistated the area 7 years ago. I bought a 12V bulge pump and have a battery that lets me wash 1/2 or 1/8 inch classified material that you can then run thru a Sluice. We have found that most of the Gold is in the first 6 or so inches of overburden or until you hit a clay layer. I think you need to move more material and not classify on site down so small. Do that at home where you can sit with a beer in your garage and pan it out. Also when you are Panning in the River with every pan suck up that line of heavies in your pan, bring it home and dry it out and remove the black sand and then examine for the fine gold with magnifiers or a Microscope. Gold will jump right out at you in the right light.
    Good Luck
    triple d likes this.

us
    Nov 2013
    Central N.H
    36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
    392 times
    Prospecting
    We do get a lot of gold that moves. With the high rivers and streams. But i still believe the best gold is at hard pan. Or bedrock. The wild ammonoosuc is a good example. The gold is moving there all the time.It can be found at any level. But the dredgers get the best gold on bedrock.
    Last edited by triple d; Nov 09, 2018 at 09:05 AM.

us
    Feb 2018
    Western Massachusetts
    32 times
    Prospecting
    I let Delta bribe me into taking a later flight today with an Amazon gift card. I think I might have to use it to get a sluice. There is a good size sand bar in the same spot, i don't think the bedrock is too deep under it.
    triple d likes this.

us
    Nov 2012
    Marlborough, Mass
    61 times
    Prospecting
    A Sluice to consider is Angus MacKirk, I have an Adventurer and a Recon and both catch the gold in varying water conditions. They can be had for under $100. Easy Setup and lightweight. Good First Sluice.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links