Finds sluicing panning salt sand road mix !

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Ben,
It has been my experience that when one shifts, moves, sorts, looks at by pouring out or in anyway messes with
ones gold that some of it always seems to slip away. Your comment about your possible lost 'piece' adds to my experience and feelings of this theory.

Good Success in the future with your prospecting.........63bkpkr

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh, New England ingenuity!
Doesn't the sand mix come from the Mojave? No more paying for bagged concentrates for you folks; not when the city is pouring it down the street for you.
Awesome idea! :headbang:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I can go to the DPW yard where they have tons of the stuff and pick up buckets full for free! I will have to get some more and try it again!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of folks finding fine gold in bags of sand from Home Depot and Lowes. :icon_thumleft:
I might try a bag or two this winter.

GG~

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard of folks finding fine gold in bags of sand from Home Depot and Lowes. :icon_thumleft:
I might try a bag or two this winter.

GG~
GoodGuy. I read that right here on Tnet. Don't remember who, though. I suppose the amount would depend on where in the country that particular Home Depot gets its sand. Take care, friend. TTC

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Ben,
It has been my experience that when one shifts, moves, sorts, looks at by pouring out or in anyway messes with
ones gold that some of it always seems to slip away. Your comment about your possible lost 'piece' adds to my experience and feelings of this theory.

Good Success in the future with your prospecting.........63bkpkr

Quoting 63bkpkr ;

"It has been my experience that when one shifts, moves, sorts, looks at by pouring out or in anyway messes with ones gold that some of it always seems to slip away."

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: funny cause it's often true . I'm gona get a fresh beer on that one
packer . :icon_thumright:

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold Fever on the Outdoor Channel did a show entitled, "Urban Jungle". Tom was at Home Depot picking up bags of sand. You want to get motar/cement sand, as play sand has been washed several times to remove the dirt and trash. (And gold!)

However, as TerryC pointed out, it depends on where they get the sand from. Around Charlotte, NC. You can just about dig anywhere and find at least some specs of gold.

Then there's gold in the asphalt that used to pave streets. The story goes, that a guy was walking by and somethng shiny caught his eye in the street in Old Fort, NC. He pulled out his pocket knife and dug out a 2+ gram gold nugget!

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder if any sand and gravel companies sell black sand :sign13:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to get back to DPW their road sand had plenty of black sand, more than I found up in New Hampshire.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you can go to any home improvement store and buy a bag of unscreened sand. Pan it or run it through a cleanup sluice and you are likely to find a few flakes of gold. Some people have found small pickers.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Here's a pic of a bag of sand I got for my turtles (either from Lowes or Home Depot dont remember which). I panned some of it out and yep, it had some -100 mesh in there as well as black sand.

BangTango

Feb 24, 2009
I read somewhere that the lowe's and home depot people are now salting there sands with a lil gold micro to build up sales of there sand to sale more to us gold panners- I wrote that down somewhere and read it...I Believe everything I read..lol JK.!

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
If it was on the internet you can believe it, they can't put anything that isn't true on the internet!

Where did I hear that? THE INTERNET

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Darrenjay

Oct 10, 2012
South Africa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not in my are, but i live right by the witwatersrand gold reef, one of the richest gold areas in the world

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW! Here in New England we have gold but it is far and few between and a lot of competition for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread