Panning Part Deux

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
Thanks again for all of the input. I practiced literally all week waiting to get back to my bucket of cons. So after classifying down to 1/8 I had about half a 5 gallon bucket to pan out. There was quite a bit of black sand which I assume is magnetite because it did stick to my magnet.

Below are some pics that I could use a little help in understanding what they might be. The first two pics are what I assume is a quartz chunk? I broke a section off wondering if I should crush and pan? The second I am not quite sure. They were at the bottom of my second to last pan. Last two are the same prices of what seem to be quartz nuggets with what I'm hoping MIGHT be the elusive metal I'm panning for. Feedback is most welcome.

image-3600398536.jpg

image-3971670971.jpg

image-175309305.jpg

image-789216603.jpg

image-440716188.jpg

I had a blast today. Definitely more comfortable with the ol' pan now. Saved my pannings too just in case I missed anything. Planning on getting the gold cube. Have a great weekend all!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta say, frost - got my adrenelin pumping! Sorry, but last two pics are too blurry, but pics 2 and 3 are very promising. Yes, you are working with quartz.
The second pic showing the fresh break, has some "vugginess" (holes), - always a good sign. Nr. 3 pic shows some gold IMO. Keep going, i'm starting to
drool.

OP
OP
frost10509

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
Fullpan said:
Gotta say, frost - got my adrenelin pumping! Sorry, but last two pics are too blurry, but pics 2 and 3 are very promising. Yes, you are working with quartz.
The second pic showing the fresh break, has some "vugginess" (holes), - always a good sign. Nr. 3 pic shows some gold IMO. Keep going, i'm starting to
drool.

Thanks for the info. Got my adrenalin pumping too. This was just a test bucket down by a bend in the creek. Stupid frozen white stuff on the ground right now. cant do much of anything. Going to hit it hard during the first thaw though. All I have now for the rest of the winter is about a 1/4 bucket of cons to put through my gold cube when it comes in. I am going to go through withdrawals in a few weeks! Thanks again for the help. :-)

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice looking piece of quartz and pic 3 makes me hate winter in MN even more!!!!!!!

OP
OP
frost10509

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
mattfink said:
Thats a nice looking piece of quartz and pic 3 makes me hate winter in MN even more!!!!!!!

Thanks. Yeah I didn't realize how much I would come to love the search for this stuff. I am not absolutely sure is any of this is gold or not. I know these are just pics but what is your opinion. Any of this look like gold? I have also heard there is a streak test I could do? What exactly is that?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions