Expert Advice Please
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By frost10509
  • 2 Post By Terry Soloman

Thread: Expert Advice Please

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2012
    15 times

Expert Advice Please

Hi all,
    I posted these pics in an earlier thread and I wanted to get a few opinions on whether any of this might be the shiny yellow stuff? I know they're pics but any thoughts you have would be welcomed. For you expert hard rock miners this softball size chunk of quartz is abundant on my site. Does it look promising enough to focus on breaking down and panning? Thanks again for all of your input. I am learning a ton! For those of you who have responded thanks again as always :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3420801848.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	357.8 KB 
ID:	726358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3364289780.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	726359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1524672548.jpg 
Size:	453.1 KB 
ID:	726360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2369621170.jpg 
Size:	465.8 KB 
ID:	726372  
    LuckyThirteen08 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22691 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It is almost impossible to tell you based on these photos. Might be gold, I hope it is, but it might be pyrite. Use a sewing needle and see if it flakes and breaks, or just bends or does not flake. If it is brittle and flakes it is pyrite. If not.. Best of luck!

Dec 2012
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman
    It is almost impossible to tell you based on these photos. Might be gold, I hope it is, but it might be pyrite. Use a sewing needle and see if it flakes and breaks, or just bends or does not flake. If it is brittle and flakes it is pyrite. If not.. Best of luck!
    Thanks Terry. Even if this proves to be pyrite would you say conditions are favorable for gold?
    - area in past has produced gold
    - presence of magnetic black sand
    - tons of quartz
    - presence of pyrite

In your opinion if you were working a spot with theses conditions would you expect to find gold? My conclusion is based on listening to what many people say here regarding what to look for geologically speaking. Overwhelmingly people here all agree you have forgotten more about finding gold than most of us will ever know so I hope I have listened well and are on the right track? Thanks again Terry and good hunting to you too.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22691 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Oh yes, absolutely. The first and best key is that gold has been found in the area, and that all of these other favorable conditions also exist. Best of luck to you, and rockhounds pay nice money for cool pyrite specimens to.

Dec 2012
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman
    Oh yes, absolutely. The first and best key is that gold has been found in the area, and that all of these other favorable conditions also exist. Best of luck to you, and rockhounds pay nice money for cool pyrite specimens to.
    Thanks again Terry!

us
    Jan 2013
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, 4 inch coil, 8 inch coil, 10 inch coil, 11 inch DD coil, Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer
    450 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It could be mica. Often mica appears to be gold colored, It flakes in thin pieces and looks like glitter in water. Gold will be heavier not flutter around in the water. Hopefully its gold.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer.
    7442 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by frost10509 View Post
    Hi all,
    I posted these pics in an earlier thread and I wanted to get a few opinions on whether any of this might be the shiny yellow stuff? I know they're pics but any thoughts you have would be welcomed. For you expert hard rock miners this softball size chunk of quartz is abundant on my site. Does it look promising enough to focus on breaking down and panning? Thanks again for all of your input. I am learning a ton! For those of you who have responded thanks again as always :-)
    Start pulverizing. Pass through a classifier no larger than a #20. Pan the resultant mess. there will be very little turbidity as there is very little dirt. The host rock will be quartz (specific gravity of about 3), pyrite (5), Galena (7), and others that will not come colose to the SG of gold (19), so you should have no trouble panning it out. Good luck! TTC
    Last edited by TerryC; Jan 18, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade. And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him out or cut him 'til he cried out, in his anger and his shame, "I am leaving . I am leaving" but the fighter still remains. The Boxer Simon and Garfunkle

us
    John

Sep 2012
    Grundy VA
    Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
    197 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Gold will bend and flatten but not break,Time for Ye Ole Hammer Test and you will know for sure,Either way though,I think you are on the right track to finding what you r looking for! Best of Luck!!

HH John
    We all know jesus rode a shovelhead,Thats why he walked everywhere he went!!!

Sponsored Links