Expert Advice Please

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
Hi all,
I posted these pics in an earlier thread and I wanted to get a few opinions on whether any of this might be the shiny yellow stuff? I know they're pics but any thoughts you have would be welcomed. For you expert hard rock miners this softball size chunk of quartz is abundant on my site. Does it look promising enough to focus on breaking down and panning? Thanks again for all of your input. I am learning a ton! For those of you who have responded thanks again as always :-)

Attachments

• image-3420801848.jpg
    image-3420801848.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 163
  • image-3364289780.jpg
    image-3364289780.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 172
  • image-1524672548.jpg
    image-1524672548.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 168
  • image-2369621170.jpg
    image-2369621170.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is almost impossible to tell you based on these photos. Might be gold, I hope it is, but it might be pyrite. Use a sewing needle and see if it flakes and breaks, or just bends or does not flake. If it is brittle and flakes it is pyrite. If not.. Best of luck! :occasion14:

OP
OP
frost10509

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
Terry Soloman said:
It is almost impossible to tell you based on these photos. Might be gold, I hope it is, but it might be pyrite. Use a sewing needle and see if it flakes and breaks, or just bends or does not flake. If it is brittle and flakes it is pyrite. If not.. Best of luck! :occasion14:

Thanks Terry. Even if this proves to be pyrite would you say conditions are favorable for gold?
- area in past has produced gold
- presence of magnetic black sand
- tons of quartz
- presence of pyrite

In your opinion if you were working a spot with theses conditions would you expect to find gold? My conclusion is based on listening to what many people say here regarding what to look for geologically speaking. Overwhelmingly people here all agree you have forgotten more about finding gold than most of us will ever know so I hope I have listened well and are on the right track? Thanks again Terry and good hunting to you too.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yes, absolutely. The first and best key is that gold has been found in the area, and that all of these other favorable conditions also exist. Best of luck to you, and rockhounds pay nice money for cool pyrite specimens to. :occasion14:

OP
OP
frost10509

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
Terry Soloman said:
Oh yes, absolutely. The first and best key is that gold has been found in the area, and that all of these other favorable conditions also exist. Best of luck to you, and rockhounds pay nice money for cool pyrite specimens to. :occasion14:

Thanks again Terry!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be mica. Often mica appears to be gold colored, It flakes in thin pieces and looks like glitter in water. Gold will be heavier not flutter around in the water. Hopefully its gold.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,
I posted these pics in an earlier thread and I wanted to get a few opinions on whether any of this might be the shiny yellow stuff? I know they're pics but any thoughts you have would be welcomed. For you expert hard rock miners this softball size chunk of quartz is abundant on my site. Does it look promising enough to focus on breaking down and panning? Thanks again for all of your input. I am learning a ton! For those of you who have responded thanks again as always :-)
Start pulverizing. Pass through a classifier no larger than a #20. Pan the resultant mess. there will be very little turbidity as there is very little dirt. The host rock will be quartz (specific gravity of about 3), pyrite (5), Galena (7), and others that will not come colose to the SG of gold (19), so you should have no trouble panning it out. Good luck! TTC

Last edited:

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold will bend and flatten but not break,Time for Ye Ole Hammer Test and you will know for sure,Either way though,I think you are on the right track to finding what you r looking for! Best of Luck!!

HH John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread