Laurie

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2013
Paulding Ga.
Detector(s) used
non
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I can safely assume all the glittery stuff floating out of the pan is mica.
The rest not so sure, I am attaching a pic for opinions on this stuff imbedded in the quartz.

The thing is so much in the pan is sparkly, so I am unsure of what I am seeing.
I am also curious if the material indicates that I am panning in the right place.

g4.jpg Project02.jpg
g3.jpg Project04.jpg
Project01.jpg

Just a not that the soil is red in Georgia, that may be giving a more gold look to the material I am finding also. It appears more platinum colored to the naked eye.

Upvote 0

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hate to say it, but looks and sounds like pyrite... not to worry though, dig dirt from deeper in the same area. Arseno pyrite (sp?) Laced through quartz like that is a good sign of mineralization and good tectonics in the area.
All the best

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a knife tip and see if the material "breaks" out/off if it crumbs, breaks, flakes, ect...not gold.. Gold will only "bend", flatten, dent,ect. When you see the flakes in your pan, take the back of your fingernail and rub it, gold will not smear, or break. Now for the "glittery stuff floating out of the pan" it could be gold as gold can float. when you see something floating in your pan, put one (1) drop of Jetdry in the water, it will break the tension of the water and gold will drop like a ton of bricks! Good Luck

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Laurie, If not already in your "tool box", get a 10x jeweler's loupe. Look at the stone good. If you have the funds, A mineral scope of about 40-60 power is better. Hope you find something FUN to report to us! TTC

Sungram

Jan 3, 2013
Crush that sucker up and pan it. Never know what's embedded in there. Hope you find something

OP
OP
L

Laurie

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2013
Paulding Ga.
Detector(s) used
non
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the feed back guys. I am doing some reading, it was suggested that I smash some BB's to get an idea of how gold performs in the pan. I am going to do that tomorrow. I think it will help build my confidence in panning correctly. I get so worried with all the sparkle that It takes me like 20 minutes looking at everything with the magnifying glass and smashing it like someone suggested.
I am panning in a wet water creek, which means there is only water in it when it rains. I am checking holes and roots where the sand and quartz have settled. I fill my 5 gallon bucket, bring it to the back yard and pan in another bucket of water. Good thing about that is if I messed up and let the floating gold go I can retrieve it.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Laurie, If not already in your "tool box", get a 10x jeweler's loupe. Look at the stone good. If you have the funds, A mineral scope of about 40-60 power is better. Hope you find something FUN to report to us! TTC

Good advice . I consider magnification a must ............. in the field as well as in the shop .
I use a 2X hand held square and a 10X loupe in the field and shop . I also use a 10X to 60X
stereoscope in the shop on broke down samples . Magnification is a useful tool .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread