image-3470763485.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0

Oceanhawk1

Feb 28, 2013
Miami
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey New Guy here, I've found gold as a Divemaster here at home in Florida, but hope to get out and try panning in GA, NC or SC this spring and summer. I have friends in Alaska I visit for fishing so maybe I'll find a stream and give it shot there too. Any day under wild blue skies is a great day! Newbies need love (and gold) too!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome oceanhawk! I encourage you to bring a pan when you go out in AK, ya never know what you'll find.

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
drywallman.....I am hitting the creeks in the Allatoona area too. How are yall managing them pans with no gloves???LOL! Water is cold right now!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I love it. Anytime you can get a little gold in the pan is a great day!

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the water was very chilly, but when gold fever sets it, it'll warm ya up :-)

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hear that! I went out this morning and was on the creek but 7;15am. My wife thinks I am crazy but I tell her the same thing....See a little yellow in your pan and you forget about everything else!LMAO!

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I hear ya, my buddy's and my wife think were crazy too. Maybe there right?! Ya we didn't even venture out there until 10am on Wednesday.

Oceanhawk1

Feb 28, 2013
Miami
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my pan in the mail the other day along with 20 lbs of paydirt I bought just to practice. I'll be damned, just four or five scoopfuls into the process and I have 2 flakes and an itty bitty picker a bit bigger than the head of a pin. Now if I could only figure out how to stand up after 4 hours of this I'd be in better shape. AND, if my brother tries pouring Goldshlager on my dirt one more time I'm going knock him out. Having fun, very relaxing but OY the back!

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drywallman quick question, How do you season a pan? I'm new to this and just got my first pan.

What you are looking to do is lightly scuffing the pan and also removing any oils from manufacturing. So I would suggest hitting the whole thing real lightly with some fine sandpaper like 200 grit, then wash it out with a little dish soap. Also a drop of dish soap or jet dry will change the surface tension of water and help prevent gold floating while you are panning cons at home. If you've never heard of floating gold check this out...
Good luck to ya out there, have fun.

Float gold video
http://youtu.be/4w5Eg_ms7RA?sc

Bostongold

Mar 13, 2013
Boston Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very new hear but not to prospecting in general. I will be heading down to NC thermal city mine next month.Can anyone recommend a good place to stick a sluice in North Georgia. I don't really want to pay for dirt some else dug . Any info would be great I would even pay a land owner for permission to dig in there creek.

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parts of the Etowaw river you can sluice, there's gold to found in the creeks that feed lake Allatoona, but it's corp o engineers property so pan and shovel only no sluice :-( that's all I got, hopefully someone else has some info

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bostongold.....Ask,ask,ask......and ask some more. The worst thing a person can tell you is "No" and after 43 years I have gotten used to it pretty much so all I do is ask people. I work in a buissness where I deal with clients on a personal basis and 95% of my clients are local to the area(I work in a Tattoo shop). So everytime a client comes in, sometime while they are in front of me,I just ask them in one way or another where they live,is it there property,an creeks running through? I explain to them why I am asking,what I am doing and even show them the gold I have found so far. I won't just drive up on someone's property and ask, I wouldn't want someone doing that to me. And around here everyone has a lot of guns and they like to shoot!LOL! Anyways, I have been asking away now for 2 1/2 months and I finally got to check out my first creek that I got permission to get on and found me a little yellow! Monday I am going to check out the second place which is 80 acres,privately owned with a creek running right through the center and a gold mine a little ways upstream and property has all ways been in the family and as far as anyone can recall,untouched! So we shall see! I have a third creek that I have got permission to go to from a friend.It is on his mom's property but I am just waiting for him to get some free time from work because he wants to go out and check it it out with me. Plus we are waiting on my Angus Mackirk sluice to arrive. So, to sum it up, I have asked everyone and their brother for 2 1/2 months straight,every chance I get and I have got permission three times! Kinda seems like hunting for permission takes just as much work as hunting for that sweet yellow stuff it self!!! Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread