need a decent gold panning location in california

Tkirbykidd

Apr 21, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hi everyone, im new to this site, i just thought i would check it out. I am newish to gold panning, which leaves me at a lack of experience. i live in cameron park california, and im looking for a relatively close location to get a decent amount of gold. i dont expect much, but it would be nice to get more than one tiny flake every trip lol. ive been up to lotus, and salmon falls to try my luck at panning. unfortunately the only way i could get a decent amount in those areas is with a sluice box, which i cannot afford. im hoping to get enough gold eventually to put towards a sluice box, so that getting a decent amount in those areas is a possibility. ive heard that coloma has some good spots, but im hoping to get a more specific location than just a city lol. i understand that people dont like giving away their prime locations, but im hoping someone could give up one of their like top 5 spots or something. i would really appreciate any help, as i have extreme gold fever and getting that tiny flake each time is not sufficient lol. Thank you in advance :)

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
Until someone pipes in - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn to snipe. Work BR cracks . You don't much in the way of equipment at all. A gold pan and a butterknife

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kidd and welcome. Unfortunately your chances of getting much gold (more than a few flakes per pan) are very slim. Panning is used to sample an area to see if it is worth working and as a cleanup tool. To use it to try to make any money just ain't goin to happen. To have any hope to make any money you have to move alot of material and you can't do that panning. And then there is no promise you will then either. There is a very slim chance you might stick your shovel into a rich pocket and pan it out but you probably have a better chance at the lottery. Take your time, join a club and learn all you can and save up for a sliuce or maybe borrow a club members and learn the ropes. This is a very rewarding activity but it is hard work.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a friendly guy (sorry I don't know his name) that works at Placerville Hardware.
Me and my son were looking for a place to pan and he shared a couple decent locations with us.
Plus they sell sluice boxes, some priced at $35.

Quickpan Dan

Feb 2, 2013
Kinda on the 80 side but I love the north and middle forks of the American. Mineral bar , shirttail creek at the bottom of Yankee Jim's road, the river or the creeks at the bottom of drivers flat rd, Cherokee bar out of Greenwood to name a few

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread