Gold panning laws in Michigan

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, really want the MXT though.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone from Michigan? I am, and was just looking up the State laws for gold anything and it pretty much makes it impossible to do any panning even. Of course you cannot gold pan in any natural streams, and rivers. But what actually classifies a stream or river "natural"? Anyone know? Cannot look for gold in designated trout streams or rivers either, I understand that but, how much would minor panning cause damage to the river and stream enviroment? Now these laws are all against looking for gold in all of the places well, most of the places where gold in Michigan will most likely be found. It is not like we live in CA, or AZ, although that would be nice. Just wanted to get other folks opinions, or experiences. Thanks.:icon_scratch:???

Upvote 0

Crewsader

Apr 24, 2013
Hi, I'm in Waterford Michigan and just started prospecting. I have seen the rules for panning and sluicing and as far as I can tell it says you can pan and sluice on state lands with nothing bigger than a 52" sluice while not disturbing the banks. Protected trout streams and rivers are not allowed as natural rivers also but I have looked on the web site and there are only about a dozen "natural" rivers listed, which leaves many that are not. I wish I knew the site to tell you but it's somewhere in the Michigan government sites, a google search should help you find it. I have also found some flour gold on my first try this spring, although it was small I have certainly caught the gold fever and plan on doing a lot of prospecting in Michigan. Good luck!

OP
OP
Whitesmxt66

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, really want the MXT though.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crewsader,

I have seen that as well, adn you are correct about the dozen or so not aloud to be prospected. and I guess I am worried that they are not clear enough, with some gray areas, that I do not want to get in trouble for something i miss interpret. Good luck, and hope to see you around.

Crewsader

Apr 24, 2013
Well, after further research on Michigans laws on gold prospecting I found that you need a permit to use a sluice on rivers and streams and can only be done in July and August and the fee is 50 bucks and you have to tell them where you are going to use it and that is limited to 300 feet. After navigating their site I still could not find an application for the permit anywhere. A real pain in the butt using their web site. I talked to several DNR officers last week and they are completely ignorant of prospecting rules and were no help at all. I will still continue my search for gold regardless. The site says you can pan without a permit.

Crewsader

Apr 24, 2013
Any other Michigan gold prospectors out here? I'm in the Waterford area and I've been out twice with my sluice for a couple hours each time and I've found about a dozen small flakes and also came up with eight small gem stones of some kind, not bad and it was very educational for me. I was on the Clinton River near Rochester. Just gonna continue to look for streams and rivers I can pan and sluice on. Any good spots out there?

goldhungry

Jan 2, 2009
Kimball. Mi
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark. Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crewsader, it is tough to find any good spots in Michigan. There are a few out there I have heard but the best spot I ever found is now closed to the public. They are all hit and miss around the east side of the state. Remember you cannot prospect any rivers or streams that are designated trout streams. Visit the Michigan GPAA site for some really good info. They have monthly outings with the first one of the year coming up in a couple of weeks. May your pan shine withe yellow fever.

Crewsader

Apr 24, 2013
I've become aware of the protected trout streams and plan on staying away from them. You mentioned a spot closed to the public, any chance of getting permission from the owners?

goldhungry

Jan 2, 2009
Kimball. Mi
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark. Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No chance. It is part of an active gravel mining operation and MIOSHA is the one that stopped it.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
No chance. It is part of an active gravel mining operation and MIOSHA is the one that stopped it.

Just a thought but MIOSHA has no authority over private individuals.... So if you stay small operation and pan no permit required then as long as you have the blessing of the land owner.

have several nice ones in the UP that friends say I can come anytime, one in the mid state area, all private lands, friends by invite only...

N down here in in in the BC area I know of several sites on private land that I have access to, as well as one on open public land just up stream and good for panning from an LDMA claim... ;-)

Last edited:

Jdub15

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2015
Taylor, mi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I have thought about poking around up in that area. I live downriver and have some family up around you. Maybe we'll see each other on the banks ☺

Jdub15

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2015
Taylor, mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The barkus park campground in lyons, mi is a pay to pan site. I went out there a couple times recently and did get some fine flour gold. It wasn't much but I don't care, it's the thrill of the hunt for me.

Jdub15

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2015
Taylor, mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crewsader: I am a michigan prospector. I have only just started last year and bought my first metal detector this summer. I do have a small backpack style sluice but find it to be not much help at increasing the volume of dirt I can process. Personally, I prefer my pan. I have only found very small flakes and what I consider to be "micro" gold and I'm worried that it would get washed out of my sluice. The two trips I made out this year yielded so little that it doesn't register on my little scale. Prospecting in michigan is definitely a labor of love.

Jdub15

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2015
Taylor, mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went adventuring in the Rochester area of the Clinton river today. Went to 3 different parks, got a lot of black sand and what looks like small garnets but not a single speck. Worked my way through, Bloomer park, holland ponds and yates. When I got up to yates park I saw there was a dam. No wonder there was no gold. Couldn't get any farther upstream. Took my metal detector out too, did not have luck with that either. I had high hopes too, bummer.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I went adventuring in the Rochester area of the Clinton river today. Went to 3 different parks, got a lot of black sand and what looks like small garnets but not a single speck. Worked my way through, Bloomer park, holland ponds and yates. When I got up to yates park I saw there was a dam. No wonder there was no gold. Couldn't get any farther upstream. Took my metal detector out too, did not have luck with that either. I had high hopes too, bummer.

Good job getting out there to sample around! Couple thoughts:
1. That dam hasn't been there long enough to matter. 100 years is nothing to Mother Nature!
2. You may want to seek some local guidance on where to dig in that river. Gold can be tricky :)

panman1963

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442669713.410642.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442669740.326957.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442669763.626604.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442669811.863673.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442669838.580010.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442669883.203419.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442669915.655654.jpg
Been pretty good this summer for me in Michigan almost a gram of gold this year some from my secret area drain culverts Barkus Park and Rogue River In Rockford ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442670287.897992.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442670376.569237.jpg

reo12

Jun 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More accurate info on mining law

MIOSHA does not regulate private individuals.. It is the US department of Labor - Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) that is the problem. They have jurisdiction over any mine - ANYWHERE in the USA. They make no distinction for size - in fact - mining as an individual is considered unsafe as you could get hurt an have no one to help you.

Mining is defined as the act of changing an naturally occurring mineral resource from it's naturally occurring state - and where ever that occurs is a mine. The act of changing the resource is typically crushing, screening, washing, or blending. it does not mean digging a hole and trucking out the material - as it came from the ground. They require 12 hours of mine specific safety training each year for anyone who performs work in the mine. Work can be delivering goods or services -if the individual does work while on the mine property - ambulance and fire services - mine operators and employee's. This is why it is not allowed for an individual to enter a mine site and mine even if just to separate with a pan.

Sadly - I ran a business and operated a mine by myself to supply raw aggregate to the business. I was absolutely S"""" on by the system and the Feds attorney. It cost me my business, my health, thousands of documented hours of work toward compliance and thousands of dollars - all for nothing. They had no intention of letting me continue to operate by myself.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I haven't done any research on Michigan's mining laws in a long time BUT the last I remember there were only a few places where you could keep there gold. The state owns all the minerals . maybe they still do ,I dont know or plan to go there anymore. I'm to old and beat up !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread