Does anyone know of any gold producing places near Denver Colorado?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just about every stream and waterway in Denver has some gold. What are you close to?

In town you will find all cities ban gasoline powered gear and digging where it's dry. That said you are welcome on Clear Creek in Golden except on Coors property, Wheatridge ONLY west of I-70, Denver, unincorporated Adams Co. Also on the South Platte thru Arapahoe, Denver and Adams counties (except some city parks in Arapahoe county). Many smaller streams have gold too. Check the county assessor online maps for your area of interest to determine ownership of smaller creeks then ask the owner for permission as relevant. ALWAYS respect private property and you will do great!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

magickoutlaw

Greenie
Jun 17, 2013
I'm coming out from Nebraska so I want my trip to be worthwhile haha, do you know anyone that would let me pan on their land? thanks

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, there is lots of river that is publicly owned in the areas I described. A quick look on the county assessor sites will show you this.

Commonly accessed areas include
- Adams county open space along Clear Creek in North Central Denver
- go to Clear Creek Prospecting Supply at 70th &Broadway (sw corner) to get pointed to a spot or two near their store (they are only 1 block from decent gold!)
- go to Gold-N-Detectors at 8th & Washington in Golden and ask about their suggestions including access to the claim Bill holds a lease on (you will have to sign a waiver) a couple miles west in the Clear Creek Canyon
- The half mile west(up stream) of where Clear Creek crosses under I-70 near the Youngfield St exit on the west edge of Wheatridge
- the area west of Washington Street on Clear Creek in Golden
- Grant-Frontier Park just south of Evans Ave on the South Platte River

And if you want to go exploring, try other Denver or Adams County parks along those waterways...some have good gold!

OP
OP
M

magickoutlaw

Greenie
Jun 17, 2013
Well, there is lots of river that is publicly owned in the areas I described. A quick look on the county assessor sites will show you this.

Commonly accessed areas include
- Adams county open space along Clear Creek in North Central Denver
- go to Clear Creek Prospecting Supply at 70th &Broadway (sw corner) to get pointed to a spot or two near their store (they are only 1 block from decent gold!)
- go to Gold-N-Detectors at 8th & Washington in Golden and ask about their suggestions including access to the claim Bill holds a lease on (you will have to sign a waiver) a couple miles west in the Clear Creek Canyon
- The half mile west(up stream) of where Clear Creek crosses under I-70 near the Youngfield St exit on the west edge of Wheatridge
- the area west of Washington Street on Clear Creek in Golden
- Grant-Frontier Park just south of Evans Ave on the South Platte River

And if you want to go exploring, try other Denver or Adams County parks along those waterways...some have good gold!

Wow this should help a lot! thanks kevin, appreciate it

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks BHP, I know you'd do the same for your visitors!

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks guys, appreciate it

Some time ago a nugget seller said he got most his Colo nuggets from a guy panning Clear Creek in the urban areas. I have a version of "Gold Maps Online" for Colo. It shows placer and other gold claims in the state. Nothing shown around Denver so your best bets are around Golden. I have "seen' some color there but nothing worth braggin about.

Another friend looks at all tree roots along any stream or river he is near. Maybe with a detector or probe, he didn't say. But claims to have more success that way than panning. Be aware that undercutting the bank is not allowed in many areas but it's worth a shot. Good Luck................
BB

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some time ago a nugget seller said he got most his Colo nuggets from a guy panning Clear Creek in the urban areas. I have a version of "Gold Maps Online" for Colo. It shows placer and other gold claims in the state. Nothing shown around Denver so your best bets are around Golden. I have "seen' some color there but nothing worth braggin about.

Another friend looks at all tree roots along any stream or river he is near. Maybe with a detector or probe, he didn't say. But claims to have more success that way than panning. Be aware that undercutting the bank is not allowed in many areas but it's worth a shot. Good Luck................
BB

Sorry Bob, you are missing a key point...there are no claims in metro Denver because none of it is federal land. In metro Denver you are a guest of a local government or a private landowner. Happily there's plenty of gold by most people's standards.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry Bob, you are missing a key point...there are no claims in metro Denver because none of it is federal land. In metro Denver you are a guest of a local government or a private landowner. Happily there's plenty of gold by most people's standards.

A good reminder that those maps often understate the gold bearing areas significantly! Even the book published by the state geologist here in CO is missing some really great producing areas that I have found or been taken to myself...gotta get out there sampling around or find a local who knows. Really.

rebelstate

Apr 29, 2014
Greer,sc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Coming to Denver in July , bringing my 4 inch dredge with air, doing lots of research before I get there, any laws changed ? Found this thread on search . I'm coming from sc, any info appreciated, also anyone in area that would be willing to show me around would be great! Visiting for a week in July

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehh hehh :) I've found fine flood gold as far east as Westminster in Clear Creek. Kevin's got it down cold for good area's to look. Have fun. My two cents.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Coming to Denver in July , bringing my 4 inch dredge with air, doing lots of research before I get there, any laws changed ? Found this thread on search . I'm coming from sc, any info appreciated, also anyone in area that would be willing to show me around would be great! Visiting for a week in July
Hi, no changes in the laws here, all good. For a 4 inch you don't need any permits except on the Arkansas River. So you can dredge:
- on a federal claim or private property (with permission in both cases of course)
- on Clear creek up stream of "Tunnel 1" which is a little west of Golden in clear Creek canyon ...this area is very popular with dredgers but gets refreshed with gold each spring, especially this one!
- on a club claim, I recommend Colorado Gold Camp for dredgers as they have claims that do well dredging. If you want to join you have to download a waiver and send it in with your dues...well in advance of your visit. I'm not a dredger myself so I'm not a member but have several friends who love it!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Having also been in metro Denver, I can collaborate Kevin's suggestions. There is gold at all the places he mentioned.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, no changes in the laws here, all good. For a 4 inch you don't need any permits except on the Arkansas River. So you can dredge:
- on a federal claim or private property (with permission in both cases of course)
- on Clear creek up stream of "Tunnel 1" which is a little west of Golden in clear Creek canyon ...this area is very popular with dredgers but gets refreshed with gold each spring, especially this one!
- on a club claim, I recommend Colorado Gold Camp for dredgers as they have claims that do well dredging. If you want to join you have to download a waiver and send it in with your dues...well in advance of your visit. I'm not a dredger myself so I'm not a member but have several friends who love it!

Also GPOC has claims that can be dredged on the Arkansas River, up to 4" dredge. Membership is $25. You have to also have a GPOC dredge permit ($25). They also have claims on Beaver Creek above Fairplay and the permit is good there also. There area other areas you can dredge on the Ark River, but you will have to pay the BLM for a dredge permit. I think it is about $25 but there is also a bond to be posted. I don't work their areas, so I am not sure. You can pan and sluice without the fee on BLM lands.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Magickoutlaw, You can pan the areas Kevin mentioned. You can join a local club with claims like Gold Prospectors of Colorado or Colorado Gold Camp; both have areas that you can pan, sluice, dredge, high bank, etc.

Also Cache Creek is open but no mechanized equipment. You can sluice fairly successfully there. Cache Creek is BLM land just west of Granite, Colorado (Arkansas River area south of Leadville and Twin Lakes). HTH.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
I can vouch for these areas. Last august i went to denver. Found gold in every pan. Less and finer in clear creek than cache but its still everywhere

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread