Arizona Anyone?

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
There are LOTS of people right where you are and gold very close. Google is going to be more friendly than the guys here. Noones going to just give u their good spots. You gota find em. Start searching the net for AZ gold panning and recreational gold prospecting. There is alot if info. Oh and AZ has some of the best gold left in the country you lucky mutt!!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup! There's gold all over this state. Our biggest problem is the lack of water in the southern areas. From large nuggets in the west part of the state to fine flour gold it's there if you want to take the time to look for it. Grizzly is right though that no one is going to give out maps to their favorite spots! Even so all it takes is a bit of research to learn where some good spots are. Check into resources that are on-line to get started and feel free to contact me for further info.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to gold part of the forum.
I live over here by Queen Valley.
I am going to join the club that there headquarters is at Promack Mining in Apache Junction.
Here is there site

They are only $75.00 a year and have club claims all over. Including around the Bradshaws or Weaver mountains.
I was just there yesterday and bought another 7 inch Garrett gold pan.
Pick a Garrett up for sure.
They will teach you how to pan in there tub.
Purchased my first detector when I signed up here,now I am going to buy a Gold detector.
Keep in touch.
I am trying to get a few of us together to make a small group that lives in the valley,and go out together without large crowds.
I have 3 people already.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And look up TerryC on the forum, click on "find latest posts", scan back a ways and you'll find he runs a prospectors camp not too far from Phoenix. Be perfect
to spend a couple days with him when the weather cools off a bit.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Yuma , if you look at my sig the gold in that pan is AZ gold .......its out there

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I'm also in Arizona, Queen Creek area. Long time coin/relic hunter just getting into gold prospecting. I've been reading a ton on the subject. I just picked up a used Keene 140 drywasher and I'm in the market for a gold machine - probably the Gold Bug Pro. I just joined the Superstition Treasure hunter group so I am looking forward to heading out to some of the local claims. If anyone needs someone to shovel some dirt, let me know - I'm looking to get out regularly but I'm not quite sure where to begin. PM me.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Yuma , if you look at my sig the gold in that pan is AZ gold .......its out there

Hey Tank - I lived and played in around the Dateland area for a couple years. The story was there's gold in the Gila river there - ever try it (the lower Gila?)
Also the KOFA area - just curious. It was before I knew much about prospecting.

Very nice yellow in your pan btw! (La Paz?)

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I prospect all over Arizona and the desert southwest. There is some of the best gold ground in the nation within a two or three hour drive from your location in Scottsdale. I've even gotten decent gold right out of Cave Creek just up the road from you.

The Superstition Mountain Treasure Club is a good choice. Dan is a great guy and you will get a quick education from the members there. If you can get the time to go on one of their outings to the Rye claim you will be surprised at how much gold even a newbie can find in one day.

Near Wickenburg there are several notable gold areas including the Little San Domingo district just south of Wickenburg near the junction of HWY 60 and the Lake Pleasant HWY. The Vulture district just Southwest of Wickenburg. The Weaver District and Rich Hill just North of Wickenburg. You've also got the Black Canyon district at Rock Springs and Black Canyon City right on Interstate 17 just north of Phoenix. All of these produce good gold in nugget and fines.

For the summer hot season you can find good gold in several areas of the Bradshaw Mountains. The coolest areas include Prescott (built on top of a placer deposit - you can find gold panning in the streams right in town). Prescott Valley which includes the free and very rich Lynx Creek district which is open to public panning with campgrounds a lake and within a few minutes of town. There are dozens of very productive areas in the mountains there.

Also there is the Greaterville District about 40 minutes south of Tucson. Best gold district in the Southwest in my experience and virtually unknown. Cool grass lands with oak forest on the slopes of the Santa Rita mountains. A great place for a summer visit for easy camping and great prospecting - including over 3,000 acres of land open to free prospecting. Gold Basin and Lost Basin districts next to the Lake Mead Recreation Area in the northwest is a favorite of metal detectorists and produces many nuggets.

For the winter Quartzsite has three huge placer districts within sight of town. Great winter climate and very friendly to prospectors and long or short term campers.

There are lots more in Arizona. All of these districts have unclaimed areas open to the adventurous prospector with great chances of success. For the beginner prospector I would suggest working with prospecting club claims for the encouragement and free sharing of knowledge and equipment. Once you have learned the ropes you can move on to less explored areas that aren't restricted to the heavily worked club claims.

There are many prospecting clubs in Arizona including some really great ones with some really great claims. The Treasure Hunters you joined are one of the friendliest groups and a good choice for the beginner. There are others with more claims but the greater choice is reflected in the price and seriousness of the club members.

Unlike some other prospectors I am happy to share good spots. I won't generally give you the exact spot to dig or post it publicly but if you have an area in mind and I know the better parts of it I will share what I know. It will still be up to you to get there and do the work of digging or beeping, I'm not going to do the hard work or guarantee you will get rich. After more than 40 years of prospecting I can confidently say there is plenty left for everyone so I'm not afraid you will take what's left.

Outback Bill

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2017
Westport CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to gold part of the forum.
I live over here by Queen Valley.
I am going to join the club that there headquarters is at Promack Mining in Apache Junction.
Here is there site

They are only $75.00 a year and have club claims all over. Including around the Bradshaws or Weaver mountains.
I was just there yesterday and bought another 7 inch Garrett gold pan.
Pick a Garrett up for sure.
They will teach you how to pan in there tub.
Purchased my first detector when I signed up here,now I am going to buy a Gold detector.
Keep in touch.
I am trying to get a few of us together to make a small group that lives in the valley,and go out together without large crowds.
I have 3 people already.

I'm interested if you are still looking for new friends!

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Clay ...you are a true gentleman ..to give tips to fellow prospectors without even thinking like a secret agent is commendable...plus your Mylandmatters site that all in USA should utilise (wish there was something similar in Aust.) You definately have a place waiting for you behind the Pearly (golden) Gates...😊

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread